Power steering-what you don't know won't hurt you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering-what you don't know won't hurt you

I know that a VERY large percentage of Festiva owners on here don't have P/S. I am here to tell you guys that after driving my cousin's Festiva for a month now without p/s I miss it A LOT. My first and only Festiva was a 90L-Plus that did have it. Kinda wish I still had the car. Basically what I am saying is if your buddy has p/s don't drive it then you will never now what you are missing unless you know where to find a good p/s setup. Brian tried to get it from me on several occasions.
    -Bryant

No power steering is for REAL men
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

Since I've never driven a PS equipped Festy, I can't argue with you.

However, I really really really don't mind missing an extra fluid reservoir to check and add fluid to. And to remove, work on, work around, worry about, stock fluid for...

I do like the feeling of "direct road connection" from an unpowered rack and pinion. Loved it on my Chevette, both my '81 and '85 Civics, and all my Festivas.

Had two K cars with PS. At over 2500 pounds, they did need it, but it was kinda numb for road feel and if I had begun working on them, I'd hate to have had to mess with all the extra parts. Fortunately, all I ever did was brake work and two radiator replacements so the PS was not an issue.

Now if I were dirtyfilthystinking rich, I'd probably want at least ONE Festy with PS. Why? Do I even have to explain to anyone here? I bet you all know why.

Just my opinion. YMMV, etc.

Karl
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM.
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

When I drive my wife's 626 I notice the huge difference of with and without power steering, it is something I would love to have, but what I really love is it is one less thing to break on the festiva not having it.

Comment

Eh...it's pretty useless on a car with 5 inch wide tires and a contact patch smaller than my hand. Try driving a Mustang with 245/50/17s in the front with no power steering. That'll give you the Popeye forearms after a week of driving it.

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

Never had power steering on a festiva, never really bothered me. Just get used to rolling slowly while turning, it's better for your tires anyway.

The festiva didn't even get a quicker ratio rack with the PS did it?
            OX SMASH!!

Comment

Plus if you have PS in Missouri, it will fail the safety test if you have leaking PS fluid or a bad rack. This happened on my Outback and it cost me $700 or more, parts and labor. PS on Festivas seems pointless to me, unless the driver is very feeble.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I'm with Karl here. One less fluid to stain the concrete.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Brian has a full PS setup with proper a/c lines and all. ....cough....cough.....
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I'm used to 2400lbs with a 14:1 rack. It was supposed to be power. I fixed that. I drive my Festiva with one hand and usually 2 fingers. Feels as limp as a wet noodle to me. My favorite is 18:1 manual. Good balance of feel, effort, and quickness IMO. It's all in what you like. If my Festiva had PS I'd probably be scrubbing sideways before I knew I'd turned the wheel.
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                      brian has a full ps setup with proper a/c lines and all. ....cough....cough.....
                      Yes I do!!
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

The Pride power steering will fit the Festiva too. But it's a little expensive to ocean freight.

You will need the power steering rack, power steering pump and the power steering reservoir.
                        I just realized that these are Mirko's items!
                        I have an extra Festiva power steering reservoir in case you can't find one.

The only other items that are required are the short steering column knuckle boot (which I got from an Aspire with power steering) and the extra crankshaft pulley for those without air conditioning.

I am guilty of having no tensioner pulley with my air.
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 01-07-2011, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                          Yes I do!!
                          is that proper a/c stuff the a/c stuff you got off me.
                          -Bryant

Comment

turning 15's is like a workout, get jacked in no time :p

i dont find it that bad.... even with the heavy bp and G its fine....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

You guys are wusses. What's the Festy steering ratio?
                              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
                              X