No announcement yet.

Replacing the O2 Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my best bet is the denso mine looks like it is going to be getting about 40 mpg after I changed my coolant temp sensor but I am looking for more any other ideas on what will help it. I want 45+
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Comment

.... Most likely you haven't cleaned out your EGR valve either. You want to do this especially after 22 years. It will also help your car run better. Check out this thread.:?

.... Also, I hope, in 22 years you have changed your TIMING BELT which is supposed to be changed every 60,000 miles per the manual.:read2:

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
      boydg1 -

Bought a DENSO 234-1900 tonight from Autozone on my way home from work. ~$40.00. I'm easing my way into wrenching on my Festy so I thought the extra $20 for the pre-crimped verson would be smarter. In 22 yrs of ownership I don't think my 88L has ever had the O2 sensor changed. I know for certain I never did it. Doubtful I ever had a mechanic do it, either. Gas mileage is 33-36 MPG. After 1 year in Korea it had horrible problems stalling in idle and then after I fixed that it would sometimes die loading it up above idle. Maybe a bad O2 sensor was part of that?

Thanks for the detailed walk-thru about how to do this. For a newbie like me, that is invaluable.

Cheers -

Twister
      A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

I fell stupid because I was looking for my EGR valve to clean it out and I didn't see anything on my '93 that looked like an EGR valve. I looked all over too its a fuel injected model but I bought a haynes manual and my engine compartment is way different than what it shows. Like it was in between a Festiva and an Aspire or something. Does anyone have a pic of right where it should be cause I am lost. I want to clean it to see if I can get some better mileage out of it.

Comment

You don't have an EGR valve on your '93.

EGR's are on carbies '88-'89 and Aspires '94 - '97.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Alright I don't feel so retarded now. So I have already cut my airbox to get more airflow and I am going to change my 02 sensor is there anything else that you guys can thing of that I can do easy that'll get me up to that 45 mpg or so?

Comment

.... It might NOT be a bad idea to "POST" some pics so we can track your words with your actions. This will help both of us get the same picture and to show your work in progress. Then perhaps we can be a little more specific.

Originally posted by crusher773 View Post
              Alright I don't feel so retarded now. So I have already cut my airbox to get more airflow and I am going to change my 02 sensor is there anything else that you guys can thing of that I can do easy that'll get me up to that 45 mpg or so?
              A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                boydg1 -

First, let me say: HOLY CRAP! You've driven 488,000 miles on your Festy?! Gotta tell my wife that. She thinks my Festy at 176,000 is ready for the junk heap. I'm gonna tell her there's TONS more life left in my car.
                I've seen 10 festivas with 500,000 miles. 300,000 is the average lifespan of a festiva. Tell your wife to sit back and watch for a LONG LONG time.
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I have a DD with 282K and still going strong.
                  An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                    It is strange how prices fluctuate, at the local Auto Zone i bought this Denso with part #234-1010 the end was already attached and it cost $21 and change.
                    that is weird because I just checked on the same one at auto zone and it was 98.99

Comment

It does show the 234-1000 as 21.99 I'm thinking you got the good at the cheap price.

Comment

Wives are not always the smartest people around...
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Cutting your airbox is not going to increase your MPG.
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                            Cutting your airbox is not going to increase your MPG.
                            you'd be suprised once I did it instantly noticed a drop in how hard the car was running RPM wise. Just getting a little more air flowing.

Comment

you'd be suprised once I did it instantly noticed a drop in how hard the car was running RPM wise. Just getting a little more air flowing.
                              And that has what to do with mpg...? Besides lowering it.
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost
                              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I have no doubt that the engines volumetric efficiency was improved, but that isn't going to increase your MPG. In fact, it provides another chance for you to decrease your MPG because it does respond to the right foot noticeable easier.
                                '92 Aqua parts Car
                                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                                X