1990 Festiva L ~ Keep it or sell it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Festiva L ~ Keep it or sell it

I'm looking for advice. Took my Festy to the mechanic. I need a lot of work after letting her sit for so long, ugh. Mainly he told me to search for "shift linkage bushings" as all of mine are gone. He said buy them all. Then while it starts right up, he said after 3 starts, it won't start again so a battery. A clutch down the road (never replaced before, I think is pretty cool as a girl that I know how to drive and not ruin it). Head gasket, water pump and fuel filter all at some point. But to make it road worthy, I need the bushings. Do you think it's worth putting this much into this old 90 Festy? Would appreciate your feedback. I can't post in the WANTED since I don't have enough previous posts. I was hoping you could help me find at least the bushings and not get ripped off. Thanks for ANY help.
    Susan

Totally fix her up! There was a thread around here about shifter bushings. Ill see if I can find it for you!

Here is one thread about shifter bushings!

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Ill see if I can find more.

Yep here is another:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

The 2nd link has part numbers if that will help.

Also after the car starts 3 times then doesn't probably is a bad battery and possibly a bad alt. If the alt is bad then the bat. wont recharge. Change the battery and go from there. If the battery dies again after replacement then the alt is junk. BY alt. i mean alternator.
    Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 05-27-2011, 09:35 AM.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

X2 on fixing it up! Although I will say that you might need to look for a new mechanic if they are telling you that it will need a head gasket "sometime soon". The water pump I can kind of understand as part of preventative maintanence, aka "replace something before it breaks and leaves you stranded". But a head gasket shouldn't need to be replaced unless there is a problem with it, and if there is a problem with it it needs to be replaced immediately, not "sometime soon". So maybe get a second opinion, but if it does need a head gasket, that is more important than the bushings in my opinion. I have actually driven a couple without bushings (they had fallen out like yours), the shifter is sloppy but it doesn't make the car undriveable. But definitely keep the car, especially with gas prices being what they are! That said, if you do decide to sell it make sure you post it up on here, we have a few members in FL that would love to get their hands on more festies. Maybe one could even help you get the car fixed up.
      Last edited by htchbck; 05-27-2011, 10:14 AM.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

WOW, you guys are amazing! I love my little car, she is bright yellow! She has taken good care of me over the years so I'm glad to see I can get some help with parts. Mechanic said he can do the work, but I need to find the parts. I think my niece didn't put oil in it and either it's a cracked head or mechanic thought gasket without getting into it yet. I just asked for all I need to come up with. You guys have made my day. Thank you SO much for taking the time to help me and post some help. I really appreciate YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by SusanVette View Post
          I'm looking for advice. Took my Festy to the mechanic. I need a lot of work after letting her sit for so long, ugh. Mainly he told me to search for "shift linkage bushings" as all of mine are gone. He said buy them all. Then while it starts right up, he said after 3 starts, it won't start again so a battery. A clutch down the road (never replaced before, I think is pretty cool as a girl that I know how to drive and not ruin it). Head gasket, water pump and fuel filter all at some point. But to make it road worthy, I need the bushings. Do you think it's worth putting this much into this old 90 Festy? Would appreciate your feedback. I can't post in the WANTED since I don't have enough previous posts. I was hoping you could help me find at least the bushings and not get ripped off. Thanks for ANY help.
          Susan
          Hello Susan, here is the part # that you will need to get some bushings, you can get them at your local NAPA store, #0771303 shopuld be about a $1.50 each and you will need 6, as for repairing the car, do you have a huband, or someone who can help, changing the bushings is a snap, as for the battery, rarely does someone start a car three times in a row, start the car and drive it, if the battery has any life left, driving will recharge it, but then it could be getting weak, heck drive it, see what happens. put up a couple pic's of your car, we like to see what we are consulting on. Good luck
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Just do it Susan!

Post pics when you can. We love yellow Festivas!

(Okay, we love ALL Festivas.)

Here is my build thread, with some links. I thought I had shifter bushing pics, but I don't think I do. However, you might find all the pics and description helpful since I did a lot of it for newbies.:

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

Karl
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 05-27-2011, 11:31 AM.
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by SusanVette View Post
              Do you think it's worth putting this much into this old 90 Festy? Susan

:headbang: It will pay you back !!

P.S.

The FS/W moderator would probably allow you to post a [WTB] listing .
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I can't stress enough Keep it

I have a fleet of vehicles ranging from 85 to 98 and my 93 Festiva is the most dependable and most driven one of them all. Parts are cheap, readily available, and the cars are simple to work on. Plus, as an added bonus, you're a member of this wonderful forum where there's an abundance of Festiva information and the members are always helpful and supportive.

I noticed that you're located in Florida. There is a fairly large group of FF members in that area so if you don't work on your car yourself, maybe you can talk to one of them about doing some of the work for you or help guide you through the process if you want to have a go at it yourself. If nothing else maybe someone can look at your car and give you a second opinion in regard to what your original mechanic told you and/or maybe suggest a local shop that is more knowledgeable and trustworthy.
                If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

keep that festy! plenty of parts & advice on here also lots of florida members near you
                  Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Do you need an even better reason?

Fix your Festiva up so you can attend

FESTIVA MADNESS FIVE!!

First weekend in October, Raleigh, NC.

Last year we had over fifty cars and 100 folks!

(It will change your perspective.)

Karl

Comment

KEEP IT!!! Get the bushings from NAPA , alot cheaper than Mazda. The only parts you may need to get at Mazda are GJ21-46-041 Solid Linkage Bushing & B092-46-047 Bushing Sleeve/Tube. I just did mine & they make a world of difference. If you have no one to do it for you don't pay more than $50. at the mech. takes less than an hour on a lift.
                      If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Welcome! Plus if you decide to go to Madness, there will be a convoy from FL for the trip up there. Some very good mechanics will be in the convoy too.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks again everyone. Now I need to gather all this great info and get it to the mechanic. I didn't even know about the event. I need to get on here more often.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your kindness. My friends are reminding me it "IS" a 1990 Susan, do you really want a car that old? I said, it starts right up! ;-)

Comment

Susan, Welcome to the site and you are more than welcome to come to Madness. As Tom said, there are a lot of Florida members around you who can offer help and advise.

Remember, for the cost of one car payment on something new, you can fix most of those issues. That's kind of the way I think about mine. If it's going to cost me a couple of hundred to fix something on my car, my brain usually says "hmmm that's not even enough to make a down payment on a new car and then I would have payments for several years" LOL

As long as I have the help and support I've gotten from the folks on this forum, my Festivas are not going anywhere. These guys are great.

P.S. If for some reason you decide to give in and sell it, you better post it here. There's a couple of members who might fight over a yellow one!
                            1992 Green GL - "It's not easy being green" - Kermit - RIP killed by a tree
                            1992 Aqua Funtop - Belle
                            Wife of V8Festiva.

Madness Committee Member
                            website www.festivamadness.com

Comment

Barbara wrote:

"Remember, for the cost of one car payment on something new, you can fix most of those issues. That's kind of the way I think about mine. If it's going to cost me a couple of hundred to fix something on my car, my brain usually says "hmmm that's not even enough to make a down payment on a new car and then I would have payments for several years."

I think much like Barbara does. I DON'T HAVE ANY car payments! Just a few repair bills here and there. Since I do most everything myself, that turns out to be some extra "education," too! So I would also encourage you to begin learning to do as much work as possible on your own. Like oil & filter changes, adding fluids, doing front brakes, etc.

Don't forget yours is YELLOW, too! (Instant drool factor for many folks.)

Karl

Comment

Working...
                              X