Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouldn't I be getting better then?!
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

All time low for me... 27.6 mpg
      I'm averaging 32.8 for a 5 speed, doesn't sound right.
      Although my Festiva sits a lot and I actually take it out sometimes just to keep things from seizing up.
      Usually take it out on the freeway and wind it up to about 70-75 for a couple miles every week or so. Otherwise I just use it to run errands in town once in awhile.
      Could this be why my mpg is low?

Comment

Just bought my Festiva this weekend and drove it pretty much 100 miles at 60-65mph...hitting 70-75 twice for just a short period of time so see if it could do it...then an additional 10 or so city miles and I was surprised to see I only got 40.9mpg. I was expecting mid to high 40s at the lower highway speeds.

I was rolling with both windows down and the rears popped out. AC was off though.
        -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
        Random Festiva Parts
        Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Diesel ehh...
          Hmmm, Get some money and my friend some time, I think we could see that!
          "Today, no American family can be secure against the danger that one of its children may decide to become an artist"

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

wind resistance is a biggy.
            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by All systemz View Post
              All time low for me... 27.6 mpg
              I'm averaging 32.8 for a 5 speed, doesn't sound right.
              Although my Festiva sits a lot and I actually take it out sometimes just to keep things from seizing up.
              Usually take it out on the freeway and wind it up to about 70-75 for a couple miles every week or so. Otherwise I just use it to run errands in town once in awhile.
              Could this be why my mpg is low?

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/allsys...iva?fu=2954158
              Woah, your average is my all time low. I don't really baby mine either, I actually somewhat rod on it. Not being used though things do tend to "fudge up". I know whenever mine sits for a period of time i usually dip down to 33, then the next tank im back up to 38 or so mixed.
              Mike Holmgren
              Thief Rvr Fls, MN
              1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
              "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

Having driven for extended periods (two years each) in 3 identical 93 Festys (one auto and 2 5 speeds) I can say there is a consistent 5-10% difference in fuel economy in favour of manuals. I can achieve 5.2 litres per 100 km but it requires a very light foot, least revs in every gear and highway speeds in and around 45-50 mph during nice 70 degree weather, over-hard summer tires and thin engine oil, and, people honking their GD horns at me to move along at traffic lights.

Comment

I average about 33-37 when delivering Pizzas. Not bad for hammering it in town and going 75MPH on the highway.

Before I started delivering, I would average38-40 mixed driving. On a roadtrip I got 44-52MPG going 55MPH the whole time. The low tanks were when I idled the engine all night for heat.
                  ~Austin
                  Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Stock and worn out I was getting 31mpg all day everyday mixed. Long trips in a good draft I hit around 40mpg.

All time high stock was my first trip to ohiostiva. Drafting hard off gauge_half_inch with a topper on his roof rack I managed 42.7 for a tank. This was at speeds of 70-80mph. Again, worn rings.

Hammering down on US70 from Madness to Atlantic beach burying the needle behind a jeep I managed 40mpg with the b6. Wind resistance makes a huge difference. The rest of that trip I only managed 36-37 mpgs.

As I sit now I get 32-34mpg having a lot of unnecessary fun and 36 if I'm easier on it mixed driving.

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk.
                    91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
                    92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
                    95 Grand Prix SE DD
                    Wife's Stuff:
                    89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
                    97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
                    Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

I have a 91 5spd and a 92 5spd, both without AC. I alternate between them depending on which color I am feeling that day. Both are high mileage, over 170k. I drive a lot on the level at 55 with a lot of stop and go mixed in. I have a light right foot. I consistently get 43mpg with both cars. I also have a stock 1.2 liter Harley Sportster that has 66hp and 72fptork, and weighs 500#, and gets about 55mpg. I thought the similarities in the engine sizes and output was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                        I have a 91 5spd and a 92 5spd, both without AC. I alternate between them depending on which color I am feeling that day. Both are high mileage, over 170k. I drive a lot on the level at 55 with a lot of stop and go mixed in. I have a light right foot. I consistently get 43mpg with both cars. I also have a stock 1.2 liter Harley Sportster that has 66hp and 72fptork, and weighs 500#, and gets about 55mpg. I thought the similarities in the engine sizes and output was interesting.
                        You'd want to be a big man to equal the wind resistance of a Festy while piloting a bike at 60 mph. I don't think Harleys are reknowned for fuel economy nor aerodynamics, anyway.

Comment

I get 40-45mpg, in the winter anyway. and I'm a teenage boy so I always drive very sensibly... Stock B3 and 5spd. 155-80-12 tires. Country driving usually averaging 50-55 but lots of hills and turns. 167k miles.
                          Owner of:
                          1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                          In progress:
                          BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by All systemz View Post
                            In 5th gear the car just goes effortlessly.
                            You live in one of the densest regions selling 100% pure(ethanol-free) gasoline(4 stations in Sheboygan, WI). Do you use 100% pure gasoline, instead of 10% ethanol blends? Along with higher mpg & smoother operation, extra low end torque occurs with 100% pure gasoline, which allows less downshifting while ascending hills.

Comment

Working...
                            X