Thinking about getting a road bike...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting a road bike...

So I'm 18, and trying to figure out whats best for me. I love riding my dirtbike but I never have the time for it and my buddies have a weird work schedule unlike my Monday to Friday. I've been wanting a truck but only to drive my bike around.

So here I am stuck at a crossroads, either get a truck or sell my dirtbike and get a road bike. What do all you guys think?

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

motorized bike, http://motorbicycling.com/ bike plus $170, full suspension trail bikes have been done, try a shift kit although pricey I hear good things.
    Owner of:
    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
    In progress:
    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

I'm thinking more of a kawasaki zx6r or smaller...

Comment

if you can afford the insurance stick with atleast a 600 cc bike. you will get board with anything smaller trust me on this i have owned around 20 sportbikes and everyone i know that started out small got board after a few months then couldn't get rid of the smaller bike...thats my opinion....

Comment

Originally posted by Ford 0.5 View Post
          if you can afford the insurance stick with atleast a 600 cc bike. you will get board with anything smaller trust me on this i have owned around 20 sportbikes and everyone i know that started out small got board after a few months then couldn't get rid of the smaller bike...thats my opinion....
          Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will get a zx6r If I do get a bike

Comment

How about a dual sport? You can ride on the dirt and the street. I got in a bad accident when I was 20 and spent a week in the hospital and gave up on motorcycles after that. 22 years later and I'm considering a used XR600 or XR650 in the near future.
            Rick
            1993 Ford Festiva
            1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
            1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
            2000 Ford E350

Comment

I was in a very similar predicament this past summer. I grew up racing dirtbikes but since college I never had time to ride it and like you didn't have a truck nor money for a truck. I ended up selling my bike and am moving over to the road. But I'm leaning towards a cruiser for the practicality/fun. I'd rather dirtbike than sportbike but that's just me.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
              The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
                I was in a very similar predicament this past summer. I grew up racing dirtbikes but since college I never had time to ride it and like you didn't have a truck nor money for a truck. I ended up selling my bike and am moving over to the road. But I'm leaning towards a cruiser for the practicality/fun. I'd rather dirtbike than sportbike but that's just me.
                Yeah I'm one of those guys that goes huge at the dunes to show off lol. I think I might get myself in trouble on a road bike trying to get teh same thrill...

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                How about a dual sport? You can ride on the dirt and the street. I got in a bad accident when I was 20 and spent a week in the hospital and gave up on motorcycles after that. 22 years later and I'm considering a used XR600 or XR650 in the near future.
                I dont think I could do that, The dual sports have such a different gear ratio and the riding I do is mostly at a track and dunes, where dual sports are more trails, and I hate trails.

Comment

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
                  Yeah I'm one of those guys that goes huge at the dunes to show off lol. I think I might get myself in trouble on a road bike trying to get teh same thrill...
                  That was my experience. I realized if I wanted live, I better stay off MC's because I didn't have any self control. Nothing like riding a wheelie through several gears and then you put the front tire down and realize you were going over 100mph on one wheel.
                  Rick
                  1993 Ford Festiva
                  1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                  1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                  2000 Ford E350

Comment

Yeah I know I will end up trying to wheelie, but I don't want to. Lol

Comment

You can buy dual sports that aren't factory fresh you know. There are a lot of legal conversion for sale on CL with plates and i don't know how they got them hehe. I'm casually looking for one myself. I'm more interested in a regular one with not a lot of mods unless the deal is just killer.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Get a SUPERMOTO! lol. With different sprockets and a set of offroad tires
                        and you will have the best of both worlds!
                        I found another project and im about to sell mine.(sad)
                        93L sold. First FESTY!
                        91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
                        91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
                        89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
                        93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
                        89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
                        93GL Sold Too Soon!
                        91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

Silly motards. They like to cut thru traffic islands in rush hour out here.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

In Ala I only know of 3 other sumos. I get singled out on mine and stopped constantly because either they catch me jumping curbs,sidewalks,wheelies,speed bumps, or they stop me cause They think Im on a dirt bike!?!?!? with street tires, lol.
                            93L sold. First FESTY!
                            91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
                            91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
                            89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
                            93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
                            89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
                            93GL Sold Too Soon!
                            91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

^^^ That bike is sick Gestiva! I would love to have one of those, but I either have to keep my dirtbike or get a street bike, nothing in between. It would kill me to be right in the middle of both worlds lol

Comment

Working...
                              X