Should I call 'em out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I call 'em out?

I've seen WAY too many Festivas down here on Craigslist that have been up for sale for upwards of $2,000 for something that anyone who knows cars would laugh about. I know I would sound like a :booty: but I'm really getting tired of these people thinking that they have something people are willing to go into debt for when the pictures show a car that Kelley Blue Book states is worth 1/10th that.

My idea is to have a CL page like a "for sale" that gives guidelines as to the value of the cars, like what they're actually worth based on mileage increments in all conditions according to KBB. I'm not trying to upset the sellers. I'm trying to point out that while the gas prices are high, it's not a reason to 'gouge' any prospective buyers. I know some people aren't quite trying to sell their cars, but still.

My page would just look like this:

Festivas were built from 1988 to 1993. These cars were all 4-cylinder cars stock, with a 1.3 liter, single-overhead-cam Mazda B3 engine. The Festivas came with different trim levels(etc, etc, etc,).

Here is a run-down of actual values of these cars according Kelley Blue Book.

(Rundown)

If nothing else, I'd feel better. I'm also aware that if anyone ever found out that it was ME that posted that, I would have just about no chance of ever being able to purchase a Festiva on Craigslist in my area!

So what do you think, should I set it straight?
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

These people aren't actually trying to sell these cars. They are just throwing it out there to see if any one is dumb enough to bite. Reason being is people do. People are dumb enough to just see great gas prices and jump. Besides it pays for it self in a short time so even at high dollar it's still worth it to some people.

I believe you have to be more cunning to find good deals on cars. The $120 car isn't on the corner. It's parked behind the barn in the over grown grass and been parked for 12 yrs etc.

My car is worth alot more to me than probably anyone else on the planet so I can live in that dream and try to sell it. Lol
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Sorry to say but around here ANY of the small cars, festy, metro, suzki's etc... are selling for top dollar.
      KBB does not take into consideration supply and demand.
      I bought mine 6 years ago for $350 and have turned down multiple 2k+ offers, call me crazy but I love my festy.

Seen a none running beat to death festy go for $750. Seller was asking $800.
      If it runs and moves under it's own power it will sell for $1k pretty easy.
      Usually any for around $500ish are gone within minutes of the ad going live on craigslist.

An item is worth what ever the buyer is willing to pay, no book in the world can set that line.
      Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
      1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
        I've seen WAY too many Festivas down here on Craigslist that have been up for sale for upwards of $2,000 for something that anyone who knows cars would laugh about. I know I would sound like a :booty: but I'm really getting tired of these people thinking that they have something people are willing to go into debt for when the pictures show a car that Kelley Blue Book states is worth 1/10th that.

My idea is to have a CL page like a "for sale" that gives guidelines as to the value of the cars, like what they're actually worth based on mileage increments in all conditions according to KBB. I'm not trying to upset the sellers. I'm trying to point out that while the gas prices are high, it's not a reason to 'gouge' any prospective buyers. I know some people aren't quite trying to sell their cars, but still.

My page would just look like this:

Festivas were built from 1988 to 1993. These cars were all 4-cylinder cars stock, with a 1.3 liter, single-overhead-cam Mazda B3 engine. The Festivas came with different trim levels(etc, etc, etc,).

Here is a run-down of actual values of these cars according Kelley Blue Book.

(Rundown)

If nothing else, I'd feel better. I'm also aware that if anyone ever found out that it was ME that posted that, I would have just about no chance of ever being able to purchase a Festiva on Craigslist in my area!

So what do you think, should I set it straight?
        uh no.
        Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
          uh no.
          X2
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Supply and demand, among other factors. Also, goods and services in a free market are worth what people are willing to pay.
            If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
            Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by deathegg View Post
              Supply and demand, among other factors. Also, goods and services in a free market are worth what people are willing to pay.
              Exactly.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

