No announcement yet.

just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok i knwo the 2 wires ur talking about ive seen them once before so i need to test for 12v power to it right

Comment

cause i can turn the engine over all day long but wont get spark

Comment

A Haynes manual is a far greater resource than an owner's manual. I recommended you check the former.

If you're absolutely certain that you're not getting spark, and that's your only problem keeping the engine from starting, and it wont start with the coil hot wired, and you've already changed the ignition control for a known good one, and the spark issue falls inline with key position, why haven't you already checked/changed the ignition switch?

You check for continuity between the coil wire and the main power to the switch.

Is your car efi or carb? (i wasnt paying attention to your other threads.)
        Last edited by Christ; 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

efi the engine turns over and yes i have a haynes manual i use it like an owners manual lol and i do not get spark unless i let off the key and i know this cause i hold the coil wire the whole time no its not the wire cause its brand new and i dont know how to check the switch and i havent replaced it casue advance doesnt sell it and i dont have a job or money i need my car to get money lol and if u havent seen it yet im a mechanic just not good with ignition on new cars old cars i can fix like its nothing

Comment

Well if your a mechanic then look at the wiring diagrams and figure it out. Its about as basic as it's going to get whether it's new or old. Quit shotgunning parts and find out what is wrong.

Comment

im trying to im out there everyday trying to figure out im just asking for advice from yall to see if yall think of something im not thinking of

Comment

Originally posted by 93festiva1 View Post
                efi the engine turns over and yes i have a haynes manual i use it like an owners manual lol and i do not get spark unless i let off the key and i know this cause i hold the coil wire the whole time no its not the wire cause its brand new and i dont know how to check the switch and i havent replaced it casue advance doesnt sell it and i dont have a job or money i need my car to get money lol and if u havent seen it yet im a mechanic just not good with ignition on new cars old cars i can fix like its nothing
                The Haynes Manual has a section to diagnose the switch. Had a Festiva recently have the same problem, n spark. A new switch fixed the problem. This does not mean it definitely is the switch, it might be. Pulling it out is easy, and the haynes+ a multimeter will do the trick for testing it. There are circuits that should either be opened or closed in different key positions. If one is not working, THEN you can figure out how to bypass it if need be.

And look, if the car is making you so mad that you feel the attitude ramping up, then it is time to set down the tools and cool off for a little bit, THEN post on the net, or pick the tools back up. Otherwise, you might break something, and end up costing yourself more.
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

i know the felling

alright i have the switch wires taken off right now ill have to test tomarrow to dark and i cant find my meter anyone know what the meter should read i know the book say closed or open but not what it should read thanks and anyone know where to get a switch if it is whats wrong

Comment

A test light will work for checking the switch.

Comment

Closed circuit is ANY reading, open circuit is 0.

Set your multi to ohm (the O with legs).

I had an 88.5 EGT that the switch actually caught on fire. With a piece of wire and a bunch of fuses, I systematically tested each circuit in the plug to figure out what I needed to make it start and run.

The only reason I'm saying switch, for the record, is that it didn't fire when hot wired, which means there is probably more than one bad circuit, and since its highly unlikely that several systems have "worn out"wiring or connections, that points me to the switch.

Diagnosis for ya.
                      Last edited by Christ; 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

ok do i test the switch or the wire going to the switch as in the wires on the car or the switch itself

Comment

ok guys its 3 in the morning kinda p.o but hay i went and played with the festiva for a little bit and checked all the wires on the switch everything works with key off and out white wire with red strip had power turn on acc had power turn on ignition had power the test light i had flashed when i tried to start it so im going to guess the switch is working good

but something else happen when i was checking things out i was looking under the dash to see if maybe there was a short or something some where and was moving around a few wires and relays when all of a sudden the lights came on and something was buzzing like if u had the door open or what not scared the crap out of me lol

Comment

My car went through symptoms just like yours when I got it. It wouldn't start at least 3 days out of 5. I started with electrical at the switch. In pulling the dash apart I had my lights and buzzer come on. Problem found. I pulled ALL the plugs apart cleaned the contacts on both sides and put them back together. No problems in the 3-4 months since.
                            -Bryant

Comment

ok there is a little black relay next to the battery that says coil could that be bad and how can i test it to see what happens

Comment

When testing the ignition switch as according to the haynes manual, a test light would have to be a self powered one. Where it says closed circuit, that means you are looking for continuity. A self powered light would come on then. Just getting power to the switch and turning all the lights on doesn't rule it out, unfortunately. The one I was working on that was bad would turn the car over, activate the lights, but not give spark.

BTW, open circuit means no continuity.

You are testing the three plug in leads that run to the switch, after unplugging from the wiring harness. You can even leave the switch in to test, although it is easier, IMHO, to pull the thing out, as you can immobilize the leads for easier testing. Besides, I hate laying on my back on the floor without taking the seat out...

If you pull the switch, there are two screws on top of the switch that holds it onto the steering column. I use a decent set of needle nose vice grips, but pliers work in a pinch. Grab them a time or two and squeeze HARD before twisting. Once they break loose, you can pull them out with your fingers. I know others cut a slot into the head to use a screw driver on them as well.
                                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                                X