EFI intake air reservoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFI intake air reservoir

The EFI Festys have a plastic air reservoir tank attached to the left side of the valve cover. I've noticed that Aspires don't. Has anyone out there disconnected or removed one of these things to find out what happens? I'm curious since it's a lot easier to access throttle cable and dashpot without that air reservoir being present. Thanks.

are you talking about the big plastic tank attached to the intake pipe? cause that just to reduce intake noise. pics would help.
    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Feel free to remove it and plug the hole. Have had mine gone for over a year, with no adverse effects.

Bill

Comment

Yes
        If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by 93festiva View Post
          Feel free to remove it and plug the hole. Have had mine gone for over a year, with no adverse effects.

Bill
          +1. Some people substitute Aspire intake tubes for a cleaner look.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

What you are referring to is called a Helmholtz resonator. It is designed to cancel out negative frequencies in the air intake tract pulses. Air does not travel smoothly from the filter to the throttle body, but actually forms pulse waves that have frequency. Depending on the design of the intake tract and other factors, negative frequencies can develop that will cause this pulsed air flow to stall out. Some intake designs do not require any, while some need several of them (tuned for different frequencies). They can also be used for sound purposes as well, to cancel any resonance that may develop. Bottom line is that it doesn't hurt any performance, and in fact may be there to help it.
            Last edited by blkfordsedan; 11-01-2011, 08:23 AM.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

blkfordsedan; much appreciate your learned/scientific response. Manufacturers don't install 'frills' like that because they feel like it but I couldn't help wonder why the later Aspire models deleted that feature. I will remove mine soon, just as a test, and report back as to what happens. I'm no hot rodder but if ordinary driving isn't affected, and I do wind up the car once in awhile and nothing happens, the darn thing will go in the garbage.
              And thank you other responders for the remaining advice.

Comment

Yes, everything has a purpose. But, sometimes its for reasons like noise or emissions, which are of no consequence to the average Joe. You can take it off...I doubt you'll even notice its gone. The Aspire uses a different tube, which evidently doesn't require one. Now you know what they are and why.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Getting rid of it does clean up the area quite a bit.

However I could see its use as an "air reservoir" and improving throttle response.

I had to get a whole intake setup for my subie when I bought it. I got one out of a 98 legacy 2.5gt, and right at the throttle body it has a large air "tank" thats supposed to improve throttle response.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                  X