Smart total electric for lease in Tulsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tulsacarman View Post
    Yeah, but to be fair, aren't those things soooo blasted cute?
    First, I have no idea what's up with that double post

Second, cute it may be, but I don't like driving them. I don't see the big thrill. The one I drove did impress me in that it managed to get to 90 MPH. It took a few miles to get there, but it did. The guy following me (we were delivering it to a dealer) couldn't believe it.

I got to race my Festiva against it before it left our lot. It didn't stand a chance.
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post

I got to race my Festiva against it before it left our lot. It didn't stand a chance.
      8)
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I was just kidding on the "cute" remark. Interesting is a more honest take on them. I see the gas car as more sensible than the electric and the diesel car as making the most sense. The gas version SHOULD get 50mpg though as small as it is. Otherwise a Fiesta is the smarter move with 40mpg on the automatic and room for at least 4 people.

The crash test on the little cars is really impressive though. There was a thread on the Youtube video some time back. If you haven't seen it you should search it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz-s1sIoLhU.

It absolutely creams the front end, goes back to the firewall and stops. The integrity of the passenger compartment wasn't compromised. I'll bet it rang that crash test dummy's bell pretty hard though. The car went from full "crash test" speed to a dead stop and only used about 14'-16" of car to do it.
        1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
        1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
        1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
        FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

I think the whole "Smart" range of cars is for well heeled folks to "make a 'green' statement" not unlike buying a Prius or other "green" car. Exactly how "green" it is really doesn't matter either. It's the image more than the reality.

I suppose it helps advance the state of the art of electrics. Someone has to pay the exhorbitant prices on the first vehicles until the costs can come down.

I see Festivas and other older, smaller cars as being quite "green" since they have already been manufactured, can be kept out of the junkyards and used for transportation, and still get good mpgs, take up less space, do less road damage, etc.

At some point, this will diminish due to higher prices for parts, small tires, etc. I don't think we're there yet and probably won't get there for another five or ten years. But at some point, the newer technology may begin to become truthfully more "green" and adjust to the real world of limited resources, especially, limited money.

I hope I'm wrong and we can continue to get good parts for another ten years or more.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

For around town and in the city, a SmartCar wouldn't be a bad way to go. Not too sensible, but better than wheeling 3 tons of SUV around.

Want to see something even more ridiculous? Google Nissan Leaf.
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Karl, you're right about people that can afford to make a statement. I hope my Festy hangs in there for another 15 years or so. They should have the electric thing down (or whatever other technology).

I suppose we're saying the same things that they said turn of the century (the last one), when a horseless carriage drove by. Those early nuts paved the way for the automotive industry.
              1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
              1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
              1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
              FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

Working...
              X