Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauled a 1/4 cord of wood

Comment

• Drove it. Couldn't stop grinning the whole time. First drive was with an open DP. I can tell right now it's gonna have to have a straight exhaust when it's turbo. There's just no other way.

LOVE that sound.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

• Passed emissions with fling colors. Twin carbs, no computer.
        My old Bosal exhaust system pipes are 2". I am going to have to change my smaller diameter stock cat setup, just in case I need to re-certify in 2 years time.

Failed safety inspection.
        Tires had dry rot. Got a cheap set of Honda tires on rims, the same day, online.
        They bolted right onto my Aspire spindles.
        Driver's manual belt failed to retract fast enough.

Attributed the problem to either a tired coil spring, and upon closer examination, 23 years of dirt.

To get rid of the filth, I removed both manual belts completely (three minutes each), removed the lower bolt, pulled out the belt as far as she would go, slid the upper loop and buckle all the way to the cage, squeezed on a couple of Irwin clamps to prevent the belts from retracting and washed the belts by hand in multiple dishes full of laundry soap. The water was brown/black each time. Utterly disgusting, No more sticky. No more dirt. Hung the belts on the clothesline to dry. We shall see tomorrow if the operation was a success.

I am willing to bet everyone's seat belt could use a little cleaning after a couple of decades.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 05-28-2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Made room for another festiva.

And still enough room for my family hauler.

Still have one more car to fit in but have to put this in new car to make more room
          Last edited by 91green; 05-29-2015, 09:51 AM.
          93 Festiva L Aqua(Fern) 5speed 218,000kms-DD and holding on (rusting )
          93 Festiva L Caymen green Metallic 156,000km. 5speedOngoing project
          90 Festiva L Bright Blue Metallic 36,000km,5speed, my rust free BPproject.

Comment

• Now, that's what I call "making room".
            ----------------------------------------------------
            I gave the order to weld an extension onto my headers. I have decided to maintain 2" in diameter all the way through. It will be ready for pickup next week.
            Yes, I will post an mp3 of the sound, as recorded with my Walkman. I am pleased to report that the seat belt washing was a complete success. They retract perfectly now.

Today is file and fit the fuel door popper day.

Next week will be "buy some Cayman paint for the shaved fuel door".
            Last edited by bravekozak; 05-30-2015, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• What's wrong with this picture?

Answer correctly and you'll know what I did to my Festiva today. [emoji2]
              Last edited by fastivaca; 06-01-2015, 10:11 PM.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• Connector broke at the clutch cable end. You replaced the clutch cable.

Did mine about a month ago. The hardest repair job I've done on a Festiva

Was your clutch petal hard to depress. And for how long?

Mine had been giving me troubles for a couple of years.

Comment

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb cccc ddddddddddddddd eeeeeeeee
                  Last edited by boydg1; 06-01-2015, 10:44 PM.
                  A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
                    Connector broke at the clutch cable end. You replaced the clutch cable.

Did mine about a month ago. The hardest repair job I've done on a Festiva

Was your clutch petal hard to depress. And for how long?

Mine had been giving me troubles for a couple of years.
                    Right answer but sorry, there's no prize. The cable had been making unpleasant noises and the pedal had been hard for quite some time. That the second aftermarket cable that's done that to me. Had a spare OEM one that I put in. Only took me about half an hour. Back on the road now and off to get gas before the prices go up!
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• I had a 98 Sentra for a long time. The original clutch cable lasted about 120,000 miles then just broke one day. The replacements would last about 8000 miles then the pedal would be wonky and they would break pretty quick. I must have put 4 or 5 of them in that car. Then I had a volkswagon fox that did the exact same thing. I only put 2 replacements in the Fox before got rid of it because I was tired of having to push start it when the engine was hot. Those lasted about 3000 miles each. The Nissan you could at least start and drive it without the clutch if you by passed the clutch safety. Not the Fox, no clutch no go period. I never figured out what was going on with either of them other than the replacement cables sucked.

Comment

• Drove it through NYC. Sorry no pics so I know it technically didn't happen. But hypothetically I can say that a swapped Festy is the PERFECT city car when charging through the city that never sleeps. I could intimidate bigger vehicles just by outrunning them and whipping across lanes. I guess self-preservation kicks in and they brake before I do.

It ran so well I went right on into Vermont to see some friends I hadn't in a year or so.

God I love these cars.

And just as I pulled into their drive, the steering completely went. That was interesting.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

• Started doing my Rio front swap.

Found that the setup that monkeykiller pulled for me was missing the backplate on the driver's side knuckle.

Also the driver's side caliper piston had seized so bad that it broke my bench mounted vise when I tried to compress it. Had to drive out and get a remanned one from autozone, and the ONLY one in the area for driver's side calipers.

All around this swap is costing me about what it cost me to buy this festy in the first place.
                          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

• That's why I bought my Festiva, with the Aspire swap already done, for $248!

Comment

• Fixed my bouncing tach., lights & fuel gauge.
                              Removed the Cluster & sandpapered / cleaned all the pins .
                              Now everything works !
                              If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

• finished the Rio swap on the driver's side. Will do the passenger side later, I am sweating balls outside as it is with no shade.

For the hell of it I took it around the block and nearly lost my wheel because I forgot to tighten the lugs down. Luckily I was able to locate the ones that fell off only about 50 feet behind where I stopped.

I bled the brake caliper, but the pedal goes almost to the floor before it starts to stop the car, is this normal without a bigger master cylinder?

Also I wish someone would have mentioned the Rio knuckles would throw off the steering geometry and I would need to get an alignment. :/
                                Last edited by TorqueEffect; 06-04-2015, 11:13 AM.
                                1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                                2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                                1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
                                X