Subaru Justy vs. Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru Justy vs. Festiva

Hi I saw a Subaru Justy AWD for sale a couple of blocks from my place.
    Wern't they about the same time frame? Similar in size. FI or carbed? Don't really know much about the Justy. AWD would be cool, but around here you see even fewer of them then Festivas. Maybe another underappreciated small car that didn't make it?

I kinda want a justy for winter...
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

How about a Daihatsu Rocky?
      Last edited by bravekozak; 02-27-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

We looked at buying one back when they were new, maybe 20 years ago. My wife said the only way she'd drive one was if it was an automatic. They had the EVTC(?) tranny that didn't shift gears. It sounded like a cool deal but I had more than one mechanic tell me it wouldn't be a good idea. We went with the VW Fox. I don't know if the Justy was a good idea or not but the VW was biiiig mistake, a mistake I won't make again.
        1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
        1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
        1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
        FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

Nothing screams "Youtube: Jumping My Car" like a old Subaru.

Last edited by Aspire; 02-27-2011, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Doesn't FestYboy have a Justy?
            Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
            Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
            White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
            White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
            Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
            Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
            Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
            White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

yes, yes i do. i have several actually, all 4wd. they were the last cars in the US to be carbed (1993 Justy DL). what you would want is a leak free GL EFI so look for 91 and up. check the body for rot at the driver frame tube near the foot well and behind the doors at the body seams. if the engine brakes, there's not much for replacement parts and full engines should come from Japan, you don't want the ones from here.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I had a 91 GL 5-speed 4WD. LOVED it! Great mileage (over 40 MPG) and would go anywhere. If it's in decent condition and a manual, def get it. (IDK if the automatics were ever 4WD, but you definitely don't want one of those.)
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

yeah you could get a 4WD ECVT, infact there's one near me ATM. and you CAN get the auto if it's still funtional and achieve the same MPGs as the manual. the ECVT usually fails at the brushes and they're easy to replace. actually the ECVT is stronger than the manual trans.

your best combo is a 87-88 2wd man trans in a 89-94 body and an EFI engine for milage. if you require 4WD, you want the 87-88 trans as it has a higher 5th gear and is easier on the engine at highway speeds (lower revs).
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    yeah you could get a 4WD ECVT, infact there's one near me ATM. and you CAN get the auto if it's still funtional and achieve the same MPGs as the manual. the ECVT usually fails at the brushes and they're easy to replace. actually the ECVT is stronger than the manual trans.

your best combo is a 87-88 2wd man trans in a 89-94 body and an EFI engine for milage. if you require 4WD, you want the 87-88 trans as it has a higher 5th gear and is easier on the engine at highway speeds (lower revs).
                    That's interesting about the ECVT fix. I always heard that the conventional wisdom is just avoid them, no one knows how to work on them. But you do eh?

A Justy forum: http://subarujusty.proboards.com/index.cgi

Edit: mine was a 4-door GL in a nice charcoal color. I could bury the tires in soft sand and just drive out like it was on asphalt; or go up a 45-degree hill. It did have snow tires on it to do these things tho. I only sold it because I was moving from OR to VA and had too many cars. It was great.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 02-27-2011, 10:09 PM.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Last car with a carb AND first car with CVT. Never heard ANY high mileage stories out of them.
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Yeah read this page from owners talking about 200,000 MAY be possible... pathetic!
                        Sorry festyboy. No offense but man I've never heard anything good out of the justy.
                        I purchased my former Justy, an 88' Fwd with 166,000, and sold it with 189,000 15 months later. I was amazed at the dependability. I only replaced: passenger side hub and bearings and new ca
                        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Carsurvey.org is your friend. I looked through about 30 reviews. I found one with 175,000 miles. Most were not complimentary.

Read Subaru Justy reviews from real owners. Find out what they're like to drive, and what problems they have.

Comment

Nobody here mentioned THEONE from earlier...
                            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Is the AWD drivetrain reliable enough to be considered for my powertrain swap? Or am I better off looking for a 323 GTX AWD drivetrain?
                              "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
                              --Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X