Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been thinking about ecoboost's, pros, cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the Flex is ugly as hell too! Go for the SHO man they are awesome.

My old tuner who has a TT Ford GT bought one and ran a pretty impressive time with a tune I'm gonna ask him what he ran and what power he made.

It was probably Torrie i want to say it was low 13s with just a tune.
    Last edited by M3NTAL; 07-15-2011, 04:07 PM.
    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Not to hack the thread, but torque used to be measured in ft-lbs, and now it's in lbs-ft?
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Thanks mental, like I said, I'm a while away from buying one but I'm anxious to get one :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

What nobody tells you in the new car ads is that; engine life is sacrificed on the altar of power. I, frankly, am amazed at the numbers they put out these days. I have a primitive 300 (4.9l) 6 in my 86 Ford truck (engines made from 66-96) and it now has 475K on the clock and doesn't use oil at all or ever had any internal repairs. But that old motor doesn't rev either and only puts out 120 bhp. However, the old girl can and will, without sweating, 'pull down a house'. How does that compare to 1/2-sized 6 bangers that are whizzing around at 8 grand with all kinds of space-age electronics and armed with turbos, and on paper, well exceed the same feat. Get out your wallet to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
            Not to hack the thread, but torque used to be measured in ft-lbs, and now it's in lbs-ft?
            Its a force applied at a distance or (force X distance) so the politically correct way to express it is Lbft or Lbin. If you are a Metric type of guy, then it would be Newton X meters or Nm. To complicate it further, in Engineering, torque has a slightly different meaning than in Physics.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Bert, your 300 I6 is also made of gray iron, using primitive (by today's standards) casting processes. The pistons are made of the same aluminum used to make lawn furniture. The rings are high tension sintered iron with a chrome moly face. As long as revs and pressures are kept low, she'll chug along for a long, long time.

The new 3.5L Ecoboost is cast from high grade aluminum alloys, the same used in aerospace applications. The block is cast with a special proprietary process, to ensure maximum durability. Direct injection allows much more complete extraction of the potential thermal energy contained within the fuel.

Chris, the 3.5 Ecoboost has had only a few issues, but one of them has been significant. Early production engines have been experiencing piston failure. Ford has been replacing complete engines, and expect to have a revised piston to permanently address the concern. By the time you're ready to buy, that issue should be completely resolved.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Jim - I was actually hoping for you to post since I knew you would know that kind of info so thanks a bunch for that, but that issue could effect me though since I plan to get a used but still fairly new ecoboost, but either way I'll know to keep that in mind

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

the new taurus SHO is sick I'd say go for it
                  -93' Festiva L (B6T swap in progress)
                  -92' XR2 Capri (Parts car)

Comment

^^I plan on it :evil4: the part i have been holding back on saying is a new SHO will be my next project car, meaning my festiva will get a new home (i have a new owner in mind already if he has the space/money for it) after i finish turbo'ing it of course and break the fastest festiva record

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                      Chris, the 3.5 Ecoboost has had only a few issues, but one of them has been significant. Early production engines have been experiencing piston failure. Ford has been replacing complete engines, and expect to have a revised piston to permanently address the concern. By the time you're ready to buy, that issue should be completely resolved.
                      Jim, how does this stuff happen? I know the manufacturers (at least Ford) do extreme and excessive testing on new engines & designs. From what I understand, they go well beyond what any of us could ever do to an engine. I read an article on the testing they put the new Coyote 5.0 through and it almost made me lose sleep.

I can only assume the issues arise from suppliers and the parts used for production?
                      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

FB71 I love your description of my trusty old Ford 300 6 motor! I heard of people in the 1960s deliberately trying to blow up these engines during the time Ford was actually using them in dump trucks but without success. When I get around to building a 'new' one to commemorate this one's turning 1/2 million K I will see if there are some space-age parts that can be incorporated.

Comment

Chris, all the failures I've seen have occured at very low mileage. However, just today I saw one with almost 10k miles, with a hammered rod bearing... I have no idea wtf is going on...

Bert, I definately have some love for the 300!!! My dad bought them exclusively for 25 years! It's one of my favorite engines of all time. If you want a nearly bottomless well of info on it, check www.fordsix.com
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

here is the down fall of the SHO...37-40k PRICE TAG!!!! for my money if i could get any car right now i would get a Hyundai Sonata Limited. My mom just bought one and it blows my mind every time i drive it. The interior feels like your driving a car thats MUCH MUCH more expensive. the 2.0t with GDI produces CRAZY amounts of hp and tq and we average 35mpg hwy, 27 city, and if you were trying to get the same amount of stuff on the SHO that comes standard on the sonata your going to spend 40k where the price tag of the sonata is 27k. Go drive one and i promise you wont be able to stop smiling.

another thing, it only takes 87
                            Last edited by piratewilly; 07-16-2011, 09:07 PM.
                            (GONE)88 Festiva LX 5 Speed, Factory A/C, Factory Tow Hitch, Tach.
                            95k Original miles
                            New: Tires, Axels, Front Wheel Bearings, Fuel Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Carb Rebuild, Timing Set, Belts, Shoes, Distributor, CapRotor, Wires, Plugs, Coil, Grant 11" Steering Wheel, 3700 Watt Stereo System-6 1/2 Infinity speakers, Infinity tweeters, Almani 12" subs

Comment

Jim - i think when i get closer to be ready to buy one, i'll send you a message to ask about that problem, hopefully they have it figured out by then so i don't have issues with changing engines lol

piratewilly - yes i am well aware of the price tag, hence why i figure get a 1-2 year old one, the price should be closer to 30k, i have already thought a lot about the financial end of it, but thanks for the advice, but the sonata is kinda ugly to me, if i wanted hyundai's 2.0t, i'd get a genesis

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                                Bert, I definately have some love for the 300!!!...It's one of my favorite engines of all time.
                                I can't resist the temptation here...even if it is a thread jacking in progress:p

This my 300, with HEI dizzy, dual exhaust manifolds, and an AFB.

I don't think anyone could fit one of these into Taraus, although it would bolt to the 5 speed transaxle out of a GT-40. Hum...a mid engine inline 6 would certain be unique, but probably a waste of time and money
                                '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Working...
                                X