Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
    not so sure about that...I have had increase of 5 mpg when using 100%, to me that makes it worth and extra 5 miles.
    I haven't experienced 5mpg increase, but my Festiva is getting 3+mpg increase. The engine runs smoother & quieter(like) & pulls more hills without shifting down( like a lot). The extra mpg is like carrying an extra 0.75+ gallons....... without paying for the extra gas or replacing the old gas tank with a bigger gas tank. Last tank of 100% ethanol-free gasoline was 47 mpg(finally, spring is getting warmer).

Comment

How in the world are u guys getting such great mileage? I am doing everything you guys are talking about but at best I have gotten 38.6 mpg. I do drive a decent amount in the city and a lot of it is back country roads and I NEVER go over 60 . . . my tires are out of balance which my explain my mpg and explains the reason I don't go over 60.
      88L - Awaiting bigger and better things
      92L - Dead and needs love - was DD
      91 - Shell with title
      92GL - receiving B8 Swap and will be DD

Comment

Originally posted by TheNewAmericanSpirit View Post
        How in the world are u guys getting such great mileage? I am doing everything you guys are talking about but at best I have gotten 38.6 mpg. my tires are out of balance which my explain my mpg and explains the reason I don't go over 60.
        Get your tires aligned & balanced. Pump them up.... even 3 or 4 psi more than normal. Make sure your air filter is clean & spark plugs are gapped properly with a tan coating, not oily or corroded.

Also, you have at least 4 stations selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline in High Point, North Carolina. Use 100% pure gasoline. Get away from ethanol. Go to pure-gas.org to find addresses & a great zoomable map to the 5000+stations selling 100% pure gasoline. Since switching to 100% pure gas, our 3 cars' mpg have increased 6%, 7-8%, & the Festiva has increased 8%.

Comment

litesong wrote:
          Jawohl! Do it now. Nothing like a 50+mpg car on a long journey......... & remember the 100% gasoline!
          /////////////
          Darlo wrote:
          Fix the brakes, forget about the 100% gas, lol.......Stick to things that really matter, such as driving slower on the highway, and proper tire inflation, etc.
          /////////////
          litesong wrote:
          To get the most efficiency out of ethanol, you must use straight ethanol & use an engine specifically designed to use ethanol. An ethanol engine has much higher compression than a gasoline engine, which can much more efficiently use the high octane nature of ethanol. Combined with a method such as direct fuel-injection, even higher compression ratios can be obtained, somewhat like a diesel or turbo-diesel engine. However, a very high compression ethanol engine, if it could be mass marketed would have a much quicker payback period than a turbo-diesel engine.

Anyhow, 10% ethanol blends used in for-gasoline-designed engines, is NOT a good way to burn ethanol efficiently. You lose the btu loss per gallon that the ethanol doesn't have, plus the power loss that can't be accessed, since the gasoline engine doesn't have enough compression.
          Last edited by litesong; 05-01-2012, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by litesong View Post
            Get your tires aligned & balanced. Pump them up.... even 3 or 4 psi more than normal. Make sure your air filter is clean & spark plugs are gapped properly with a tan coating, not oily or corroded.

Also, you have at least 4 stations selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline in High Point, North Carolina. Use 100% pure gasoline. Get away from ethanol. Go to pure-gas.org to find addresses & a great zoomable map to the 5000+stations selling 100% pure gasoline. Since switching to 100% pure gas, our 3 cars' mpg have increased 6%, 7-8%, & the Festiva has increased 8%.
            Believe it or not one of those stations was a mile from my house but only sold 100% in 89. I didn't choose to get it because the 89 was 22cents more expensive a gallon. The station that sells 87 in 100% was a station that I filled up at last time not knowing it was 100% I did get 40.5mpg on that last tank and I did drive it fairly hard from time to time. So I think I will start filling up at that station Thanks for the tips!!!
            91 - Shell with title

