Miata Lowering Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miata Lowering Springs?

So I was doing some wishful searching and came across the fact that Miata Springs work?

Previous owner of ZEFstiva

Do it
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Well what gets me is one set is 96 and the other set the guy says is 99 :/
      Previous owner of ZEFstiva

Comment

I'd say early miata would be the way to go.....Here's some stuff I found though
        "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Lane wrote:

"I'd say early miata would be the way to go.....Here's some stuff I found though."

Agreed. Some work would need to be done on the rear to raise the spring perch. Perhaps with a combination of a Honda lowering kit and fabbing up a new spring perch to fit the Miata spring would work.

Shouldn't be too difficult and the spring rates seem appropriate. According to the last link, 235# front and 173# rear for the Tien lowering springs, if I read it right. I wonder what regular Miata springs would do? There should be spring offerings from other vendors as well.

I'd run front Miata (lowering?) springs on Rio struts.

Karl
          Last edited by Safety Guy; 07-22-2011, 08:02 AM.
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
            Lane wrote:

"I'd say early miata would be the way to go.....Here's some stuff I found though."

Agreed. Some work would need to be done on the rear to raise the spring perch. Perhaps with a combination of a Honda lowering kit and fabbing up a new spring perch to fit the Miata spring would work.

Shouldn't be too difficult and the spring rates seem appropriate. According to the last link, 235# front and 173# rear for the Tien lowering springs, if I read it right. I wonder what regular Miata springs would do? There should be spring offerings from other vendors as well.

I'd run front Miata (lowering?) springs on Rio struts.

Karl
            Ask and ye shall receive, Karl:

1990-1993 (NA) MT - 164.17/96.94
            1990-1993 (NA) AT - 153.52/93.53

Mind you this is before any sort of cutting or heating to modify them and permit lowering. Source and detailed information including all of the measurements you could ever want:

As for raising the spring up:

Don't bother paying for a coilover kit... waste of money when all you need is some threaded aluminum sleeve and a spinable perch material. This'll have to be bigger than standard 2" though for Miata parts to work. 3.27" is roughly 82-83mm I'd guess, so find some aluminum threaded stuff and some durable perches and go to town!

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184 is particularly relevant. Gives you a great visual on how you can get sleeves on there covertly too!

Street, Autocross and Track Performance for your Mazda, Fiat 124, Toyota-Subaru BRZ/FRS/86.
            Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 07-22-2011, 08:52 AM.
            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

As it would seem, finding threaded 3" pipe and tubing is practically impossible unless you only want the end of it threaded. It may be wiser to just use regular pipe and have a custom perch welded on. Measure twice, cut once I suppose. Start high and sort of sawzall your way down to a comfortable and well-performing ride height. Was worth a try though - either way, it'll be easy to get this working for those who want to use Miata lowering springs in lieu of coilovers.
              1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Working...
              X