How to choose a junkyard tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to choose a junkyard tranny?

Since my tranny is about to blow up I need a replacement one and the junkyard has two capri xr2's both complete. One has 113k and the other 150k. The most obvious choice would the 113k but the cars are there for a reason. They both shift into all gears but the 113k one is really loose before going into gear (probably linkage).

Any tips or tricks for choosing a tranny at the JY?
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

drain the fluid into a clear container and inspect for metal shavings/bits of synchros.

I'd also look to see what the rest of the car's fluids look like, brake pads, and other maintenance items. if the car looks well maintained, chances are it was not beat on.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

^ most yards drain all fluids prior to putting out for picking im pretty sure but great idea id still try it
      93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
      RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
      RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

All buy one of the sets of axles and the intermediate shaft if your interested in making a little money.
        The Festiva Store
        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Oil was good idea maybe there will be drippings inside. I will make sure to check out maintenance parts.

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
          All buy one of the sets of axles and the intermediate shaft if your interested in making a little money.
          I would but I don't even have the money for the tranny yet
          91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
          14 C7 Z51

Comment

For a manual? I would look to see if it was wrecked first. A wrecked car was a running car.....

After that, look for signs of good maintenance. All else fails, the loose shift linkage COULD be the decider....
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by skimsucka View Post
              ^ most yards drain all fluids prior to putting out for picking im pretty sure but great idea id still try it

a lot of places miss the gear oil because they don't hire the most "astute" workers.
              89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
              94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
              2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
              1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Working...
              X