Comment

I just got off the phone with one of my dad's friends that has two of the gas stations here in High Point that sales the ethanol-free gas. He said that because of GOVERNMENT mandates there are is a certain percentage of his fuel that has to be blended. So if you are wondering why ethanol-free gas isn't in more places blame the government
              91 - Shell with title

Comment

I just got off the phone with one of my dad's friends that has two of the gas stations here in High Point that sales the ethanol-free gas. He said that because of GOVERNMENT mandates there are is a certain percentage of his fuel that has to be blended. So if you are wondering why ethanol-free gas isn't in more places blame the government
                Old news & there are other reasons too. Those percentages of ethanol blended into gasoline have & are going up. So there is a strong possibility of seeing even MORE ETHANOL IN GASOLINE TO BE BURNED IN GASOLINE ENGINES AT INEFFICIENT LEVELS.

That's why pure-gas.org is important, as they blow the whistle on ethanol & its far too inefficient use in gasoline engines. Also, pure-gas.org tells you where the 10 out of every 350 stations are, that DO sell 100% gasoline.

Comment

Believe it or not one of those stations was a mile from my house but only sold 100% in 89. I didn't choose to get it because the 89 was 22cents more expensive a gallon. The station that sells 87 in 100% was a station that I filled up at last time not knowing it was 100% I did get 40.5mpg on that last tank and I did drive it fairly hard from time to time. So I think I will start filling up at that station Thanks for the tips!!!
                  YEAH, TheNewAmericanSpirit! Yes, you are right. Seems a lot of stations sell 100% gas in higher octanes only. pure-gas.org tries to tell the details at each station if you access the state listings & click on 'details'. I suspect the stations may have limited pumps to run 100% gasoline & make sure they have 100% gasoline for the higher octane rated engines that need it, such as vehicles towing trailers, specially in scenic tourist regions.

It is good you have a variety of stations to choose from. I have stations selling 100% gasoline within 7 miles of me, but fill up at a further, but very competitively priced 100% gasoline station at 2100 Broadway, Everett, WA. Fortunately, the farther station is near one of my regular routes. My last tank was 47 mpg with 100% gasoline & I was away from gas stations for a long time(which I love).

Carefully remember how your car responded on 10% ethanol blends. You will note with 100% ethanol-free gasoline, that your engine now is smoother, quieter & you need less downshifting as you ascend some hills.

I try to give stations selling 100% gasoline, my line graphs showing the jump in mpg comparing my old 10% ethanol blend records & my new 100% ethanol-free gasoline records. The owners love my line graphs. The owners now show the jumps between the 10% ethanol blends & the 100% ethanol-free gasolines to their customers.

Your mpg jump of ~9% for 1 tank is NOT unexpected, altho it seem a bit more than my average mpg jump. Keep using 100% gasoline consistently. Really clear out your tank of the ethanol. Keep careful records of your 100% gasoline mpg tanks. Hopefully, you have careful records of your (past?) use of 10% ethanol blends. Yeah, you can show other people you know, your jumps in mpg after using 100% gasoline.

pure-gas.org now states that they list 5100 stations selling 100% ethanol-free gasoline.
                  Last edited by litesong; 05-01-2012, 11:06 AM.

Comment

This last tank was only my 4th tank I've filled up since buying the Festiva I do plan on trying to convert or largely supplement the fuel with hydrogen.
                    91 - Shell with title

Comment

litesong

This last tank was only my 4th tank I've filled up since buying the Festiva I do plan on trying to convert or largely supplement the fuel with hydrogen.
                      Keep pushing your Festiva to higher mpg. Even at today's high gas prices, when you start getting 50 to 55mpg, going from sea level to mountain passes of 5000+ feet, then the freedom to dwell large in your home region, comes alive.

Comment

Where do you plan to get the hydrogen?
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I wonder how many miles per gallon a 1956 Cadillac Eldorado got with this setup?
                          Last edited by bravekozak; 06-27-2012, 07:39 AM.

Comment

^Nothing... probably in the 3-5 range
                            Owner of:
                            1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                            In progress:
                            BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                            X