Thinking about installing tach cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2xclutchin View Post
    Yeah I can't get it pushed back far enough to pull it through the support. I have made up so many word combinations and it still won't go. Lol
    ok, you have to go to the fire wall hole inside the cabin and push the 2 tabs on the retainer in to get the cable to move back. the cable is held in the center of the fire wall hole by a plastic retainer, i suggest a strong flashlight and flexabe hands for this lol. i was careful with a thin flat tip screwdriver on the engine side of the fire wall and pushed the tabs from that end.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Well I got the speedo cable through, still spins so that's a plus . Havnt got everything finished yet so still don't know if I did it right. Just came in to warm up some.
      Thanks, Mike
      Mike Holmgren
      Thief Rvr Fls, MN
      1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
      "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

It's in, and better yet it works!! Thanks everyone, I'd probably still be cursing at it if I hadn't had your help! I wasn't able to get pics cause it's dark and my phone sucks though.
        Thanks again,Mike
        Mike Holmgren
        Thief Rvr Fls, MN
        "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

Stand on the passenger side and reach along the firewall behind the engine and give the thing a twist with your hand. If it wont budge, use a channel locks. Lift it straight out. The hard part is to get the grommet out of the firewall without breaking the tabs. When I did the swap, the cable did not want slide through the grommet so I had to pop out the grommet, then slide the cable through the firewall. Once the cable is free, the cluster pulls right out to the steering wheel. Pop the 2 plugs and the speedo cable and put in the new one. Dont forget the reroute the speedo cable as mentioned in previous posts. Should only take about 20 minutes to do the swap.

Comment

Well it took longer, but we took a lot of breaks due to the cold lol. I took some show off pics but I don't know how to post them. Haha. Thanks, Mike
            Mike Holmgren
            Thief Rvr Fls, MN

Comment

so it was a plug and play deal?

Comment

Yup, hardest part of the whole deal was moving the speedometer cable over. All went well though.
                Mike Holmgren
                Thief Rvr Fls, MN

Comment

Originally posted by 2xclutchin View Post
                  Yup, hardest part of the whole deal was moving the speedometer cable over. All went well though.
                  Very cool....glad it worked
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by 90fomoco View Post
                    Stand on the passenger side and reach along the firewall behind the engine and give the thing a twist with your hand. If it wont budge, use a channel locks. Lift it straight out. The hard part is to get the grommet out of the firewall without breaking the tabs. When I did the swap, the cable did not want slide through the grommet so I had to pop out the grommet, then slide the cable through the firewall. Once the cable is free, the cluster pulls right out to the steering wheel. Pop the 2 plugs and the speedo cable and put in the new one. Dont forget the reroute the speedo cable as mentioned in previous posts. Should only take about 20 minutes to do the swap.
                    No need to remove the grommet when doing a speedo swap....only if you need to replace the cable
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                      Very cool....glad it worked
                      Yup worked great Thanks again!! It was awsome having a project that gave instant gratification. Oh and a headlight buzzer!!!!! lol No I didn't have to remove that grommet either. I'm 6'6" 300lbs so I had my 100lb 5' tall buddy look from underneath the dash, he was able to see what I couldn't .
                      Thanks, Mike
                      Mike Holmgren
                      Thief Rvr Fls, MN

Comment

Working...
                      X