Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

180,000 miles major minor maintenance blues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
    Druggie ? Why would you say something like that? I gather he's on them for chronic pain. Not recreation. Or am I reading you wrong? 30 pills a month = @ 1 daily......
    I was refering to the one or two expressos.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
      I was refering to the one or two expressos.
      Cool Beanz
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

The mpg issue which seems to never die! Etc.

Originally posted by koRnhead View Post
        You only get 35 on the hi-way??!! Wow I would be pissed.
        This one!

There is an earlier dialogue on the subject in the files of the website; which lines up with opinions firmly contrary to each other: Anyone IMHO with some sense, not addicted to bragging rights about nonsensical, unbelievable mileage figures with 12" rims can understand.

One person a contributor to that thread, with apparent depth of information resources and some degree of mental penetration; commented about the bean counters of Ford in Korea, actually KIA, cheaping out and saving a few cents, by putting the stock 12" rims on a car designed for 13" rims; the speedometer/odometer obviously confirms.

Since the 13" rims are such a standard item on so many other vehicles; I'm tempted to wonder if the appearance of the 12" ones on Festivas may've even been a psychological ploy, with seemingly beyond belief fantastic gas mileage? To as well perhaps intimate subtly the car's smaller size, for purchasers really wanting something smallest and most economical. Which in the market in the United States would seem dramatic, for a car elsewhere far more a commonly enough standard size; particularly in the Asian markets where the vehicle comes from originally.

My 35mpg is at 70-75 mph/plus in moderately heavy to dense fast-moving freeway traffic with 155R-13 tires, those running about 40-42#in the front air pressure & slightly less in the rear. 40# in front 38# rear without a load or passengers; my best compromise between economy, ride & handling. With a long, slow grade of a dozen or more miles where winters will often find snow on top, between here and Mount Vernon, WA thirty miles to the south; and a shorter steeper one closer to Seattle. That is great Festiva mileage at 180,000 miles, no doubt; without any additions to the stock car other than the afore mentioned wheels & tires, other than running a straight pipe with only the resonator past the catalytic converter.(done at a shop Allied Muffler on Gilman in Berkeley which specializes in exhaust systems, as well as brakes & struts/shocks; with all receipts from them, so I assume reasonably legal) Loafing along around 60 mph the mileage improves accordingly; always above 42 mpg while the elusive 43-45 mpg is pretty rare. Never worse than 27 mpg, around town, if 30 mpg or better often at that; making me feel I'm more relaxed, not working out my tensions by making some noise while playing at being a go-kart a little.

With my learned in youth, highway and also elsewhere habits of "defensive driving" popular amongst people studied drivers during the 1960s, to avoid getting into densest traffic if possible; I'm aware this isn't always the most economical in gas mileage technique, compared to styles of driving specifically to save fuel, I will favor at times when I think to. I always try to enter traffic from an on-ramp going faster if possible, than the flow I'm entering; so will spend fuel getting up to speed that way, more than if I were hyper-miling. Which with not a whole lot of acceleration at my command, makes me feel a lot more secure. When I drive as if in a formula one race car; I am barely keeping up with the rest of reality, often enough. Most of you with B3s doubtless know the feeling; and I'm imagining of those nearly all also enjoy the role; a little like Jack with the giant, Festivas our beanstalks I guess?

People running 12" rims are obviously going to register on the odometer, fantastically better gas mileage than me; though their distance between fill-ups I doubt is any more, if not less for various reasons. Plus, as mentioned the car is built for 13" rims, with the size tires I use that are also the best size tires for gas mileage since the narrowest. The speedometer and odometer are accurate depending upon which brand of tire, to about 1.02 or 1.03 less than reality...what I multiply by when figuring my gas mileage figures. Calibrations I've devised and constantly recheck; from use of roadside speed indicators on various highways, and/or the mileage odometer check points very standard on freeways of five miles distance, with each mile noted.

I haven't bothered since not relevant to my needs; but, someone better with math could figure out what 12" rims & tires, distort true gas mileage figures to? Though I'd guess now if anyone is paying attention; there'll be some howling from the 12" crowd, that I'm out of my mind?

I know when I first had the car I got very high gas mileage figures. But, on the freeway keeping up with heavy traffic which was a mortal necessity; not only did the cars all seem to be flying along at far above the speed limit, way past the normal fudging which was enough to be terrifying in my spritely conveyance amongst the dominant behemoths; there was also the hugely disconcerting phenomena, of every time I glanced down at the speedometer or away from the road in any other way, just an instant; when I looked back, I could easily be well into an off course move, towards an adjoining lane.

