The 'fuelly' economy thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^
    I don't let it idle, fire it up and gently drive away till it's up to temp before ramping up to speed which for me is targeted at 60MPH.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I dont let it idle either, even when it is -15C (5F). I drive VERY conservatively though!

Comment

Interesting, okay no idling it is. Will see what difference it makes
        200,000KM milestone!

Comment

With the Auto trans I have been shifting to neutral when I know a traffic light is changing red or coming to an off ramp. Coast to the stop. I leave it in N at the light till I start and then start gradually. I am quite sure it saves a little. Less load on the engine. ?
          91 Festiva, BP, auto
          69 Mercury Cyclone CJ, 428 SCJ, 4 spd

Comment

Just got my head back from machine shop. 91 Auto was getting 36.1-36.6 for last 3 tanks. It had very bad shape exhaust valves. One was almost burnt beyond repair. Seals leaked like crazy. Filled up today so we'll see in a week.
            -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              Looks OK to me.
              Your badge shows an average MPG of 36.3 and the fuelly site, when I go to your link shows:

Basic Stats
              (+0.4)
              avg MPG

(+2.3)
              last MPG

(3/23/11)
              best MPG

All seems in order to me.
              Quick! Look now! It only does it sometimes apparently.
              Buck.
              -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
              -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
              -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Oh, never mind. Dashboard has different number (last 10 fuel ups) than when you are actually looking at the car's profile
                Buck.
                -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Back in the early 1990's I took my '89 carbureted (4 spd stick) Festiva on a trip from Pennsylvania to North Carolina (7-1/2 hour trip). I got 45mpg. It had not been on any trips since then. Last weekend I took it to Delaware (4 hour trip) and only got 31.5 mpg. The prevoius weekend I took the '93 fuel injected automatic on the same Delaware trip and got 31.75 mpg. The '89 has 150,000 miles and the '93 has 144,000 miles. The only gas we can get here has 10% alcohol in it so I assume the poorer quality of the gas now and the higher miles on the cars has killed the good gas mileage. Both cars are well tuned & well maintained.
                  Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
                  Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

Comment

With good o2 sensors?
                    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Disappointing MPGs

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                      With good o2 sensors?
                      As far as I know the O2 sensor on each car is original - so no, I don't know how good they are. Both cars run great though. These trips also involved speeds of 65-85 mph but I also went that fast during the 45 mpg trip back in the early 1990's.
                      Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
                      Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

Comment

I just averaged 36.5 mpg on my last two tanks. I'm driving a 91 auto on 100% gas with the AC running. I think that's pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                        X