No announcement yet.

Inside Your Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember the fuel filler hole on the back of the old Corvettes?
    You could put your arm down the hole.
    I like looking inside the tank so that you can see if there are any problems.
    The trouble all started when the manufacturers had to install restrictor plates, in order not to allow larger leaded gas nozzles to be inserted in the fuel fill necks.

Comment

I pulled the tank on my Aspire this weekend & it was by far worse....AND the strainer sock was swimming around in the bottom of the tank.

The fuel strainer on some of the fuel pumps is actually removeable & can be replaced. It only cost $9 at advance & it can save you from buying a new fuel pump later on down the road!

Comment

I'm in the process of removing and cleaning my gas tank and when i pulled the fuel pump out it was covered in corrosion (i think that's what it is) and trying to figure out how to get all the stuff off before putting the new-ish pump on with out messing anything up too much. Also, the tank is not empty so it should be some kinda fun removing and cleaning. I love my festiva!
        '93 Ford Festiva "RedRum"
        L Series, 5 Speed, Fun-Top
        Renaissance W. R.

Comment

Originally posted by FordFestiva View Post
          My father told me to stay away from old gas stations. The reason being, their fuel storage tanks in the ground can be dirty and/or contaminated over the years. I also pour a little isopropyl alcohol in the tank once a year (usually just before winter). This mixes any possible water with the gas. Then it gets burned off during engine run and not float on the top of gas in the tank.
          You got part of that wrong!
          Water does NOT float on top of the gas.
          Gas has a lower density than water and floats on top of the water.

So water in the gas will show itself weather you have a full or almost empty tank, because the pickup is in the bottom of the tank, exactly where water would be if you had water contaminated gas.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by WulfgarTheGreat View Post
            I'm in the process of removing and cleaning my gas tank and when i pulled the fuel pump out it was covered in corrosion (i think that's what it is) and trying to figure out how to get all the stuff off before putting the new-ish pump on with out messing anything up too much. Also, the tank is not empty so it should be some kinda fun removing and cleaning. I love my festiva!
            How difficult is it to use the 14mm drain plug on the bottom of the tank?
            Festivas were made to be worked on with ease.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^ beat me to it. Can use the lug wrench to remove the drain plug or the seats when necessary.
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

the more empty space the more room u have for moisture to form and they rust better to have a tank full of bad gas after storing than a tank full of rust

Comment

Originally posted by Maxtiva View Post
                  If the paint flake off you're going to clog the line and filter
                  I also have had problems with that stuff.
                  The radiator shop steams then out good
                  then " flows solder " over the area where
                  it rusted clear through.

Don't do this yourself, if you don't know what you
                  are doing you can have a really big explosion!

Throw a box of BB's in the tank with a little
                  cutting oil and let it bounce around in the back
                  of the pick up for awhile !!

Maxtiva is right, that stuff can be a real headache !!
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

fuel tank

i bought a 92 festy last year,ist thing i replaced,was fuel tank. rust forms up under top of tank,u cant see. whenever tank,gets half full,i fill it. this keeps most rust,from forming. id replace your tank,and keep it full. a dirty,rusty tank,is an owners fault.

Comment

Here's the inside my original 1968 Charger gas tank.
                      I took this picture after pulling it out to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                        How difficult is it to use the 14mm drain plug on the bottom of the tank?
                        Festivas were made to be worked on with ease.
                        i know about the drain plug now thanks didnt know it was there. It'll make the job easier, but, once i take it off am i going to need to get some undercoating to spray over it when i put it back in?

ok next, the filler hose is not coming off. its very stubborn and stiff, and the space to wiggle it isnt much, any ideas or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
                        '93 Ford Festiva "RedRum"
                        L Series, 5 Speed, Fun-Top
                        Renaissance W. R.

Comment

Cheap gas with ethanol will do that every time.
                          I always put in ethanol free. I remember another article about this before. Search time.

Comment

One of my old Porsche tanks was so rusty it would clog the filter in one day. I dumped a couple pounds of broken speaker magnets in there to collect the iron particles. No more problems!

Comment

Working...
                            X