When does it become a parts car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does it become a parts car?

Hello all. First post. Last week I bought my first Festivas. 92 and 88LX. I kept my promise to buy a 92 from a guy that was in rough shape body wise. 148,xxx miles. Runs great but reverse is funny in that you have to hold it there or it will pop out. New parts, etc. 100% drive-able. Along came an 88. Much, much better condition 128,000 miles, clean. Titled it and started driving it right away. I don't have the room for the 92. I've taken a few parts from it. I'm thinking of parting it. I have't looked into power ratings for different years but the 92 is noticeably quicker. I'm thinking of putting the engine in the 88 down the road. Back to the original question. When does a car become a parts car? Would it be better to try and sell the car whole to someone that could take it and drive it or part it? Opinions?

88LX 5 speed.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

well it all depends on what parts you took off and what you want out of it. You can always try to sell it whole but if that does not work then you can part it out and keep some parts yourself for spares.

The 88 looks really nice...manual or auto?
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Thanks. It's a 5 speed. Currently the 92 is fully functional. 3 bald tires one new. The aluminum rims and tires came with the red one. The exhaust ends right before the rear tires.
      88LX 5 speed.

Comment

My personal opinion, I'd pull the engine and its accessories, computer and wiring harnesses and store it, and possibly keep the aluminum time if you're gonna run 12s. I'm not all that familiar with the steelies, but those look like they might be 13s on the red car.

Then I'd part the car.
        1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
        1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
        2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Where are you located? That black/ teal car looks familiar
          :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

When does it become a parts car?

When you sell it to me!!!!!! Thats when!!!!

Ha Ha, naw, just wanted to welcome you to the forum!
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Around here it doesn't become a parts car until there's absolutely no hope left for it...and even then it's debatable

BTW - Welcome to the site!
              If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Ha! Thanks for the welcome. Mckabe the car is from the Milwaukee area. Not exactly sure where. I bought it from a guy that bought it from a guy out there.
                88LX 5 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                  Around here it doesn't become a parts car until there's absolutely no hope left for it...and even then it's debatable

BTW - Welcome to the site!
                  HAHAHA, yea I like to give them every chance in the world to survive. I have had the paddles out watching the flat line and then beep they come back to life again.
                  91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                  82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                  85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

First of all welcome
                    And second I'd strip all parts off
                    Of it so you will have them if
                    You have the room this means doors ,hatch,hood take off
                    Windows and bumpers ,mirrors and
                    Any thing else
                    Then sell the shell but if it is rusted real bad stripping it may be your
                    Best bet. You never know when you re going to need a part

CONTACT FOR 4TH STIVA:July 2 2011.TURKEY STIVA
                    91-auto gl :::Ol Glory

Comment

I'm digging that '88! The 92 looks super rough but as long as it runs I'd keep it together personally.

Welcome to the forum!

Taylor

Comment

Welcome to the site and no the 92 isn't dead yet but if your short on room by all means yank every last part from her body, at some point you or someone you know will need some Festy parts.
                        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

If you absolutely can't keep both, it would be which course of action will benefit you most.

1. Strip the '92 for all the spare parts you might need.
                          2. Strip the '92 and tear down the '88 to redo it as an EFI car.

Or,

3. Sell the '92 to someone who gives you the price you want for it.

Options 1 and 2 will still get you around $100 for the steel scrap, I believe, but a potentially useful Festiva is doomed.

Option 2 is also a lot of work. You'd really have to want it.

Both these options give you plenty of spare parts though.

Option 3 would be easiest, and if you make enough money it will certainly expand some options on improving the '88. If you fix up the '92 a little bit more, you can get more money for it.

There is also a combined option: swap around the parts you want from the '92 and then sell it. You could even take some critical parts and sell it that way. Have parts and get more money too.

Weigh your options and make your choices!

The best option would be to move onto a lot of rural land and begin a Festiva colony!

Karl

PS: That '88 is just sooooo nice!
                          Last edited by Safety Guy; 07-07-2011, 08:37 AM.
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

hello im a nubie to this forum came here alot checking out parts. i grew up in a festiva. i am in iowa. need one to start on. have u sold black? if not how much i am in desperate need of a stiva im looking everywhere thanks

Comment

^^ That's what I'm talkin bout! There's always someone looking for a car so if it's salvageable keep it rolling

Your "scrapper" could very well be someone else's "project" :thumbup:

Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post
                              HAHAHA, yea I like to give them every chance in the world to survive. I have had the paddles out watching the flat line and then beep they come back to life again.
                              LMAO :mrgreen: "CLEAR!!!"
                              If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                              X