37.5 mpg after coolant sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stdsmt22 View Post
    Lose the rear seat, carpet, and plastics...I think this helps.
    In his first post he says he run 90% highway, so removal of the above will have zero effect on MPG. I've run long trips with way more weight than usual and got better MPG, partly I believe, because the extra weigh lowered the car and slightly improved aerodynamics.
    Although I like to removing the rear seat because it makes it easier to load and unload a lot of stuff.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I don't want to do that anyways. In the rare chance I can talk my wife into going anywhere with me we gotta have room for our little guy too.
      1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Comment

my best tank was 53 mpg... I had so much junk (mostly boxes of books etc) in the car that the rear struts were bottomed out. The two big factors were: I was following my dad in a moving truck (slight draft) and we only went about 55mph the whole way, b/c the brakes on the moving truck were acting up.

removing weight only helps around town where you are accelerating/decelerating a lot.
        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

So in response to my question earlier. I can just cut my springs down and the car will still ride ok or do I need to do some kind of swap with the aspire stuff I have heard about.

Comment

no, you can just cut the springs, but only as much as listed above... you will need an alignment afterward as you will be changing the toe measurement by lowering the car. the ride will still be quite acceptable provided everything else is still in usable condition.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

So what about the exhaust will knocking out the cat or at least part of it help too. I guess it just lets the exhaust flow through easier.

Comment

don't touch the cat, it's not hurting you unless you have no power and can't go more than 30mph (sure sign of clogged cat).
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Not sure if it was the warmer temps of what but it got 40.6 last fillup.

Comment

Originally posted by crusher773 View Post
                    Not sure if it was the warmer temps of what but it got 40.6 last fillup.
                    Yes, warmer weather will increase your MPG, just as colder weather will lower it!
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Last one yesterday was 39.8 but it had gotten a little cooler.

Comment

Working...
                      X