KAMM-BACK Festiva! WHAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id rather fiberglass a fin on my roof to make it look like a shark
    Last edited by M3NTAL; 08-15-2011, 12:55 PM.
    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

^^even that I wouldn't do :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Wouldn't the stock spoiler have the same affect? I can understand the logic behind this but it just looks messed up. Kinda reminds me of a aspire/festiva/new fiesta wanna be or something.
        Last edited by festivaWES; 08-15-2011, 04:53 PM.
        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

The Kammback retains the boundary layer of air rushing over the car and then abruptly ends its journey at the rear end where it has less turbulence. (Or something like that.) Compare the the size of the rear end of an unmodded Festiva with the smaller size of the area inside the plastic extension. That makes much less area for the wind coming off the car to add drag.

The main idea is to keep the air flowing smoothly over the car until it can come off with minimal turbulence.

The stock spoiler may help a bit on keeping the boundary layer a bit longer but wouldn't work as well as the Kammback does.

An intermediate tool to do the same thing to a lesser extent would be to have a modified Pride spoiler extended back about half the distance this plastic sheeting one is. People might like how it looks a little better.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

now all that's need to be done is add a 1/4-3/8" right angle piece to the Kammback to cleanly seperate the flow along the surface.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Artie wrote:

"Now all that's need to be done is add a 1/4-3/8" right angle piece to the Kammback to cleanly seperate the flow along the surface."

I don't understand.

A mini spoiler on the end? Or is this a longitudinal installation separating airflow along the body?

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I think you need to ditch the wipers, and apply rain-ex weekly. Pizza pan those wheels, grill block, and look for 6% increase. At 46 at a baseline...that's 2.76 mpg more. Be sure to install a vacuum guage, the work wonders.

If you need one i have a full sweep 30 psi guage...

Going alternatorless in some vehichle can net as much as 10% in fuel mileage savings...
                Last edited by festivaWES; 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM.
                ---------------------------------------------------
                The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                ---------------------------------------------------
                BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

not sure if these images will show up in this forum (sometimes you have to be logged in to the hosting forum site to view em. so i'm posting links as

I know it's a "car that shall not be named" but something like this would work. Not so sure about the thing on the back.
                  92 Festiva (since 6/23/2011!)http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/im..._surprised.gif
                  79 AMC Concord http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/im.../icon_cool.gif
                  03 Taurus (kids drive)
                  09 Escape Hybrid (wife's--mostly)
                  07 Yamaha Majesty (my toy)http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/im.../icon_wink.gif
                  08 Yamaha Morphus (wife's toy)

Comment

This is my take on a mini kammback. Once I get the car lowered my airdamn should help a little too. Also I'm very strongly considering closing off my upper grill, and partially closing the lower. I need to offset my lost mpg from going up to 175/70/13 tires

---
                    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rollertoaster View Post
                      This is my take on a mini kammback. Once I get the car lowered my airdamn should help a little too. Also I'm very strongly considering closing off my upper grill, and partially closing the lower. I need to offset my lost mpg from going up to 175/70/13 tires
                      Would have thought with proper (higher) tire pressure you'd have gained MPG depending on driving style.
                      One more benefit of a blocked upper grill, much less wind noise inside the car.
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

well I like to mess around on the back roads, so I can't got too high on tire pressure 35-38 is my normal. I'm not terribly concerned with wind noise, I have no interior or radio. I listen to my ipod when I drive. lol

Comment

Yeah I keep mine at 44-45 psi, especially now as they will rub if I dont keep em full! Man the looks people give though! Double, triple takes, it is really funny watching people react to the Kammstiva!

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodin4me View Post
                            Dont leave that duck tape on very long or
                            it will take you forever and a day to get the glue off the paint.
                            Dont ask how i know that
                            WD-40 is pretty good at getting off duct tape glue. Still need some elbow grease tho.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                              WD-40 is pretty good at getting off duct tape glue. Still need some elbow grease tho.

Zippo lighter fluid works great.
                              89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                              My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                                Artie wrote:

"Now all that's need to be done is add a 1/4-3/8" right angle piece to the Kammback to cleanly seperate the flow along the surface."

I don't understand.

A mini spoiler on the end? Or is this a longitudinal installation separating airflow along the body?

Karl
                                yes, a mini spoiler at the end. take a close look at F1 spoilers and you'll see what i'm talking out.
                                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                                X