Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between a Festy 5-spd & an Aspire one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
    Remember this too Larry, in the future you don't have to overthink things like this, that's what you have guys like us for ;-)
    Ahh, see I'm not a FWD guy. I've never heard the term "final drive" before.

If someone said "final drive = rear end gear" I would have known.

So if the Festy is 3.77:1 and the Aspire is 4.08:1 (or whatever they were), the only way the speedo reads right is to use the Aspire wheels. If you just do a tranny swap, and use the stock 155/80/12, the speedo would read wrong, right? Or does it read off the final drive?

DOH!!! Didn't read down far enough!!
    Last edited by Larry Hampton; 01-30-2012, 08:33 AM.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Run the speedo gear that came in the Aspire tranny.

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
      Pardon me for getting this possibly mixed up, are you saying that 5th is lower numerically on the Aspire that the Festy? Like .76:1 vs .82:1

It would seem to me that if the Aspire tires are taller, then the speedo would be off. In otherwords, maybe the speedo itself is different.
      Yes Larry you are right. Just make sure you switch over to the Aspire speedo gear.Then you'll be very close.I'm running the Festy Tranny in my Aspire.
      With 175/70r13's which is one size up from stock. @ 65mph indicated, I'm doing 65mph actual.
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

The fifth gears are the same as well as the speedo gears. The change happens as a result of one diff carrier (aspire) spinning slightly faster than the other one in relationship to RPMS. The aspire diff turns/rotates more times per mile than a festy diff did IF the tires you used were the same diameter in both cases...but alas, the aspire tires are slightly larger and rotate fewer times per mile, while festy tires are slightly smaller and rotate furiously per mile.
        I think you're visualizing it now.

Check out this 1010 tire calculator, I use it all the time to compare rim/tire/diameters all the time. You can do 5 at a time!
        97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
        CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
        Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
          Yes Larry you are right. Just make sure you switch over to the Aspire speedo gear.Then you'll be very close.I'm running the Festy Tranny in my Aspire.
          With 175/70r13's which is one size up from stock. @ 65mph indicated, I'm doing 65mph actual.
          Nitro, are you still wanting that quarter in behind the passenger door?

I lost the pic, email me a taped off are photo to larryhampton1967@att.net and I'll return the same off my parts car.
          1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
          1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
          1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
          2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Occhty View Post
            Maybe that's a mistake, anywho, go here and see

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...t=40587&page=2
            Not a mistake - festiva mount is taller so it would raise that corner of the engine, which seems to be OK if you have the stock engine. If you have BP you might not have enough room on the alternator side so you will need to drill a hole to prevent engine lifting.
            rusEfi - DIY ECU
            93 EFI: tach cluster, aspire mirrors & spindles. ZX2 master cylinder, BP+G25 swap with a door hinge, rio struts. 205/50r15, 140mph speedometer,rear disk brakes, mini cooper + subaru front brakes rear sway bar

Comment

I'm good thanks

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
              Nitro, are you still wanting that quarter in behind the passenger door?

I lost the pic, email me a taped off are photo to larryhampton1967@att.net and I'll return the same off my parts car.
              Larry i bought Mckabes car. I'm cutting it up as we speak. Thanks though :p

Comment

Gottcha

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                The fifth gears are the same as well as the speedo gears. The change happens as a result of one diff carrier (aspire) spinning slightly faster than the other one in relationship to RPMS. The aspire diff turns/rotates more times per mile than a festy diff did IF the tires you used were the same diameter in both cases...but alas, the aspire tires are slightly larger and rotate fewer times per mile, while festy tires are slightly smaller and rotate furiously per mile.
                I think you're visualizing it now.

Check out this 1010 tire calculator, I use it all the time to compare rim/tire/diameters all the time. You can do 5 at a time!
                http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
                So they compinsated for final drive differnce with tire size. Thanks DUDE

Comment

Working...
                X