how long can a master cylinder stay dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long can a master cylinder stay dry

Drained of brake fluid before damage occurs? I heard there's a diaphram inside that will rot out or something?
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

To late for the master. You can't get all the old fluid out. But on the brighter side, you have helped save the brake booster diaphragm which can be damaged as well by a leaking master cylinder.
    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

i had a leak in one of my brake lines and all the fluid drained out, so I had to replace the rear brake line, and went ahead and fixed the rust spot on the other rear brake line while i was at it, it's been 2 weeks, and the fluid pretty much drained out of the resovior.. is there gonna be an issue?
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

2 weeks shouldn't hurt it. I'd refill it, bleed the system, and go from there.
        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
        Zulu Ministries

Comment

The important thing to remember is that brake fluid by design absorbs water, so is the system is left open and any fluid is exposed to the elements, it needs flushed and replaced.
          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

naw the cap has been on it and it didn't sit for long before i fixed the leak.. i'm just hoping that it'll be ok, i'm gonna ATTEMPT to fill and bleed the brakes tomorrow. i hate bleeding brakes.. i had a bleeder valve snap off of a caliper on a 85 ford f250 i had, eh 3 outta 4 aint bad tho right?
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
            X