Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been thinking about ecoboost's, pros, cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been thinking about ecoboost's, pros, cons?

Ok so lately i have been thinking that in spring/summer 2012 i should be in a financial position to buy a new car and i've really had a thing for the new taurus SHO's, i mean AWD, twin turbo, and i think they are a very sharp looking car, what more could you want

I know they are a fairly new powerplant but i'm looking to hear any pro's and cons to them besides the fact of having a car payment lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

runs on Premium I believe
    Owner of:
    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
    In progress:
    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

So does my festiva :lol: ecoboost's get 30+ MPG don't they?

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

If you keep your foot out of it, and that sounds very optimistic
        Owner of:
        In progress:

Comment

Well that goes for any turbo engine i'm thinking more along the lines of, are they a well designed engine? reliable? etc. things that would re-assure me that'd i'd be happy owning one

Comment

From what I've read, very much so, the 3.7L is based of the 3.5L Duratec I believe, which has been around for a while and we haven't had any probs in our 2008 Taurus X
            Owner of:
            In progress:

Comment

Forgive me, but is the 08' the same body style as the current ones?

Comment

3.7 is a different family I believe.

And you will NOT get 30+ mpg out of a SHO. They're rated at like 24 hwy. Not saying its impossible, just not with you driving, and not on a regular basis.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Well 24 mpg is still a lot better then my jeep lol my Festiva is roughly 28-29mpg so mileage would be any issue for me

Comment

As far as I know the main problem with the Ecoboost is oil carbon build up on the back of the intake valves. We have the same problem with the twin turbo bmws. It's due to direct injection. There is no fuel in the intake to wash it out. Regular maintenance with some intake cleaner will keep it in check though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe it has the 3.5L, so the mechanicals are proven. Direct Injection is not that different from tradional in terms of hardware. Ford built hundreds of thousands of turbo engines, so they pretty much have that figured out as well. The new Taurus won the JD Powers award for highest quality.
                      But,

365HP and 350Lbft from 1500 to 5000 rpm........what more do you need to convince you?
                      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by rollertoaster View Post
                        As far as I know the main problem with the Ecoboost is oil carbon build up on the back of the intake valves. We have the same problem with the twin turbo bmws. It's due to direct injection. There is no fuel in the intake to wash it out. Regular maintenance with some intake cleaner will keep it in check though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Good point. Same issues that EFI has with the throttle body and intake runners, it just happens to effect the valves as well on Direct Injection. I would think that an improved PCV system would really help the issue.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

On the sho forum , someone just posted a 27 mpg on a road trip to Montreal.

Remember the ecoboost also comes in the Flex. They are pretty much as fast as the sho.

Livernois does also tunes for the ecoboost , Someone almost touched the 12 secs just with a tune.

Comment

I would think that an improved PCV system would really help the issue.
                            Or a supplemental high flow TBI for when it's in boost. Hehe.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixSHO View Post
                              On the sho forum , someone just posted a 27 mpg on a road trip to Montreal.

Remember the ecoboost also comes in the Flex. They are pretty much as fast as the sho.

Livernois does also tunes for the ecoboost , Someone almost touched the 12 secs just with a tune.

^^those are the good things I wanted to hear... Hmm 12's lol as far as the flex's, I think they're ugly as hell, either an SHO or nothing :lol:

What other things are good to know about them?
                              Last edited by Damkid; 07-15-2011, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X