No announcement yet.

MPG equivalents for Electric Vehicles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG equivalents for Electric Vehicles.

For anyone, who has an interest in our internal combustion engined(ICE) Festiva mpg & in electric vehicle consumption figures, go to fueleconomy.com & look up the 2011 Nissan Leaf. The EPA has translated electrical vehicle consumption into mpg-equivalents.

The lowest figure for the Nissan Leaf was 75mpg-Equivalent. Nissan Leaf is EPA rated for 99mpg-Equivalent. However, some people who know their electric motors, are well over those ratings...... 110, 122...... even 138mpg-equivalents. Those are not theoretical numbers, but real-world mpg-equivalents. Most important, these numbers seemingly apply to suburban & city conditions. I doubt those numbers apply to heavy stop & go conditions. However, electric vehicles should acquit themselves in heavy stop & go conditions, better than ICE, due to their maximum torque at 0 rpm & ability to recharge batteries by braking force.

Some preliminary numbers for the Chevy Volt are exceedingly high, while other numbers are lower. Maybe, someone here can explain the Chevy Volt numbers to me. Seems that some people must be giving only the gasoline consumption figures for their Chevy Volts, but not adding in the electrical mpg-equivalent numbers from the battery pack.

Another factor to consider is the relative costs of electricity vs. gasoline. If electricity goes up and gas goes down, such as by increasing drilling, there is less motivation to buy electric-only vehicles.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
      Another factor to consider is the relative costs of electricity vs. gasoline. If electricity goes up and gas goes down, such as by increasing drilling, there is less motivation to buy electric-only vehicles.

That seems so highly unlikely...
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

VW polo diesel gets 70mpg all day long in the UK.

Electric vehicules are overrated , and need more technology to actually works.

BTW a full charge of a leaf is 12 hours.

Comment

I could definitely use an electric vehicle, I live one mile from work, and live in a small town of about 7000.

However, not a full sized car. A scooter, bike, motorcycle, etc would be awesome.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Electric vehicle emissions

Originally posted by PhoenixSHO View Post
            VW polo diesel gets 70mpg all day long in the UK.
            Diesels barely pass the EPA limits for U.S. emissions standards. A large portion of the price of a diesel are the critical & difficult methods needed to meet the EPA diesel emissions standards. A Prius produces ~10 times less unhealthy emissions than EPA emissions standards. The popularity of diesel autos in Europe contribute significantly to air pollution problems in Europe.

In our Pacific Northwest, electric energy is produced, KW to HP, with 4% of the emissions of internal combustion engines(ICE). Considering that the newest electric motors have efficiencies approaching & surpassing 90%, compared to ICE's efficiency of 25% to 30%, electric vehicle emissions in our Pacific Northwest plummet to 1% to 2% that of ICE.

The above data is critical to the health of inner-city babies, kids, & adults who play, go to school, & work near stop & go clogged freeways. Electric motor emissions plummet to near zero compared to inner-city ICE vehicles. My electric bicycle produces less emissions than a runner in a city, while moving faster.

Comment

electric vehicle costs

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              If electricity goes up and gas goes down, such as by increasing drilling, there is less motivation to buy electric-only vehicles.
              Our Pacific Northwest costs have been stable for decades. The Nissan Leaf goes from town to town(5 to 10 miles apart) for 30 or 40 cents. Go to it ICE. Beat that!

Comment

Originally posted by litesong View Post
                Our Pacific Northwest costs have been stable for decades. The Nissan Leaf goes from town to town(5 to 10 miles apart) for 30 or 40 cents. Go to it ICE. Beat that!
                Yes, Washington state has been blessed with cheap, reliable hydro power for years but that may be changing;

SHOW ME THE MATH George’s Grandson Zach is already a great observer, he’s full of questions, and has not yet developed reasons to ignore the realities of economics and hard science. At two years old;  Zach offers up the Chalk…. “Show Me!” … Continue reading →

Comment

Id rather pay the bill for my festy when it breaks down then when an electric car breaksu down. Wonder how the troubleshooting guide is for them.
                  Ford Fester

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                    I could definitely use an electric vehicle, I live one mile from work, and live in a small town of about 7000.

However, not a full sized car. A scooter, bike, motorcycle, etc would be awesome.
                    I ride my Honda C70 to work regularly (about 15 miles each way) and I get about 115mpg. Plus, I drive right through ASU campus with it and have had college girls jump on for a ride from time to time (about 70 mpg with college girl). And the last time I checked the Honda 70 scooter was considered the most reliable vehicle ever produced (worldwide figure with miles traveled versus cost of operation and repairs) thanks to all my third world riding buddies who have been relying on these bikes for the last 30 years.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      I ride my Honda C70 to work regularly (about 15 miles each way) and I get about 115mpg. Plus, I drive right through ASU campus with it and have had college girls jump on for a ride from time to time (about 70 mpg with college girl). And the last time I checked the Honda 70 scooter was considered the most reliable vehicle ever produced (worldwide figure with miles traveled versus cost of operation and repairs) thanks to all my third world riding buddies who have been relying on these bikes for the last 30 years.
                      115 MPG vs 70.....save more money, give lighter college girls a ride.

Interestingly, on the emissions side, Mythbusters recently did a comparison of emissions between scooters and motorcycles, on the one hand, and modern cars on the other. Cars are far less polluting than the scooters and motorcycles--even the newest ones that have some emissions technology. I'm not a big anti-pollution guy, just thought it was interesting.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I've got one of those newer emission scooters and by no means is it fast but 125 mpg in flip flops and a 70s retro metallic helmet is hard to beat....don't forget the aviators!
                        Ford Fester

Comment

On a side note a prius (or any batt cars) pollutes way more then anything else as shown on top gear uk , the batteries are composed of Nickel , which is drilled in Canada , takes a boat (which pollutes more then any other vehicule) over some place in China , then its transformed (pollution again) then sent in Japan to mount it in the car , then its shipped back in the americas (pollution).

They also pointed that a 300hp M3 gets better millage then a prius (I think it was 18 vs 17 mpg) when the prius is driven a WOT on the circuit and the M3 just follows it.

Just lifting your foot from the pedal will improve your MPG alot better then all that mumbo-jumbo.

I want to see hydrogen cars , not useless electric ones.

Oh and a prius battery will last 5 to 10 years according to battery experts , and costs 7 grand. Thats some savings for ya.

And dont get me started on what cold weather does to a stupid battery.

I might sound harsh , but dont think one second that battery cars will flood the market anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            .....Honda C 70....... about 115mpg...... college girls jump on for a ride from time to time (about 70 mpg with college girl).
                            My numbers were nearly the opposite. My Suzuki would go 115mph & get 75+mpg. The college girls....... they wanted to stay on the Suzuki while ascending 14,000+foot mountains, long after you dropped your coeds off at the dorm. Oh, yeah. With the coed on the back, we also got YOUR 70mpg.

Meanwhile, electric vehicles put out far less pollutants driving through an entire city than either of our bikes could could restrict in 100 yards of riding.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixSHO View Post
                              I want to see hydrogen cars , not useless electric ones.
                              Really, and how do you propose to economically generate hydrogen?

The cheapest methods involve hydrocarbons or coal.

Don't even think of electrolysis of water via solar power, doesn't come close to providing the needed power after 88% of the energy goes to generating oxygen.

Better battery is what will make the difference.
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X