37.5 mpg after coolant sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37.5 mpg after coolant sensor

So I changed my coolant temp sensore and that bumped my mpg up from 28 to 37.5. What else should I do to help get this thing up over 40. I am going to get a new O2 sensor next payday. I have a front corner light that is gone that I am going to get to help with aerodynamics. What other things can I do to help it. I've made sure I don't have any brakes dragging and I'm running air pressure at 40psi. Keeping it under 65 too I run 90% highway.
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Lol a busted light isn't gonna cause a noticeable loss...
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I'd check your timing and bump it a little till you hear detonation, then back off a little.
      I also run 89 octane, I get about 3 MPG better in the summer, less in the winter.

Also, how did you get the 37.5 MPG?
      Was that a full tank?

I just finished running 521 miles on 10.110 gallons.
      Last edited by Pu241; 03-23-2011, 07:39 AM.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Yeah that was a full tank plugged my mileage in my fuelly and thats what it got.

Comment

Make sure the car has a good tune too: new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yeah its all on my list of things to do. Its a process. I did pull the plugs and they looked pretty good but I'm going to put some platinums in it.

Comment

Is there a prefered brand of cap and rotor?

Comment

Originally posted by crusher773 View Post
                Is there a prefered brand of cap and rotor?
                Some prefer the brass electrodes, as they say they get less corrosion.
                I use the aluminum one and just clean the electrodes with a brass brush every oil change.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by crusher773 View Post
                  Yeah its all on my list of things to do. Its a process. I did pull the plugs and they looked pretty good but I'm going to put some platinums in it.
                  no platinums!!!!! our coil isn't built for those, use a quality copper core. they're cheaper and won't burn out the coil.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

well if platinums are no good then I'll just stick with the ones I have because they looked good.

Comment

look for carbon tracking and residue from additives in the fuel noth being burnt... you may want to change them out anyway.... better yet, take a high res pic of one or two of them and post it, we're just worried about the ceramic near the electrode and into the threaded surround.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Not knowing anything about the car or its maintenance, here are a few things that help a slightly neglected (or high mileage) car:

first, fuel filter. Often overlooked but one that is getting partially plugged will cause issues.
                        Second, run some seafoam through both the gas tank and engine vacuum.
                        third, make sure the oil is clean. if its not, change it (obviously? lol) then keep an eye on it and change it once it gets to be dark brown, or after 3000 miles... whichever comes first. if there is a bunch of gunk built up in the engine you may have to change it every 500-1000 miles a few times to help clean it out. Make sure the trany fluid is clean too... bad fluids = more friction = bad.

there are tons of little things you can do, but I'd start with the basics first, then move on... lowering the front of the car is a proven way to gain a few mpg etc.
                        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

if lowering with stockish sized tires (175/60/13 or the like) you can take 2 coils in the front and no more than 1.5 in the rear. i just lowered another festy with stock suspention and you can't take more than 1.5 in the rear or you'll loose spring tention at full drop.

another coil that can help with efficiency is the ignition coil (i had a tired one in Scrappy and went from a top speed of 65 to pinning the neddle.)

something else that can help is an air dam in the front (i made mine from garden edging) and the next step is a belly pan from the dam to about the cat. might want to use some sheet aluminum for that.

Comment

I've changed the oil right away on it so its all fresh and have also put a fuel filter on it and tranny fluid. So we are all good there. So you are talking about just cutting the springs on the front to drop the nose and they still ride ok?

Comment

Lose the rear seat, carpet, and plastics...I think this helps.
                              ----------------------------------------------
                              93 Festiva L (B8 swap in progress)

Comment

Working...
                              X