Is it really that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it really that bad?

Is the accelleration in the Festiva bad?

My girlfriend's 323 takes off like an old dog with that excitement in her eyes but no power in the legs. The 323 is an automatic and mashing the gas does nothing but reverberate the sound of ten hamsters scampering under the hood.

The Festy that I'm looking at is an automatic as well. I'd prefer a 5 speed but assume I can swap one in later if it's that bad.

Will I be passed by granny on a hoverround or is it tolerable?
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

My first Festiva was an automatic and my current Festiva is an automatic and they aren't bad. I get 35 MPG with mixed driving. If the engine is worn out, then obviously it's going to feel like a dog. But if you don't like it, then you can swap to a five speed easily.
    '90 LX

Comment

The festy is only 60hp and u can plan on less than that to the wheels with an auto vs. A manual.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
      1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
      R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
      00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
      03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
      pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
      Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
      Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

The festiva acceleration rivals that of my Jetta under 50mph. The highway is the only place the lack of power of the festiva actually shows.
        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

I didn't mind in my 91 manual. It's definitely peppy. I love when I can keep up with ricers around town.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
            The festiva acceleration rivals that of my Jetta under 50mph. The highway is the only place the lack of power of the festiva actually shows.
            I can totally see that in the 323 as well.

For around town though, you're all giving positive feedback, awesome.

Well, I'm going to check out the car tomorrow! I'll have to bring the camera and post back.
            -Zack

Comment

I agree with that. My car does great 1/8 mile times but the qtr mile sucks I only gain 10 mph from the 1/8 to the qtr lol but even when I had the b3 it was peppy till 4th gear then its just a gutless economy car lol

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
              1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
              R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
              00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
              03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
              pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
              Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
              Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

I'd disagree completely, personally. My 5 speed 93 feels slow as dirt wherever I am, and slower than dirt on the highway. I can't pull hills in 5th without the car slowing down on its own, even with it floored.

Maybe something's wrong with mine, but it can't compare at all to the feel of my old 5 speed neon and mine was the grocery getter version. Night and day.
                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

My 5 speed Festiva will out run my daughter's Aveo no problem!
                  1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                  1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                  1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                  1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                  1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                  1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                  1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

0-60 for a 5 speed is around 10 seconds. Thats quite respectable compared to the other subcompacts of the time.

The autos I've driven are adequately peppy up to 40-50. Very fun around town. I would say they arent really noticeably slower than a 5 speed.

If you need more pep a B6 would do just fine with the stock auto. Or keep the B3 and swap in an aspire auto.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                      I'd disagree completely, personally. My 5 speed 93 feels slow as dirt wherever I am, and slower than dirt on the highway. I can't pull hills in 5th without the car slowing down on its own, even with it floored.

Maybe something's wrong with mine, but it can't compare at all to the feel of my old 5 speed neon and mine was the grocery getter version. Night and day.
                      You need to learn what 5th is for

My 5 speed, well, four ATM, does fine around town as a manual. On the highway, well, keep the revs up and you do a'ight....
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I have a 91 5spd with 250kms and a 92 5spd with 150k. The 91 is way quicker then the 92 and I don't know why. I wonder if the computers are different? Thinking about swapping them. I have just ordered Rocketman chips for the 92 to see if that helps.

Comment

Mine comes off the line pretty decent for what it is but it has no balls whatsoever past about 40mph. Of course i'm using to 420hp

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                            You need to learn what 5th is for

My 5 speed, well, four ATM, does fine around town as a manual. On the highway, well, keep the revs up and you do a'ight....
                            I got used to never having to down shift on the freeway unless it was a very steep hill.

It's simple, I think. About 30lbs per hp in a Festiva or about 18.5lbs per hp in the Neon. Gearing is similar with the Festiva having a slight edge with final drive ratio IIRC. The difference is VERY noticeable and once you're used to a "higher" level, it compounds the boringness of lower ones. Like getting used to a BPT swapped Festy and then driving your B3 DD.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I'll be coming from a 4.6L V8 with 200 some horsies so... the highway hasn't been a problem and as a matter of fact, I have a few 'awards' from the government!
                              -Zack

Comment

Working...
                              X