Then I lived in rural Humboldt county, if at the urban hub of that Eureka, CA, so the forays infrequently to the bay area and lots of dense, fast-moving heavy traffic were infrequent enough: So that I started using the old noggin long before I knew of Ford Festiva DOT com. Which led to having someone in an used tire and wheel store in nearby Arcata, CA use, what still amazes me as a resource, their published by someone, somewhere, I wish I could tell folks whom; cross referenced by models of cars, which bolt pattern wheels from which cars would fit each other: With good line drawings of each rim, so a person could imagine what might look perhaps most stylish.

The very helpful and friendly man who runs John's Wrecking and Used Cars in Eureka, also knew much of this sort of thing off the top of his head. Someone I remember comparing to the point I even mentioned this to him along with the sad enough details; with the late "DJ" I believe was founder of the FFdotCOM website, who died suddenly very unexpectedly in his mid forties April 17th, 2007 when I was amidst pulling parts off a '97 Aspire at John's; that was a shocker when I was paying close attention to the website, enough I'm trusting I have the date accurate if perhaps a few days off.

Soon, back in 2001 or maybe even a year earlier, I had a set of four '87 Mazda 323 13" rims which cost $40 for the set, from a Mazda specific wrecking yard near Sacramento, CA their lower cost allowing me to rationalize a long road trip for the fun of that; I then had powder-coat painted the purplish-pink color for $125, I think compliments well the Festiva's turquoise/aqua. I've seen a similar car at the FFdotCOM website; and also a silver four-door '80s or '90s looking Nissan here in Bellingham, with those same color painted rims.

With addition of the Festiva Motor Sports racing/lowering springs in the rear(either to substitute for some really crappy rubber-band like original rear springs which is my theory and/or worn ones that since an Alaska car which came to me at 85,000 miles with four studded-snow tires on spare rims; could be feasible) along with good KYB struts on all four corners, though the ones the car came with still had life on one end if shot on the other, that no doubt also made for the initial bad handling; recreated my car into the worthy roadster, I've since come to know and trust-as a saxophone/flute/clarinet level perhaps, inanimate yet obviously human more than anything else, close for the kind-sort of friend/appendage.

While having to ponder about "conveyance" in society of oneself on all levels; with a deep need to feel balanced between what one leaves the womb with and the longest of one's evolutions' meanderings of that, and the rest of what are far from common place accessories say short of a bowl and spoon, or a pair of glasses if one gets lucky; and even a reed flute, if a chance at exceptional "cool." Particularly as with everyone else, my constant caring for and modifications of that most essential of vehicles, which come in endlessly and unique variety; composed of lots and lots of water, various sorts of skin, flesh and bones, the hunt for and/or cultivating of nutrients helps to sustain, amidst whatever patterns of use might seem appropriate.

Compounding with various sorts of literacy, even the "simple" spoken word which can seem far too submerged in practice; that is akin to what seeking a wrench, failing to fall to hand on my back beneath a dirty greasy car or whatever, an enraged guttural roar suffices as excellent for alerting the subconscious, to again notice the location of without looking, in an instant; cursing a blue streak is just as handy with, while a little more studied and erudite. The latter, perhaps a good lesson often; about the polarities involved imaging "heaven" & "hell" on some of their most basic, yet involved and evolvable levels?

I like a close friend's mention of herself; she "curses like a sailor," no?
        Last edited by bobstad; 05-14-2012, 02:48 PM.
        '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Be careful what you ask for.

Comment

Now, that seems obscure?

Be careful what you ask for.
            Is this Santa Claus? Or arenaceously speaking; "Sandy Claws?"

Post Script: I've changed from over a decade's use of the darkest grind beans, to those more mellow brownish colored, for espressos.

I still drinking like them now which I think the higher caffeine content beans of the past were lately making me get headaches from, so find the switch a worthy one; with the nice little stainless steel $14 backpack maker bought long ago from an Eureka, CA outdoor outfitter's store specializing in wilderness yuppie style stuff, good for at home or in the car with a little white gas stove.

I've read that when consumed within twenty minutes from brewing, any coffee contains health-giving alkaloids. I like that espresso isn't acidic and kind to the stomach. I've had some several pot a day friends, drinking the normal stuff; which makes me think they are probably often borderline insane. Probably only more physically active, with far heavier work loads and responsibilities.

People who don't drink coffee, tea or any such stimulants at all have my hearty admiration and envy even. Must be a scam, no?

Post, post script: Hey, what if the website designations of status were based upon number of total words contributed, rather than number of posts? And, whatever happened to "lurker" which seemed very cool, back in the day?
            Last edited by bobstad; 05-14-2012, 06:33 PM.

