Is it really that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
    The festiva acceleration rivals that of my Jetta under 50mph. The highway is the only place the lack of power of the festiva actually shows.
    I agree with this completely. I'm crazy to be swapping out my B3, because I do 95% city driving hahaha. I love my neighbourhood go cart. I love how loud the engine (read as: not exhaust, but engine) gets when you really get on it.

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
    0-60 for a 5 speed is around 10 seconds. Thats quite respectable compared to the other subcompacts of the time. If you need more pep a B6 would do just fine with the stock auto. Or keep the B3 and swap in an aspire auto.
    This was my recommendation as well.

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
    You need to learn what 5th is for

My 5 speed, well, four ATM, does fine around town as a manual. On the highway, well, keep the revs up and you do a'ight....
    Yep, overdrive for the win! As long as you aren't driving through the Rockies with a combined 600lbs of human and gear... in which case you play the shifting game: 5434343432345434343432.

Originally posted by denguy View Post
    I have a 91 5spd with 250kms and a 92 5spd with 150k. The 91 is way quicker then the 92 and I don't know why. I wonder if the computers are different? Thinking about swapping them. I have just ordered Rocketman chips for the 92 to see if that helps.
    Uh... you ordered Rocketman chips for a B3? You realize those are for B6T ECU's, right? Unless he pioneered a B3 chip in the last two days...

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
    I'll be coming from a 4.6L V8 with 200 some horsies so... the highway hasn't been a problem and as a matter of fact, I have a few 'awards' from the government!
    LOL nicely worded.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
      1. 0-60 for a 5 speed is around 10 seconds. Thats quite respectable compared to the other subcompacts of the time.

2. The autos I've driven are adequately peppy up to 40-50. Very fun around town. I would say they arent really noticeably slower than a 5 speed.

3. If you need more pep a B6 would do just fine with the stock auto. Or keep the B3 and swap in an aspire auto.
      1. I always felt my B3 was healthy; about 17.7 in the 1/4. Only mods then were drilled out lower airbox cover and more timing. Drilled-out cat mighta helped even more. If yours is slow or getting poor mileage but otherwise running well, the cat might be clogged. It happens gradually, so you don't notice it.

2. Adequately peppy up to 40-50 means not peppy above that! Fail. Plus worse MPG.

3. +1 billion on the B6, even non-turboed. Very little MPG penalty too.
      Last edited by TominMO; 12-30-2010, 11:34 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

0-25 in an auto festy is painful to me. The 4/5 speed is quick and fun.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

My auto B3 feels like a dog but working on rebuild and dropping a nicely finished B3 in. Wish I had a 5 speed tho.
          90 LX Auto with 120k miles

Comment

My old/my dad's current 91 pop yellow 5 speed is pretty quick. A bonneville and explorer found that out this morning. It's quicker than his other 5 speed. The auto isn't bad with a little advanced timing and a few other mods. I'd go with the 5spd if it wasn't for all the city driving I do.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

A B3 is for economy, plain and simple, they are so small that calling them "peppy" kinda seems weird :lol: when I go from driving my festiva, then to jump in my aspire just bores the hell out of me, but I will say the first 3 gears of a B3, aren't that terrible but just don't expect to set any records either

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Well the automatic only has three gears, so here I go! ;D
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

^^i was talking about a 5 speed though, auto's are worse lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Gee, i'm so glad I installed my Weber

I go up some hills without "stepping' further on the gas peddle and it accelerates up hills when when I do step on it. :p
                    I'll be driving along, look down and i'm doing 75 or 80. Hope I dont get any "awards".
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                      Gee, i'm so glad I installed my Weber

I go up some hills without "stepping' further on the gas peddle and it accelerates up hills when when I do step on it. :p
                      I'll be driving along, look down and i'm doing 75 or 80. Hope I dont get any "awards".
                      So you're driving an auto? I guess there isn't much I can do by way of fuel injected B3 then

Except for turboing it, haha. :p
                      -Zack
                      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Mine doesn't have any problems going 75mph...it just takes forever to get there. It'll maintain and cruise right along with traffic, i just have to say a prayer when i'm merging into traffic especially if it's up hill lol.

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

So you're driving an auto? I guess there isn't much I can do by way of fuel injected B3 then

Search for username "mattdickmeyer". There are options without a motor swap to warm up a Festiva. He's a great guy to buy from and knows his stuff.
                          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Mine is a 4 speed stick. (i want a 5 sp)
                            and like sketchman said, mattdickmeyer is a good source for info. You can advance your timing some and get a better performance curve.
                            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

What's a B3?

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                                What's a B3?
                                The stock festiva engine.
                                91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                                14 C7 Z51

Comment

Working...
                                X