Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What products/methods do you use to clean carbon buildup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What products/methods do you use to clean carbon buildup?

I've spent over 9 hours of SOLID scrubbing time, NO BREAKS, just scrubbing on my 1.8 head. after 2 bottles of Dawn Power Dissolver, the head is just about clean enough for me, the topside is shiny but the intake and exhaust passages still have some carbon buildup.

I don't have access to any more Dawn Power Dissolver, I have been checking BOTH walmarts within 30 miles of me for the last 2 weeks, and they haven't restocked, I have asked them about the product and nobody knows what is going on with it. There's still a spot on the shelf, but no product.

What do you guys use? I've been hitting it with a toothbrush around sensitive areas, and a small brass wire brush in other places. I've spent 20-30$ on other cleaning supplies that are labeled safe for aluminum, but nothing is helping.

/e and I still need to get the carbon off the valves, so what's the best way to go about that? I thought I had a brass wire brush bit for my die grinder but I don't, I'll buy anything as long as it's guranteed to work so let me know.
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Get it hot tanked?
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Can you hot tank aluminum?

I dunno, the cost probably isn't worth it. it's almost clean, there HAS to be a way for me to do it myself.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

CLR?

or try boiling it in vinegar
        89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
        2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
        1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I don't have a big enough pan to put the head in, and that would be ALOT of vinegar lol.. something realistic..?

I checked CLR, and the bottle said not to use it on aluminum
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

loctite makes a degreaser for aluminum
            Here it is.... 12 cans though :p
            Last edited by Charlie1717; 02-16-2012, 09:40 PM.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Why are you so worried about cleaning the carbon off the valves?

Just curious, cuz it's gonna be right there again within a few hundred miles of using the engine... Seems like alot of wasted effort.

Unless you're cleaning the valve seats... in which case, I've usually been pretty successful with using an old valve with sand paper glued to it, and the end stuck in a power drill. You can't pull hard enough on it to damage anything, because the drill chuck will let it slip out.

Comment

put your head in an oven and bring it up to ~ 250*, then hose the needed areas down with carb clean. the carbon will boil loose.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
                  loctite makes a degreaser for aluminum
                  Here it is.... 12 cans though :p
                  http://www.amazon.com/LOCTITE-22355-.../dp/B001YYFQNM
                  I can get the dawn power dissolver online, but I was hoping for something I could go buy tomorrow and get this done on my last day off for 7 days. lol, I really want to get this engine done and I've still got ALOT of work left on it..and I don't know how long it will take to get the head milled.

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  put your head in an oven and bring it up to ~ 250*, then hose the needed areas down with carb clean. the carbon will boil loose.
                  There's an idea.. thx
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Zep gasket remover
                    Online, race or professional shops
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                      I can get the dawn power dissolver online, but I was hoping for something I could go buy tomorrow and get this done on my last day off for 7 days. lol, I really want to get this engine done and I've still got ALOT of work left on it..and I don't know how long it will take to get the head milled.

There's an idea.. thx
                      I should have said you can buy it in stores. We sell it at Fastenal, your local fastenal may have it in stock.
                      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
                        I should have said you can buy it in stores. We sell it at Fastenal, your local fastenal may have it in stock.
                        lol alright, I think there's a fastenal store a couple towns over from me in Reno Oh, I've never seen that before in a store, so I didn't know where to get it. I've been meaning to stop in there anyway, jsut never had a chance.

The baking and carb cleaner worked for most of the stuff that was left, I started lapping the valves but I need to figure out how to do that right.. I'd still like to clean the little bits that's left off but it's not on the top of my list of things to do right now. I just want this thing ready to be taken in for the machine work so I can put it back together and get to work on the block.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                          lol alright, I think there's a fastenal store a couple towns over from me in Reno Oh, I've never seen that before in a store, so I didn't know where to get it. I've been meaning to stop in there anyway, jsut never had a chance.

The baking and carb cleaner worked for most of the stuff that was left, I started lapping the valves but I need to figure out how to do that right.. I'd still like to clean the little bits that's left off but it's not on the top of my list of things to do right now. I just want this thing ready to be taken in for the machine work so I can put it back together and get to work on the block.
                          If you are taking head in for machine work,why not have them hot tank it for you? jus thinkinoutloud
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I don't know how much it would cost, and I have this thing about letting other people have all the fun.. if I can't get these valves to seal I'll probably cave and see what they'd charge to do it, and a valve job. >.<
                            Last edited by zoom zoom; 02-17-2012, 12:44 AM.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Here's what I've been doing.. I just hand lapped my first cylinder's worth of valves, and after 3 tries, the water is still holding 30 minutes later!

2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                              X