No announcement yet.

B6 Exhaust Piping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait minute...what if I pull out to pass a semi on a two lane road...and some how a high pressure builds between the two vehicles. Just enough to cancel my acceleration, but not enough for me to figure out what's going on.

I'll be stuck there...no doubt with another semi comin' at me.

:banghead:
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Okay

I'm building my side outlet today.

The actual exhaust openings will be cut in the bottom flat plate, with the exhaust flow pointed down toward the ground.

This will make the car seem quieter, in the sense that the sound won't be pointed at the neighbors' houses, or passing cars.

Aerodynamic flow in this area? I'm clueless. It's trial and error engineering.
      '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
        Okay

I'm building my side outlet today.

The actual exhaust openings will be cut in the bottom flat plate, with the exhaust flow pointed down toward the ground.

This will make the car seem quieter, in the sense that the sound won't be pointed at the neighbors' houses, or passing cars.

Aerodynamic flow in this area? I'm clueless. It's trial and error engineering.
        The flow under a car in the area above the lowest point of the chassis is generally stagnant. I'm not sure about right at a transition edge near the rocker, though. That all really depends on the body's shape and vehicle speed.

I'm gonna end up doing a side-exit, too. I have about a million little tidbits of information stuck in my head at any given point in time, so if I some a situation where one applies, I just throw it out there. Whether or not the person is concerned about it, that's their call.

Comment

Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
          Let's see if we can't get a turbo muffler to fit in the 'cat slot'.

My side outlet is progressing, but I'm probably going to have to stuff it with wadding to run as I am; without a muffler.

My next phase would be to design a side outlet that clamps directly to a glasspack. A glasspack will barely fit in the Festiva tunnel, if I can find one short enough. This would be direct fit cat back system. A turbo muffler instead of the cat, followed by my glasspack/side outlet would be a contender for ultimate Festiva exhaust (IMHO).
          I am going with a .... "special".... cat, and a hi flow muffler, in the stock locations.

And hey..I like the moniker .... Dr. D
          Last edited by drddan; 05-25-2012, 04:53 PM.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Why don't you check out Jones mufflers. They have tons of different sizes and styles, and they're cheap. - know they make a muffler with std. Inlet and an outlet on the side of the case.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I am just beginning the exhaust install for my B6. I have decided to go with 2" pipe, based on pipe diameter guidelines. I have found a 2" resonator and a 2" muffler.

I have decided not to buy an expensive 2" cat, but just weld a pair of mild steel flanges on the stock cat for easy swapping for Drive Clean testing every two years.
              So, I will need 4 stainless flanges + two copper flange gaskets. One of the stainless flanges will be required on the header. Two on the resonator. One on the rest of the exhaust pipe to resonator.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 10-23-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X