Bought my first car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought my first car!

My first car is a Festiva.....I did say first car.

My name is Chris. I've been driving trucks forever! Well with the economy the way it is I decided I needed a commuter for my 50 mile a day run to and from my shop. I run a custom off road fabrication shop where we do nothing but build big heavy bumpers and other parts for off roar trucks and SUVs. This has been my daily driver for the past 3 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZbteggkgZU

I love my truck!! I hate the fuel bill!!!! At about 400 HP it averages 12mpg and cost over $100 a tank. I was filling up at least once a week minimum! Not to mention the tires only last about 10K miles and cost about $400 each. I built the truck to crawl over boulders the size of the festiva and bigger. I have not found any terrain I haven't been able to conquer yet.

So......the solution:

1990 Festive L-Plus 5 speed
    122034 miles on the OD when I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. All original and decently well maintained. The Cv Shafts were shot so I replaced those. This site was very helpful in making that job easier than I would have just jumping in like I usually do. Changed the oil and filters this week and will start doing the rest of the basic tune up stuff shortly. Currently on the first 2 tanks I'm averaging a hair over40mpg. Got new snow tires on it today. 155 r12 Hankooks. I'm sure they will decrease the fuel economy a little. Man tires for 12" wheels are hard to find! The festiva is a blast to drive but I have such a hard time leaving things alone. Turbo keeps popping into my head. LOL

Started on doing some body work to smooth out the dents but overall the car is in great condition. No rust at all. I plan on keeping the car for a least a few years. The thing will pay for itself in 2-3 months just in fuel savings so dropping a little money into it isn't a big deal for me. My Bronco is feeling neglected though.
    Last edited by hefty; 10-22-2011, 08:07 AM.

NICE on both vehicles!!! I miss my 1st gen Bronco!! Welcome to the site!
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Welcome and nice festy!
      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
        NICE on both vehicles!!! I miss my 1st gen Bronco!! Welcome to the site!
        I own 3 broncos. My first was a 78 bronco that I still have but am getting ready to sell. The 93 that I posted above is so far from stock its not even funny....about $30K away from stock and finally a 72 classic bronco that we are currently working with a major Off road magazine (can't say which one yet) that we are doing a full custom build on. That one will probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of $100K worth of aftermarket parts and labor on. Luckily I don't have to pay for that out of pocket or it wouldn't happen. But I get to keep it when its done:p

78:

72 at its starting point:
        Last edited by hefty; 10-22-2011, 08:19 AM.

Comment

I've decided to call my Festiva "Speedbump" because well.....its not much more than that for the rest of my vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by hefty View Post
            I've decided to call my Festiva "Speedbump" because well.....its not much more than that for the rest of my vehicles
            SWEET!!!! LOVE the name!
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

My wife got a kick out of it

Comment

man, after seeing a pic of your '72, I REALLY miss my '69 now!!!! Mine was a rusty pile of crap, with 4" lift springs jammed into the stock suspension, with 33"x12.5"s, manual steering, manual drums all around, and a 302 with three-on-the-tree!!! It did have electric wipers (with the wiper cover!) and a rear seat, too!
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I found mine in an old ladys backyard. Her husband bought new off the dealer lot locally here. When he died he gave it to his 14yo grandson. I knocked on the door and gave the kid my business card. He called me 5 years later. I got it for $1500! 90% rust free 100% original. But its not staying original for long

Comment

That's going to be awesome with that magazine deal, and you get to keep it! That's incredible! You will have to post up some pictures when you finish up the 72
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I found mine in an old ladys backyard. Her husband bought new off the dealer lot locally here. When he died he gave it to his 14yo grandson. I knocked on the door and gave the kid my business card. He called me 5 years later. I got it for $1500! 90% rust free 100% original. But its not staying original for long
                      Damn! Now I'm realy, REALLY jealous!!!
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Welcome to the site.

LOL@Speedbump!
                        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

We can see you have put many hours into the Broncs and it shows but the 72 is it for me. Welcome to the site.
                          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Welcome! 5 speed and very low miles on the festy = win!! You could easily get another 200k out of it. Add up the fuel savings over the broncos for that 200k and you could build several more vehicles!
                            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Welcome to the forum !!
                              sigpic
                              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
                              X