No announcement yet.

Autozone Parts counter help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing that frustrates me about parts stores is that many times if the part doesn't show up on the computer screen it never existed. Not many will pick up the large catalog that's sitting under the counter.

I went to a local tire store to ask about 175/60/13's for the Festiva. The counter guy looked at his computer screen and told me they never made that size. What I should have done is taken the guy outside to show him the tires on the car which were... you guessed it... 175/60/13. Needless to say, I've never gone back there for anything.

On the other hand there's an Auto Value close by my home that does a great job. They're willing to help, willing to listen and don't make fun of the Festiva.

There's my 2 cents worth.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I need a temperature sensor for a vw bug,a can of compression and a chrome muffler bearing please.
      96 Ford F-150 XLT
      93 Festiva L (Modified)
      92 Festiva L
      68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

Originally posted by phantorn View Post
        ...and a chrome muffler bearing please.
        Is that a left or right handed one?
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I usually don't have problems with counter people at Autozone....I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones who have staff that actually know what they are doing....

I also have the one with the really hot Latina chick working behind the counter.
          "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
          --Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by chaosdrifter06 View Post
            I also have the one with the really hot Latina chick working behind the counter.
            ha mine has a really hot 20 yr old blonde that really knows her cars. Prolly better than most guys.

My best friend is the manager at that store. I don't usually go to the store I mentioned above.
            -Bryant

Comment

Since I don't know alot about cars (just what I get off the forum and my Haynes),
              I get along great with most of the folks at O'Reilly's.

Comment

Customers aren't always that great either.

I remember a customer telling me he needed spark plugs for his 5-cyl HEMI Cressida. I banged on the keyboard acting like I was looking it up & then told him that it would take 3 weeks for us to order, he might as well go across the street & they would have them in stock.

Another customer came in asking for oil & filter for a 98 Accord. I got it all for him & he left. About an hour later, he comes in, drenched in oil & throws it all back on the counter, cusses me out & says "THIS DOESN'T FIT! IT'S THE WRONG FILTER!"....I look at the computer & scratch my head as the info was all correct, then ask him to verify the car's info. He then says, "Oh, maybe it's an '88. Sorry" .......yeah, no big deal after he just cussed me out for nothing!

Comment

I bring my O'Reiley guy a bottle of wine wrapped in a c note around christmas and he falls all over himself helping me out. I get shop prices for my rotella and car oil and filter plus other good things. Works out to be really cheap for me.

Comment

I read this off another forum but some old guys sent the apprentice to NAPA to pick up a Long Weight, they had phoned the NAPA guys ahead of time and told them about it. The apprentice got there, asked for a Long Weight and they told him to have a seat while they get the part. He waited for about 20 minutes before he figured it out.
                    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                    14 C7 Z51

Comment

I help myself at my local Mcparts store. Only thing I can't do is the cash register.

Other customers look at me funny when I walk in look up parts and go get them myself.
                      -Greg
                      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                      Redneck Engineer
                      FOTY - '09
                      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                        I help myself at my local Mcparts store. Only thing I can't do is the cash register.

Other customers look at me funny when I walk in look up parts and go get them myself.
                        my AZ is that way, most of the time I have ordered online and shipped to the store. I just walk in go back to the delivery shelf, grab my parts and have them ring them up for me. I love the looks when you walk in and just head to the back of the store like I work there.
                        91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                        82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                        85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by Aspire View Post
                          Customers aren't always that great either.

I remember a customer telling me he needed spark plugs for his 5-cyl HEMI Cressida. I banged on the keyboard acting like I was looking it up & then told him that it would take 3 weeks for us to order, he might as well go across the street & they would have them in stock.

Another customer came in asking for oil & filter for a 98 Accord. I got it all for him & he left. About an hour later, he comes in, drenched in oil & throws it all back on the counter, cusses me out & says "THIS DOESN'T FIT! IT'S THE WRONG FILTER!"....I look at the computer & scratch my head as the info was all correct, then ask him to verify the car's info. He then says, "Oh, maybe it's an '88. Sorry" .......yeah, no big deal after he just cussed me out for nothing!

Well I can understand you pain too, I am not saying that all are bad. I actually know a person who runs a garage and half the time has to physically look at the car to tell you what he's working on. Not to mention Build dates and vins make your job a whole lot easier if you need to dig deeper than the computer. So yes there are customers that most of the time have no business working on a vehicle, but those are the ones that keep me working.
                          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

The guy at my auto parts plus (autozone sub-company) is great and can find any part for me when I fix my mom's car. Can't wait to get a festy and bring it there.
                            1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                            Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                            daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                            A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Working...
                            X