.... In addition to all these comments no one stops to think what happens when they have an accident especially if its NOT your fault. I've already been over this with my insurance broker and the truth of the matter is this. If you have an accident with ANY Festie over approximately $500.00 your done. Your car is scrapped for as much as a small DENT anywhere even though it is very much drivable. If anything, you have to absorb the cost of the accident yourself even though It was NOT your fault and you better NOT notify your insurance company unless there is personal injury or proper damage other than what your Festie has sustained, there is nothing you can do to collect damages from the other party unless you're willing to give up your Festie to the JUNKYARD. Unless the other person feels morally responsible, and there are VERY few of those left in our society, YOUR DONE, WELL Baked, FINISHED. Those hefty price tags, $1000, $1500, $2000, and $2500, $3000, will NOT only buy a lot of gas but there are a number of other cars VERY much worthy of consideration for that kind of money with and without modifications. As was mentioned here in this thread a number of sellers put their car up for sale just to see if they can get their price. I think most people that BITE on this HOOK are NOT only uninformed, have NO idea of what their buying, sounds good to them at the time, and have NO clue for the most part of how to really take care of their Festie, have an excess amount of money they DON't KNOW how to HANDEL or MANAGE, and these are the kind of people these sellers are looking for. And, of course once the sale is finalized there is NO going back. Then they realize they're STUCK and most take a BIG lose, and have they learned anything?

A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

There are ways to have your car insured for what it is worth and if you buy a car that is worth more then they will settle normally then you should do that. As far as not telling your insurance company that you do use that you were in an accident....that may be illegal...it is in the state of Ohio. You can always buy the car back from the insurance company and then fix that little scratch that you say will total it. Because some people do not think these cars are worth more then 500.00 does not make it so. Because KBB says they are not does not make it so. And because someone does pay more then that does not make them an idiot or uninformed.
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

This past winter I got hit by an uninsured stop sign runner. Messed up my right tie rod (bent to an "L" shape), some fender damage and my right side door is toast. The worst damage seems to be the big dent and scars on my right rocker panel.

My insurance company totalled my car out and gave me $1640 after the uninsured motorist deductable ($250) and scrap value ($125). I obtained a salvage title and will be fixing her up soon.

We'll see how that goes. Depends on how picky the inspection will be, I suppose. I am planning on doing a good job, but I need a welder to work on the rocker panel. Probably with some reinforcements.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Ok, I'm glad I didn't post then. Thanks, guys.
                      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Sometimes your Festiva can be worth even more than you could imagine.
                        I was truly in good hands with Allstate back in 2006.
                        It was high tide and there was a torrential down pour as my wife and son
                        were driving on "The Crosstown" in Charleston. They would have made it though the
                        high water if a big 4wd SUV had not zipped by them leaving a wave of
                        water that was sucked into the engine. Ole Yeller had 64,693 her at the time.
                        My first offer from Allstate was $1500 to total her, but I convinced them otherwise.
                        In the end Allstate ended up paying $5579.65 to put a new engine in Ole Yeller and get her back in tip-top shape; they even paid my deductible for me.
                        Last edited by 1990new; 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Bottom line the car is worth what the Market is willing to pay at the time.

With all things being equal, an honest well written ad, with clear pics and a detailed description on e-bay is a good indication. If the car does not sell for what you feel it is worth, than its Most likely not worth what you think. You can stomp your feel all day but it is what it is. Everyone wishes they could get more but we must be realistic unless you prefer to hold on to it for months and years at that price.

How many cars have you seen not sell and be relisted on E-bay or craigslist.
                          You say to yourself, HUM...? Its falsely advertised for that price or something is screwy...right?
                          91 Festiva, BP, auto
                          69 Mercury Cyclone CJ, 428 SCJ, 4 spd

Comment

I'm confused when I read posts here about insuring Festivas against collision damage. Why would you even bother buying insurance on something that, even when insured for "stated value," is only worth a few thousand dollars? Why not just pocket the premiums that you would otherwise pay, and in a couple of years, you've saved the max payout you might ever get from an insurance company. Self-insure.

My method is "If I can sustain the loss, I don't insure against it." "Sustain the loss" also includes walking home and continuing my day driving another Festy -- strictly a paper loss.

BTW, I always buy liability insurance -- lots of it -- since I can't sustain the loss (from a $500K judgement) if I should run over Granny in a crosswalk.
                            88L black, dailydriver
                            88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                            4 88/89 disassembled
                            91L green
                            91GL aqua pwrsteer
                            92GL red a/c reardmg
                            3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                            1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Haven't bought collision a Festiva since I paid off the bank loan on the one that I bought new. I always buy the comprehensive (glass breakage, theft, flood, etc.) since it doesn't add much more to the cost of liability. The comprehensive coverage paid the $5579.65 to revive Ole Yeller.

Comment

Working...
                              X