Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Didn't know inspection was gonna be this tough...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul, my festiva is MODIFIED. The original 1.3 carb was swapped out for a 1.6 EFI from a mazda 323 and the shocks, tranny, and brakes are from an aspire.

I'm currently waiting on my Alternator right now (last time I checked it was at the UPS distribution center in Massachusetts so it should be here tomorrow). Then, I'm going to look around for a reconditioned battery that will get me to my friend's house 45 mins south, then drive it to the inspection station I was recommended to.
    "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
    --Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by chaosdrifter06 View Post
      The car under good charge starts reliably, but once I parked it in my garage, it wouldn't start anymore.
      When your battery fails to hold a charge, it is most likely the fault of the battery. Buy a new one, or have it tested to prove that it is in good condition.

The other possibility is that there is a short in your electrical system that places a constant load on the battery even when the engine is not running. To check for this, disconnect both cables attached to the battery terminals. (Disconnect the negative cable first.) Then, with a volt/ohm meter, read the resistance between the ends of the two cables. If you get a readable resistance you have a short in your system.

To fix this you will have to trace through your electrical system to find the short or, as an emergency fix, buy a battery switch, such as is used in recreational vehicles, and switch it off when the engine is not running. (Harbor Freight has these.)

If I were you I would get a copy of the law describing the required inspection process and go through the list of items doing all that is necessary to pass. Then take it to shops until you find one that will do the inspection. You might even be able to find a copy of the inspection law on line.

John Gunn
      Coronado, CA
      John Gunn
      Coronado, CA

Improving anything
      Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

My friend phill's festy has been spidered for 4 yrs and has never been pulled over for it and its all whit from delamanation, the entire passanger side is a white web of glass lol I have a small crack running accroed the bottom of my windsheild and I've been "warned" 3 times to replace it haha

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
        1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
        R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
        00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
        03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
        pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
        Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
        Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

as for the windshield your ins should cover it under comprehensive no biggie ...and for the wire loom get in touch with a company called painless wiring hey will build a harness for anything and pretty cheap on the pockets to ......sounds lik RI is a pain in the butt to own a car in ( its gotta be lil state syndrome they wanna feel big ..lol )

here in NC if its older than 1996 you dont have an emissions test an if its 35 years old or older you dont even have to get an inspection at all ...
          Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

and i can't stess enough that no inspections are a BAD idea even though i HATE doing them.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yeah I managed to find a shop through a friend who is not as picky at all. The guy is going to take a look at the car sometime this week. The alternator arrived in the mail today so I need to get is a reconditioned battery. Knowing the price of the parts for this car it shouldn't be too bad. I'm glad things are falling in place now and soon this car will be on the road. Next project: Tune up

And yeah, mattman....I completely understand. Once your state is officially a unit of measurement, then you would have the urge to feel big too. For example, the entire state is desperately trying to go green. Up to the point where my neighbor's trash wasn't picked up because he didn't filter his trash (anything paper, plastic, glass has to be in a recycle receptacle). I understand this is normal but they've gone to the point where they inspect your trash before they take it. They see one thing in one of your garbage bags that could have been recycled, they don't take it. I mean really....c'mon.
              "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
              --Anonymous

Comment

Working...
              X