99 626 crank pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 626 crank pulley

So the water pump finally died on me..the car is at my brother in laws, and I bought a new pump/gasket/rtv sealant, and a new timing belt, got the plugs out/valve cover off/upper timing belt cover off, and I'm stuck..the crankshaft pulley is kicking my butt, how do I get this thing off?

The book isn't much help at this point, it just says to remove the pulley. -.- i marked the camshaft sprockets and got the car on a jackstand, thanks to the zulu ministries for making that possible, and put a jack under the motor and got the motor mount off. The car is automatic and in park, but the crank pulley spins freely. Sum1 help please!

Last edited by zoom zoom; 11-18-2011, 03:14 PM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Impact wrench will be your best friend on this one. Maybe someone you know has a large cordless one you could borrow? Or if you're no too terrible worried about dinging the paint, Do like we do on the Miatas where there is no room to get an impact in there. Put a socket on the bolt and a breaker bar and brace it somewhere against the frame. Remember the engine is going to spin clockwise so make sure you brace it against the frame solidly so it when it does try to turn clockwise its already resting against something so it doesn't bang around it there. Bump the started just barely and it should come loose. Though with an automatic you're still going to have to figure some way of holding the crank when you torque it back, but at least the starter method will get the bolt loose for ya. Good luck, but be careful and remember you try this at your own risk Probably won't get yourself hurt since you'll be in the car when you hit the key, but if its done improperly it can bang the car up pretty good.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

The problem with an impact wrench is that I'd have to run 200 ft of cord..which I don't have, i hadn't thought of that tho, so thanks for the suggestion.

A friend of mine I just talked to since posting this thread said to jam a screwdriver between the flywheel and starter lol.. i think the bump method you posted sounds easier so I'll probably try that first, I remember hearing about that but after 2 1/2 hours of cold weather kicking my butt my brain wasn't wanting to function past getting tools put up. Not too worried about the paint really, it's under the car anyway so I doubt it'll mess anything up.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Rope in the cylinder trick might be the way to go.

Cheap/free and easily done.

Zulu Ministries was glad to help!
        Better than having to attend a funeral!
        Just remember to do the same for someone else, sometime when they least expect it!
        Bet you weren't expecting it!
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Lol, just feed some rope into the cylinder until the piston won't pump?! LOL... I almost want to try that just to do it..betcha I'd leave part of the rope in there and fry a ring or something stupid tho lol... May be a last resort, I have a couple 100' sections of 3/8" & 5/8" rope laying around I use to tie my dogs up with..hmmm
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Put the car in fourth gear, hold the brakes tight with the clutch out and try to loosen it. Takes two people.

Edit: nevermind I see its an automatic now.
            Last edited by freshtiva; 11-19-2011, 05:07 AM.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

The bump method is your best bet. or get a piece of steel and drill it out and bolt it to the pulley - let it hit something or slip a pipe over it or secure it in some way, similar to hole my crank tools work

1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
              High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
              Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

love that crank tool, i'm starting to appreciate the "tools" you showed me at ohiosteva and wish i'da had enough money to snag one or two..
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

The bolt came out really easy with the bump method.. and the pulley came off easy too, i didn't even have to pry or force it at all.

Got the old pump off and the new one on, there was pieces of ceramic and plastic laying in the housing when I pulled it off from the old seal. And to top it off my 7 yr old was "helping" and mixed up the 2 bolts for the steering pump bracket with the water pump bolts, which are identical in every way but thread pitch i guess. I kinda had to force one bolt in, but it held tight and didn't strip so it should work. The bolt that should have been there doesn't fit in the pump mounting bracket hole at all so I need to locate a new one.

BUT..now the new timing belt is kicking my butt, by the time I get the cams aligned they decide to jump out of place when I try to slip the belt on, and to beat it all, I think I might have the wrong size belt or something, even with the tensioner pulley twisted all the way around there isn't enough slack to get the new belt on. The old one was stretched pretty bad,, it's every bit an inch bigger than the new one, but there was a little slack in it when it was installed before even with the tensioner pulley tight as it could go. Not really sure what to do here.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                    BUT..now the new timing belt is kicking my butt, by the time I get the cams aligned they decide to jump out of place when I try to slip the belt on
                    Rocketman has a tool for that too Lol. Here's a link to the Miata.net Garage article on changing the belt:

I don't know how similar the 626 cams are, but they have couple of good tips and tricks for holding the cams.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Don't think it would fit the engine in question though - which one is it?
                      Casting does not work the best for these, I'm probably going to make them from 2-parr resin. I ordered some stuff, I'm waiting for it to come in. :thumbup:
                      1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                      High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                      Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                        Rocketman has a tool for that too Lol. Here's a link to the Miata.net Garage article on changing the belt:

I don't know how similar the 626 cams are, but they have couple of good tips and tricks for holding the cams.
                        thanks for that link, I think I'm gonna end up buying a couple cheap wrenches and drill some holes in em for a bolt to hold the cams still.

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post

Don't think it would fit the engine in question though - which one is it?
                        Casting does not work the best for these, I'm probably going to make them from 2-parr resin. I ordered some stuff, I'm waiting for it to come in. :thumbup:
                        Yeh, I went and looked after work, it definately won't work, this is a 2.0 mazda engine, the cam pulleys aren't more than an inch apart, the ones in that pic are spaced a bit farther apart and look taller.

It's been raining all day, and the forcast says it's gonna rain practically non stop for the next 3 days, so I put the eng mount back on and set the car down, don't need the ground falling out from under the jackstand/jack and ruining something. Since I have a couple days to think about it I'm painting more parts for fun.. I have a can or 2 of high heat paint from doing my aspire.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Oook, so I got this thing back together, I ended up doing the water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, wires, AND a starter.. It's running good, but today it started this annoying knock/tick noise, I don't know if it's the lifters or if it's the valves? I've put 60-70 miles on it, and it sounded fine until today on my way to work..

the noise is definately concentrated on the belt side of the engine, I don't know if maybe it's something with one of the pulleys? It seems to do it in time with rpm's?
                          Last edited by zoom zoom; 12-16-2011, 01:42 AM.
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                          X