No announcement yet.

Suzuki G10 1L Miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fujioko - You drove two of the most underpowered diesels on the planet, Sir.

I have a 1.6L diesel Golf, and I agree, it needs boost. Stock, they came with something like 48-60 HP. The turbo diesels (IDI) came with 70ish or 92, depending on whether it was the ECO-D or just a Turbo IDI. Also, the VW diesels can handle upward of 200HP and still manage the same fuel economy. You just use less pedal.

The Mercedes, I don't know much about, but if it wasn't the 5 cylinder, it was dead in the.. well, the Mercedes. Especially with a slush-box trans.

Comment

What I do like and appreciate is that not everyone is glued to their I-pods and electronic 'pacemakers' and other assorted junk thinking they have all the answers to everyone's problems merely by hitting some keys.
      All the best to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
        You have a little of every thing in the thread I would place it as general
        but I'm just a nube around here. If this turns into computer stuff we should have a repair NA conversion thread..Here is a little festy stuff.
        do you need the miata pin out ?
        Hi 'ya Movin,

Thanks for the pictures!

I have a good Miata wiring schematic ... I was stumped why the festiva schematic showed two dedicated lines to the TPS. The Miata has one dedicated line and a common reference plus a common ground.

Typically a TPS is just a variable resistor. I suspect the Festiva has some electronics inside the TPS. I cant imagination the ECM only looks for idle and WOT. My DVM confirms only idle and WOT but that is truly a bizarre way to run a railroad.

Anyway the miata also has an extra wire for "on idle" I was planing on abandoning this wire by tucking it in the harness unused.

I'm going to run the two dedicated wires with no common reference and let the ECM sort it out.

I think I have everything I need to move forward. Thanks!

Jim

Comment

Yes , typically they are, or they may have a idle position switch added,
          but this critter talks a little different. You have the right stuff on both ends though!
          Because of this the other fuel calculating inputs are really important, The logic reacts
          to these more than normal.

I think you do too, awesome work, I love projects like this!
          Last edited by Movin; 03-10-2012, 09:59 PM.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
            Fujioko - You drove two of the most underpowered diesels on the planet, Sir.

I have a 1.6L diesel Golf, and I agree, it needs boost. Stock, they came with something like 48-60 HP. The turbo diesels (IDI) came with 70ish or 92, depending on whether it was the ECO-D or just a Turbo IDI. Also, the VW diesels can handle upward of 200HP and still manage the same fuel economy. You just use less pedal.

The Mercedes, I don't know much about, but if it wasn't the 5 cylinder, it was dead in the.. well, the Mercedes. Especially with a slush-box trans.
            The Mercedes was a ’78 240D four cylinder. Just thinking about that car raises my blood pressure. Driving it was like trying to get an elephant to move by whipping it with a wet noodle. The accelerator only seemed to annoy the engine. The thing I don’t get is somebody at Mercedes thought a 60hp 3500 pound car was a great idea….. then somebody thought an automatic transmission would make it better.

I was excited to get a Mercedes for free! And was delighted to give it away for free..

Anyway that car is long gone. I’ll bet whoever got it gave it away a week latter.

Jim

Comment

That exact engine sits on a pallet in my barn. Because I can't find anything more useful than a tractor for it. :/

Great analogies!

Comment

Originally posted by fujioko View Post
                Hi 'ya folks,

The G10 and B3 Miatas are my projects. I was really surprised to find this post.

Anyway, I'm going full speed on the B3 project and I have reached the point where I'm doing the ECM wiring.
                Jim
                Greetings Jim.

Your write ups are an excellent source of info for me. I'm planning (or dreaming of) a G10 swap into my Samurai. I'd have to duplicate your oil pan and brilliant/funky belt drive dizzy.

Knowing that Miata CAS coil packs can be fitted to a Festiva B3 is very interesting, too.
                '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Hi 'ya Bigelcat,

The G10 should be fit the sammy just fine.

The Miata CAS and coil packs will work on a Festiva engine with a simple circuit board. Might be a nice upgrade for a stock Festive.

The circuit board uses five transistors and a handful or resistors. Everything is available at radioshack. I'll publish the board schematic. in a week or so.

I have to double check but I'm pretty sure the guts of the Miata CAS can be swapped into the B3 dizzy. The steel CAS cover looks like it will replace the distributor cap.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by fujioko View Post
                    Hi 'ya Bigelcat,

The G10 should be fit the sammy just fine.

The Miata CAS and coil packs will work on a Festiva engine with a simple circuit board. Might be a nice upgrade for a stock Festive.

The circuit board uses five transistors and a handful or resistors. Everything is available at radioshack. I'll publish the board schematic. in a week or so.

I have to double check but I'm pretty sure the guts of the Miata CAS can be swapped into the B3 dizzy. The steel CAS cover looks like it will replace the distributor cap.

Jim
                    How are you replacing the mechanical/vacuum timing advance & retard then? The dizzy does more than just offer a static timing signal, and the Festy ECU does not curve it, it's all mechanical, IIRC.

The Miata controls the timing curve electronically.
                    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                    High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                    Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Festiva has an electronic timing advance, not vacuum like a Capri.
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                        Festiva has an electronic timing advance, not vacuum like a Capri.
                        Didn't know that, thank you
                        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Working...
                        X