New old car for college kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old car for college kid

Hi all My kid needs new used car for college ('96 Camry Tranny went teets-up). Criteria: 1) Reliable (Humboldt State -very isolated) 2) Safe 3) High MPG's (his highest priority). $5000.00 max., under 100k miles.

So far - Toyota Echo (Yaris too expensive)

Hyundai Accent or Elantra Hatchback GT

Older Civic

Saturn Ion (Suprisingly good MPG's)

Older Ford Focus (SVT?)
    Most all would be manual transmission.
    Any to add? Thanks!
    Last edited by seattlestiva; 04-19-2012, 05:47 PM.

Subary Legacy Gt based solely on my opinion on looks.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

the subby will only get you 30 hwy mpg if you're lucky.

stay away from the SVT focus ($900 clutch job)

look at a 03 or newer cavalier or sunfire and any 323 or protege.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Forgot the Chevy Aveo. Cheap little car (Daewoo), but can snag one with only 35,000 miles
        for 5K (manual w a/c)

Comment

^ junk.... (at least the first gens)
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

My Saturn has been damn reliable over the years we've had it. It's had a rough life, unfortunately, but we do our best to maintain it, and after 230,000 miles on it, I'd drive it to California tomorrow with only an oil change.
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I second the Echo. Stay away from the Aveo. I worked at a GM dealership and the tech's all recommended avoiding the early Aveo.

Comment

^ x2 on the saturns. I had a '96 (second gen) SL1 5 speed which was putting down 35mpgs running pizza. Finally died with about 300k on the clock because someone borrowed it and drive it more than I thought they would without topping off the oil (it lost about a quart every couple hundred miles through a leaking crank seal I never found the time to replace). If they'd kept the oil up in it it probably would have gone another 300 on that motor. The guy that bought it put in a used motor from a wrecked oneand last I talked to him he'd logged another 100k on it without a problem.
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                  My Saturn has been damn reliable over the years we've had it. It's had a rough life, unfortunately, but we do our best to maintain it, and after 230,000 miles on it, I'd drive it to California tomorrow with only an oil change.
                  I've grown fond of Saturn over the years as well. I think they can be overlooked but if you do some research almost everyone who has one loves it. Very reliable. I think you will be better off getting a nice older (90's) car and spending more then spending that same amount on a newer cheaper car.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                  The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

My dad bought my mother a brand new Ford Festiva in 93 and swore over the course of 15 years that it was the best car they'd ever owned (and he was right!). They'd had a 55 Pontiac, 60 Rambler, 68 Vauxhall Viva, 74 Chevy Vega and 82 Chevette before that. Repair-wise the poor car (even though it always was well-maintained) was eating him out of house and home during the last 3 years. He threw in the towel and gave me the car a year and a half ago and went out and bought a low mileage used 05 Echo 2 door hatch 'stripper' (manual trans, crank windows, and no air).
                    He's 86 years old now and he really loves that car. His 02 Chev Impala (wonderful highway car) is gathering dust in the garage. Fuel economy hasn't changed either, according to him, and the Echo is much more comfortable and more stable at highway speeds, and other than my volunteering to re-do the brakes and change the oil and tires, has not been to a garage. And you know what? I can't disagree with him. I borrow it now and again.
                    FordFestiva.com cars are at least 10 years older than what ordinary and frugal people are comfortable with. I've put almost 1/2 million kilometers on 3 Festys over the past 8 years but I too am running out of steam trying to keep these things alive as daily drivers. But they are unique and fun to drive and relatively easy to learn to fix. And in my case, a nostalgic, but much updated, return to pretending to drive Austin Minis back in the days (early 70s) when no one gave a hoot about the price of gas and radial tires were an extravagant novelty.

Comment

+3 on Saturns.....but they do have issues.

My 96 SW1 5spd gets 39 MPG and has been extremely reliable. I beat the car like a rented mule.

306K miles and the original clutch still grabs pretty good.

All "S" series Saturns burn oil. Some are better than others. The oil has to be checked every time you fill the tank. If checking the oil is an issue then a Saturn "S" series will be a big problem.

Comment

mazdas..maybe an mx5 miata, sentra..? Down this way I would
                        stick to more common stuff or be willing to wait a day for parts to
                        arrive.
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Echo sounds best to me.

Beware of problems with auto Ions.

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Festiva! Reliable and economical. 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

Comment

Festiva .. make them buy their own car...welcome to grown up world.

Comment

Working...
                              X