Gotta droning noise in my Festive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta droning noise in my Festive

Hi all: Bought a 1996 3-door hatch, manual trans, recently, and it has a loud (much louder than the engine) droning noise when the wheels are rolling - can anyone tell me what this might be?? Cheers Shazr

Wheel bearing, probably from the rear.
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

You'll have to jack up each corner and spin the tire by hand or with engine.

Comment

+2 on wheel bearings.
        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
          Wheel bearing, probably from the rear.
          Yep my first guess to , common problem on Festiva, next in line would be a bad tire. Festivas tend to eat exhaust from the cat back. Nice thing is most of this is cheap
          money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Rear wheel bearings are a chronic problem with Festys. A humming/droning noise is definitely symptomatic. Lift the car and spin the wheels. I've done rear bearings so often now that start to finish is only 1/2 hour. Use the old bearing outer races to help drive in the new ones. I also got rid of the crimp axle nut arrangement and went to slotted nut covers with a cotter pin through the axle. Late model Festys and Aspires already use that setup and drilling a hole through the spindle is not difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              Rear wheel bearings are a chronic problem with Festys. A humming/droning noise is definitely symptomatic. Lift the car and spin the wheels. I've done rear bearings so often now that start to finish is only 1/2 hour. Use the old bearing outer races to help drive in the new ones. I also got rid of the crimp axle nut arrangement and went to slotted nut covers with a cotter pin through the axle. Late model Festys and Aspires already use that setup and drilling a hole through the spindle is not difficult.
              I wouldn't say they are CHRONIC problem. I have owned numerous Festy's....4 at the moment...over 15 years and I have never had to change a rear wheel bearing yet. At least not one that has went bad and NEEDED replaced. I have changed them on a couple just because I was doing brake work and already had the drum off and got in the mood to do it.
              I know for some they have changed them multiple times but I would say it is a combination of installer error and cheap parts.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Bad tyre? Sorry but I'm a complete novice with cars - how can a tyre go bad? They all have good tread and that's all I know. What's bad? And if it's a wheel bearing that's the problem, is this dangerous? Like do I have to get it fixed immediately, or can I wait until I don't have to borrow the money to fix it???

Comment

Thanks - if it's a wheel bearing, is this dangerous? Like can I wait to fix it until I don't have to borrow money to do it, or should I not drive the car until I do fix it??

Comment

I wouldn't drive it too much because if the bearing seizes up it could stop the tire from rolling and ruin your tire or even make your car hard to handle or crash.

Rear bearings are easy to change. Check them by listening to the sound they make when you go into a turn. The noise will probably change too.

Check them by making sure the parking brake is off and grabbing the tire at the top and shaking it. If you get a lot of play (more than about 1/16" at the tire tread) then you need to tighten or change them to new bearings.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                    X