Car would die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car would die

Don't know what the real problem was but when I would start the car it would run for awhile and then it would stutter a little and then it would just stop. I checked and I do have spark to the distributor. I even too distributor cap off and cleaned all the little tabs and the rotor. I thought it might be fuel filter(which is pain to change) and it did it after that. Then the next day I started it, it did it again. I waited for short time, tried it again and it started. This time check engine light came on. I turned car off, restarted it and light didn't come on anymore. I went up to parts store and got an o2 sensor and put it on. Started car and it is running pretty good now. I even cleaned battery posts and made sure ground wire was tight. I do have question. If I were to leave the regular fuel filter on, and put a see thru filter between it and throttle body, would it hurt the gas pressure any. That way I could see if it happens again, am I having any trouble with fuel pump. Maybe its going out or the little screen on it is getting plugged up. The reason I'm thinking fuel is it is acting like my truck was doing and after awhile it just would not start so I changed the fuel filter and was going to change pump and it turned out filter was so clogged. So, would see thru filter hurt anything?
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

most see-throughs are for low pressure applications (less than 6 psi), i'm not aware of an EFI filter that is see-through.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

summit sells the specter clear ones. I have one of these on my car and it has held up well.

Free Shipping - Spectre Performance Pro-Plumbing Fuel Filters with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fuel Filters at Summit Racing.
      Last edited by kartracer46; 09-10-2011, 07:53 PM.
      91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
      82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
      85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        most see-throughs are for low pressure applications (less than 6 psi), i'm not aware of an EFI filter that is see-through.
        On my old sport I used to run the clear ones from Autozone without any problems at all.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

TY for feedback. Do I have to take the original flter off though. I just put a brand new one on, can I run a see thru with it stll inline. Like said, reason for see thru is to tell me whether or not pump is failing. By the way, I will be gone for short. My wifes father passed away yesterday and we are headed for Fort Wort, TX
          01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

there should be no issue putting it in line. My other filter was shot and I by-passed it but if your is good and you just want to monitor the flow....there should be no issue.

Sorry for your loss.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

TY Geneva Dirt, appreciate the feedback and condolences
              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Just to let everyone know what the results have been since I did all the work in the first post to the car. I even put in a see thru fuel filter and the car has been running great since. Been driving it back and forth to work for two weeks and haven't had a bit of trouble with it quitting. Thank you all for your inputs and ty Genevadirt for info on see thru. I used a fram G-12.
                01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
                X