No announcement yet.

Power steering-what you don't know won't hurt you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a 91' GL today with power steering. The power steering will be the first thing to go. I like how a manual rack festiva drives much better over the Power steering setup.
    Previous:
    1991 GL. (01' ranger lights!) P/S,A/C Sold to Mum.
    1990 auto. hacked up rally toy.
    1988 5 speed. The pile
    1993 5 speed.
    1995 5 speed aspire. Gutted for the 90' auto.

Comment

May I buy it? pm sent.
      Last edited by neanderpaul; 02-10-2011, 06:13 AM.
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

My last car was a Nissan Stanza with 175s and 14" rims. The power steering broke on that and it didn't have rack and pinion. I drove it like that until I sold it recently. Then again, I go to the gym and am pretty jacked.

I also have a 1978 Datsun 280Z with no power steering and it drove like it did. Sure as hell threw some people off.

To me it's really weird to go into a car with PS now. I feel more like turning a page in a book then steering a car. I feel so...distant from the road.

I can give you one example of TOO MUCH power steering. My friend had an 88 Integra with a motor swapped from a CRV (the little crossover). He also swapped over the PS system from that. Keep in mind, this system was built to steer something over 4000lbs, not a stripped 1900lb chassis. The steering was so light that a breeze can literally steer the car and it made highway sprints scary as hell. It hauled a$$, but at the same time went all over the place. Scariest time of my life.
        "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
        --Anonymous

Comment

If you have PS, them it goes out, (pump, belt, whatever), it will be harder to turn than a manual. I have had older cars where PS was an option. My PS went out, man it was tough to turn, but my buddy had the same car with manual and it was easier to turn than mine with the non-working PS.

I have an aftermarket wheel on my manual steer Festy, from DNA Motoring, it is smaller than the Festy wheel, and I have 195/60/14 tire/rim combo, and I can turn it one handed with no problem.
          Jeez...man up.
          Last edited by drddan; 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

So if I'm at the junkyard and can only afford a capri intermediate shaft or a power rack with correct pump&pulley, what do i put down?
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

^put the Capri shaft in your toolbox and take the PS to the counter. TAKE 'EM BOTH
              -Bryant

Comment

That is how the festy is on the highway @70. Light bump and its allover the road. In town its ok.

I'm used to driving heavy cars with out power steering too, so this is a little odd for me. heaving being third generation Supras or anything Land Rover.
                Previous:
                1991 GL. (01' ranger lights!) P/S,A/C Sold to Mum.
                1990 auto. hacked up rally toy.
                1988 5 speed. The pile
                1993 5 speed.
                1995 5 speed aspire. Gutted for the 90' auto.

Comment

I haven't drove the Aspire that much but the PS is nice to have. The Festiva really isn't that bad though. The key is to be moving before you start turning the wheel. If I had the option I'd put it on the Festiva mostly just for the wife. Although she won't be driving it much when the Aspire is in proper working order.
                  91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Once you have it you wont go back. Ive got factory P/S and AC!
                    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                    RIP 90LX

Comment

I have my left arm in a sling. I drive a non power steering festy with one arm. As long as they have 12" tires it's still pie.
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Working...
                      X