Confession: I bought a Geo Metro....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confession: I bought a Geo Metro....

I've been deliberating all week about how to break this news...There's just no easy way.

I'm still in love with my Festiva, even though the motor is wearing out. I was looking into a B6 swap, but I'm working 6 days a week. I haven't decided what my next step will be for "Festus". Maybe a BP? It definitely needs new CV joints/axles. I'm not close to giving up on this baby.

But I saw a '92 Metro XFI for sale a block away from my house. The XFI is said to be one of the most fuel efficient cars sold in North America. 1liter 3 banger and all that. This one does have the rust problem that is the Achilles of the Metros, the front frame horns, but I think I can drive it awhile and do a repair.

I'll be sure to share any Metro horror stories that come along. I could even post a pic if anyone is interested.
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Nice man! Get some pics! I know there are still quite a few of us who like geo's as well. Also you got the xfi so it is hard to argue with those mpgs. I hope it last a long time for you!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Confession.....I am going to ban you if you mention that wanna be car again!!!!

j/k.........maybe
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Parent Quote: Im not angry with you, Im just very dissapointed... lol
        Owner of:
        1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
        In progress:
        BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
          Parent Quote: Im not angry with you, Im just very dissapointed... lol
          Parent Quote continued: What your mother is trying to say, I thought we raised you better than this.
          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Mileage records are set by cars that are still running remember. Festivas are still running, and owners aren't selling right now.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I have ALWAYS wanted an XFi. Festys are just a tad more reliable/abundant/practical. Mileage suffers though.
              Buck.
              -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
              -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
              -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

I am getting a board together to have you excommunicated.
                ~Austin
                Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Hey man I know you just bought it for the rims no harm no foul :tongue3:
                  Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

Comment

You're from Paola so we'll give you a little lee-way... I kid. Sometimes you do what you gotta do. The Metro will probably wear you out quick so don't get rid of the Festiva. Sounds like alot of dead Festiva's down there maybe Marcus needs to go clean up!
                    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Downside of Metros is indeed the rust and that engine is expensive with no easy bolt in substitutes. Festiva can use other plentiful B6 engines as direct bolt in. I have always wondered how hard it would be to adapt a Festiva/323 drivetrain into a Metro or Justy. Not sure if they were generous enough with space to physically fit it. And one would have to splice axles.

Guess if I needed a replacement for my Festy and couldnt find another reasonable priced, I'd probably go for a 323 or a Tracer. Even though those cars were 500 pound heavier, they had the nice robust Mazda drivetrain that I am familiar with. Hmm, wonder if you could strip 500 pounds of weight off a 323 without making it more unsafe.

Comment

Sandblast the rust and spray bedliner under the car! I say this to everyone with this issue. Especially the people from the salt states.
                        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                          Sandblast the rust and spray bedliner under the car! I say this to everyone with this issue. Especially the people from the salt states.
                          The issue isnt surface rust or scale. The area of the frame where the front control arms mount tends to rot out.

That said, the XFI is the ultimate MPG machine. Besides a 1st gen Insight. I think I'd take either.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                            The issue isn't surface rust or scale. The area of the frame where the front control arms mount tends to rot out.
                            Bad steel?
                            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

My guess is the design results in retention of salt and corrosives. Metros have their control arm pivot body points susceptible to rot just like our Festivas can get bad in front of the rear wheels. It's just that Metros don't take as long to get bad.

Karl
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                              X