Thinking about installing tach cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about installing tach cluster

Hey guys, I didn't know where to post this so figured general was a good place. Also I'm terrible with the search so I might have missed something. Tomorrow is my day off, I'm thinking of installing my tach cluster I bought about a week ago. It's going in my '89 and is orange faced. What are some things I need to know before I start this? I'm not to worried about anything other than the Tach side of things. Will I be able to just simply plug it in, or what needs to be done?
    Thanks in advance, Mike
    Mike Holmgren
    Thief Rvr Fls, MN
    1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
    "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Your going to have to reroute the speedo cable down around on the other side of what I think is the steering column support if I can remember right so it will plug into the tach cluster and everything else you should be able to just plug in and be golden. Also I'm not sure about the 88s and 89s if they have the wire for the tach in the plug or not, someone else should know.
    Last edited by JoDan; 12-26-2011, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I took a black cluster plug off an 88, and it didn't have the wire in it for the tach.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

LX has the tach. My '88's got one.
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

So if it does turn out that I need to run a wire for tach, uhhhhh, how? lol
          Thanks, Mike
          Mike Holmgren
          Thief Rvr Fls, MN
          "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

yours is an 89, it very well should have the wire for the tach, all you have to do is take the speedo cable off the tranny to be able to pull the cluster out further. then once the cluster is out, take the cable and push it into the dash, and reroute it around the big bracket there like Jordan was saying, then just plug everything in and enjoy!
            -Josh R

Comment

That would be very awsome if it does. I can work on dang near anything, but add electronics and ahhhhh lol.
              Thanks for everything guys!
              Mike
              Mike Holmgren
              Thief Rvr Fls, MN

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                LX has the tach. My '88's got one.
                Thanks, good to know. The 88 I pulled the cluster plugs off of was an L model.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If yours doesn't have the plug for the tach you would just need to splice into the negative side of the coil which is a yellow/green wire iirc and run it into the plug.

Comment

Say what is the easiest way to take the speedo cable from the tranny?
                    Mike Holmgren
                    Thief Rvr Fls, MN

Comment

unscrew the cable from the gear assembly (at the trans) with a 19mm short wrench and gently pull up, then gently pull the cluster out till you can detach the cable from the cluster. then push the cable back through the center of the column support and push it to the center of the car and pull back through to reattach to the new cluster. reinstall the rest and your done.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

One more question, I have the speedo cable undone, but I can't get it to go all the way through the column support. Am I missing something? lol
                        Thanks, Mike
                        Mike Holmgren
                        Thief Rvr Fls, MN

Comment

Don't worry about getting it through the firewall. From inside the vehicle reach into the dash and push it forward a much as possible. It needs to back through the structure and come out toward the passenger side to the cluster.
                          It's a good time to lube the cable also.

Comment

Yeah I can't get it pushed back far enough to pull it through the support. I have made up so many word combinations and it still won't go. Lol
                            Mike Holmgren
                            Thief Rvr Fls, MN

Comment

Yeah I don't think it goes all the way, just have to bend it around alittle if I remember right. Just don't bend it to much lol.
                              -Josh R

Comment

Working...
                              X