89 carbed only 26 mpg???!!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 carbed only 26 mpg???!!?!?!

Ok just started driving my festiva and filled up and only got 260 miles on one tank going to huntville and back soild driving no lights 60 mph what's wrong wit it all the people get around 45
    89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

You used all 10 gallons? The tank is a 10 gallon tank, I doubt you used all of the gas. You probably used about 7 or 8 gallons and got mid 30's mpg.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Naw I let it spit POP and quit before I put has in it I had a 5 gallon in can ready for it to yet accurate mpg
      89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

Comment

there is no way to use 10 gallons in a festiva tank without modification. best I've ever done was 8.66 and I ran it out of gas... even with that I was getting 26-28 with my 89L There are issues with the engine though...
        89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
        2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
        1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

?? When is the last time it was tuned, feedback carb checked, wheel bearings,brakes and tires checked, is it auto, what oil and lubes are being used, roof rack and topper?
          Clear gas or the gov mandated stuff. Was it just you or did you pack it full lead shot for a gunshow in huntsville ?
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yea I was pretty sure they had a 8-8.5 gallon tank.

Comment

Fresh tune up carb rebuild new plugs wires cap rotor button coil tires oil

Comment

see, there's the problem, someone touched the carb.... they're never right afterward. and if the carb IS right, it's periferals are not working, like the ABC valve which controls the a/f ratio, and it can only do it's job if the o2 sensor is working as well as the ECU.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Even if you ran it out you still won't know an accurate reading without filling it back up to see just how many gallons you truly used.
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                    Even if you ran it out you still won't know an accurate reading without filling it back up to see just how many gallons you truly used.
                    Exactly. That is the only way to get an accurate calculation. I don't know how the pick up is on the carb Festivas but when mine starts bucking and sputtering, I put in about 8.5 gallons. When I took the fuel pump out, I didn't notice any baffling, so that may be a reason you can't use all 10 gallons. So just guessing you may be getting closer to low 30's. Have you checked your speedo with a GPS? With the 12" tires mine was reading slower than I was going which would, contribute to a slightly lower mpg calculation. I literally floor mine leaving every traffic light and I get 40 mpg most of the time.
                    Last edited by Eaglefreek; 12-27-2011, 10:51 PM.
                    Rick
                    1993 Ford Festiva
                    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      see, there's the problem, someone touched the carb.... they're never right afterward. and if the carb IS right, it's periferals are not working, like the ABC valve which controls the a/f ratio, and it can only do it's job if the o2 sensor is working as well as the ECU.

Ha we didn't even get to the part about restricted cat and cam timing
                      Good thing these are such simple cars..

Comment

Well don't have to worry about a restricted cat cause there ain't one lmao straight pipe

Comment

I put in 9.6 gallons in my festy on my way to fm5.
                          Ford Fester

Comment

It looks like you are down to rolling resistance or fuel controls messed up. Maybe both to get that low.It should start fouling plugs if its all fuel. Hopefully if you drive it more it will prove out to be math, keep a log on it for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
                              there is no way to use 10 gallons in a festiva tank without modification. best I've ever done was 8.66 and I ran it out of gas... even with that I was getting 26-28 with my 89L There are issues with the engine though...
                              I have filled mine to over 10 gallons several times.
                              Of course, I fill my to the top of the fill tub every time for MPG purposes

Originally posted by JoDan View Post
                              Yea I was pretty sure they had a 8-8.5 gallon tank.
                              1992 Ford Service Manual on back cover under refill capacity says 10 gallons.
                              Though I beleive the Haynes manual references 9.9 gallons.
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X