Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Guy
    replied
    What do you guys think of the Purolator Pure One filters? Advance is running a 20 percent off sale now and the Pure One Festiva filters are down to $5.00 each. With the discount they are $4.00 each!

I'm about to make an order, including five Pure One Oil Filters (for Festiva) to go with some more wheel paint.

Pretty good deal, or are the Pure Ones just so-so? I've usually run Bosch, but I also bought a couple NAPA Gold and one Wix. (I prefer the Festiva size instead of the 323 spec, since they're bigger.)

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 07-02-2011, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• blkfordsedan
    replied
    Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
    Your real concern should be the Fram filter. Cut one open and look at the shoddy construction. I only use Wix, Motorcraft, Napa Gold or Silver, Purolator or AC/Delco. The Delco and Ford filters are made by Purolator.
    X2...................actually, I think the "top-of-the-line" Frams are built much better than their standard line & get pretty good reviews. Otherwise, they're crap.
    Last edited by blkfordsedan; 06-06-2011, 06:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mikeand
    replied
    The Fram and cheap filters are just cardboard shoved into a tin can. Wix and Napa are the route to go.

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    I recall reading other guys complain about Fram filters in the past, so I've generally avoided them. I do use Bosch, though, sometimes.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• TominMO
    replied
    I go with a top filter like the Wix, or Purolator PL series filters. Any oil is good enough IMO, but I am now using the Castrol High Mileage, 5W30 for winter and 10W30 for summer.

Leave a comment:

• Larry Hampton
    replied
    Your real concern should be the Fram filter. Cut one open and look at the shoddy construction. I only use Wix, Motorcraft, Napa Gold or Silver, Purolator or AC/Delco. The Delco and Ford filters are made by Purolator.

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    The Mazda engines are so well built, that if you do oil changes every quarter, using good (not best) quality oil and filters, you will be fine. Just know what you are doing and do it on schedule.

If you go the high performance route, with rebuilt engine, etc., then maybe crank up your quality and servicing. Not necessary on stock engines.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• NicholasJackson
    replied
    I usually change every 5k (km) just oil, oil filter every 10k then flush every 15k

using high quality stuff.

Leave a comment:

• 91mcnasty
    replied
    I think you should wait 3k before changing. Even at 3k my oil still looks close to new just my .02

Leave a comment:

• jrwitten
    started a topic oil changes

oil changes

Hey, i'm changing my oil every 2k, been using the fram xtragard (9 bucks) Changing that often, can i use the cheaper filter( 4 bucks) without worries? Also, using valvoline 5/30, decent oil?
Working...
X