No announcement yet.

Bought my first car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the site, I think we all look forward to seeing the progress on both your vehicles

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Bronco's....FTW! :p

I miss my 80 Bronco, but I dont miss the fuel bill for sure. I dont wanna even think about what it costs to fill the 33 gal tank it had.

Welcome to the site, Speedbump!
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Well I may have spoken too soon.

Driving this evening in the Festiva at about 65mph. Cruising down hill I engaged the clutch and cruised for a bit. When I went to lift off the clutch back into 5th I had nothing. The Clutch peddle felt completely soft as I went from neutral and back to 5th. Then I got tension back in the clutch peddle but I'm having no engagement in any gear including reverse. The clutch and engagement forks are all working properly from the engine bay inspection so its got to be something internal. The clutch gave no signs of slipping or anything. No tranny issues I could find. I've been driving it for 2 weeks and had no problems. There was no warning. I'm thinking the clutch pressure plate blew or something. Anything I should consider before pulling the trans out?

Comment

It'll barf f;uid everywhere when you pull the axles, remember to refill with ATF, NOT manual gear oil
          Owner of:
          1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
          In progress:
          BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Yeah I already replaced the axles and refilled with ATF to the proper level.

Comment

Welcome!

I dont know what to tell you about your transaxle problem. I've only done one clutch install when I did a 5 speed B6 swap.

Hope you get Speedbump up and saving you $$$$ again soon!

Love your '72 Bronco!

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

1st- If you're thinking turbo, swap at LEAST a B6 in first.

2nd- drop the tranny and look at the clutch. It could be that something leaked in there and caused it to slip, or maybe it got stuck disengaged.
                1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Welcome aboard! Hope to see your biulds on both vehicals. Remember, lots of pics.
                  If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

iv done a cpl clutchs on stock festivas. found that its easier to pull the motor to do the clutch IMO.
                    Rod

"Confidence is the most important thing you can teach someone... if you can teach them confidence, you don't have to teach them anything else."

1992 truckiva
                    1989 festiva lx (mine again)
                    1980 triumph tr7 convertible (project)
                    1976 tr7 hardtop (parts car)
                    1989 dodge caravan turbo
                    1975 amc gremlin 4x4 (play toy)

Comment

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
                      1st- If you're thinking turbo, swap at LEAST a B6 in first.

2nd- drop the tranny and look at the clutch. It could be that something leaked in there and caused it to slip, or maybe it got stuck disengaged.
                      I have the night to think it over and it very possible that something minor is causing the issue. I've been looking at the B6 swap. I'm still learning about these tiny engines. I'm used to big V8s that I make even bigger. This little 4 banger feels like an engine I would put in a go cart.

Originally posted by roadkyll View Post
                      iv done a cpl clutchs on stock festivas. found that its easier to pull the motor to do the clutch IMO.
                      I planned on pulling the whole engine. I have a full shop so its much faster and easier to do that than bending over the car in tight spaces. Besides it will allow me to fix the leaky seals on the engine and do some other things while its out.

Comment

Some of these 'little 4-bangers' can get over 300 WHP if you know what you're doing. V8's are fun for trucks and muscle cars, but 4-cylinders are fun to make fast. I can respect a fast firebird with a small block, but I can REALLY respect a fast geo metro with a 1.6L.
                        1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                        Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                        daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                        A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Well,
                          I pulled the engine and tranny out of the car. The clutch pressure plate was nothing but dust! KABOOM! So new clutch kit. Since the car has 120k on it and I'm sure that there really has never been anything major done to it I decided to do some of the major things while the engine was out of the car. It had a really bad valve cover leak so that got sealed back up. Also did the water pump, timing belt and tensioner, v-belt, distributor cap and rotor, NKG plugs and wires, New Mazda thermostat, front and rear struts, Rear brakes and wheel bearings (fronts are good), CV axles, lower control arms, Tranny flush and refill, cooling system flush including blowing out the heater core, Tires (thats why I killed the clutch, too much traction), and I know there was some more stuff and I cleaned out the trottle body and de greased/ pressure washed the engine and put a little paint on it. . Overall the car was down for 2 weeks between waiting for parts and finding time to work on it. It took me 45 minutes to pull the engine and tranny by myself and 1 hour to put it back in with the help of my 7yo son. Much easier to work on than the big engines I'm used too. Time to start saving money again.
                          Last edited by hefty; 11-14-2011, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Ok so I have a little problem now that everything is back together.
                            The car is stalling at random times like its not getting fuel. Then it won't start for about 5 minutes. Once it starts it runs like nothing is wrong for a while then randomly does it again. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

I'm guessing its a fuel delivery problem but not sure what would have caused it. Everything is back together correctly. Any suggestions on where to look next would be great! I need to get this thing back on the road. It cost me $97 to fill the bronco up today:cry_smile:

Comment

I'm not sure where to look but I'd check for grounding issues, maybe something got wiggled loose when you pulled the engine and transmission? Other than that the fuel pump going bad would be my next guess, but you said it's pumping... If it's not running at all now pull the hose off the fuel rail and make sure.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I checked the engine grounds and everything is good there. Gonna test the fuel rail again in the morning. Its dark and cold out right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X