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

The clutch issue?

I would leave the motor in the bay since it is mostly only ancillary stuff that needs to be replaced. Wait until the clutch is wasted before replacement. Pressure wash first to make repairs tolerable.
              I've adjusted the clutch twice now; and always attempt to drive with a real feather foot. The throw-out bearing has long been seemingly audible, say at least for more than 40,000 miles; which very late at night just hours before daybreak with no cars on the road, the last few blocks of residential streets as the Festiva and me get ready to rest from a long drive when finally near home again, is when that throw-out bearing really can sound loud and threatening.

With all the hassles of changing the clutch, with 180,000 miles now on the car of which I've contributed the past 100,000; doing the clutch, pressure-plate, throw-out bearing and any engine or transmission seals exposed in the process, when I have the option of choosing the time and place rather than waiting to be caught in the worst of feasible lurches the car could throw at me other than a collision or similar: In say about the next 200,000 miles or more, once past doing the clutch and associated components as well as the rest of the current major minor maintenance chores described in this thread; easy to think is only someone designing against me, seems likely to seriously suggest I await the inevitable, with just a sort of subconscious will towards control of my own luck. That is making far too much sport of my life as entertainment for right-wing reactionaries, the way I look at existence; and my personal worth.

I hate the sensation of feeling always at the mercy of a vehicle less than a hundred percent reliable, the reality since the first car I ever owned; which makes me undertake life differently than were I more confident. Unlike say Alexander the Great's hundred companions all going to battle as foremost amongst his lovers; I have to feel as if instead always employing unreliable mercenaries, even when amongst the best of combatants. Simply since the relationship between us isn't as well realized or formulated, yet.

The stupid '66 VW "square-back" sedan I was saddled with a dozen years from '82-'94; which created of me whatever sort of mechanic I am, so not all negativity in some senses if also bludgeoning the soul often; was one long litany of difficult, tedious tasks keeping that on the road and working, reliably enough.

Even so, I was the envy of at least one friend Greg Getty, a well known indigent bay area activist and poor people's spokesperson, who drove what has to of been or maybe still remains; one of the crappiest '59 Karmen Ghias ever to provide daily service, which when we'd lived together more or less, he'd had the motor out of two or three times a week to keep the thing going. Greg then survived on a San Francisco Chronicle paper route he earned about $400 monthly from; he did every day at four in the morning, logic tells a person he may still be at now-starting to get close to a couple decades later. Someone many felt, I'm one of; the words "stalwart" and "friend" could've been invented for.

With my back problems from spinal disease; these sorts of chores can be mind-bogglingly odious someone like Greg never flinched from, he could accomplish with relative ease: While also mind-blown himself at what a really well maintained VW could be like, he'd suddenly taken in when I towed his Ghia once on the freeway from Pittsburg, CA to Concord, CA.

A good motorcycle mechanic Paul Hoover of Hoover Motorcycle Service in Chatsworth, CA who had earlier helped me with a 350cc bike I'd had; once approved my prowess after a rebuild, including overhauling both the Solex carbs I always did with every rebuild of that VW's motor; which for an amateur overhaul, ran a long time and acted like a new VW would've for most of that engine's life. I think VWs sort of suck; except for being something cheap and simple enough to go into mechanically, so that they present a whole alternative realm to the automotive experience. Unfortunately also by design; compatible most with the Nazi mentality, is easy to remember.

I can imagine a far different world, with ultra-light cars; perhaps as in a tradition of those initially built in Germany following the second world war, the Isettas, Meschersmits and such? And say a 35 mph top speed, even. Who of real sense and intelligence is in any hurry, the way the world is going; and has been for so long?

The spring of '68, prior to my high school band's summer performance tour of places in northern Europe, six countries in twenty-eight days including Warsaw & East Berlin; as part of our week long camp in preparation for the journey, I did a book report on a title "Small Wonder" about the Volkswagen Beetle.

What amazed me, is that despite all the Nazi financial problems as the war took a turn and subsequently, in favor of the Soviet Union and that determinant victor's allies; never did the Nazis touch any of the funds the German people had been required to contribute towards each family ultimately ending up with their own VW; still intact in their accounts at the end of the war.[http://books.google.com/books/about/...=heziKSWLPk8C]

Comment

Ive had about 10 Squarebacks and Fastbacks plus one Notchback. The Notch was hit in front so I welded on a clip from a Squareback with no title and set it on a pan with a title. Also had about a half-dozen busses and a few Ghias. And a '58 single-cab.

Comment

Working...
                X