STOCK Festiva top speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STOCK Festiva top speed?

Hi, I have a completely stock 1989 Carburated 4-speed manual Festiva.

Does anyone know what the top speed in these are?

I'm just wondering because I plan to do a lot of 70+ mph highway driving in the future. I don't have a tachometer, but it seems like the RPMs are running kind of high at this speed. Anyone know how close to redline 70-75mph is?

By the way, would the highway rpms differ at all if I were to put in a 5-speed?

On my way to Paynesville for the MN meet, I was running 65mph and I do believe that was at/around 3500RPM. I'll double check on my way home after work tonight, but at 55MPH I know it's around 3000-3200.
    Mike Holmgren
    Thief Rvr Fls, MN
    1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
    "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by mintFestiva View Post
      Hi, I have a completely stock 1989 Carburated 4-speed manual Festiva.

Does anyone know what the top speed in these are?

I'm just wondering because I plan to do a lot of 70+ mph highway driving in the future. I don't have a tachometer, but it seems like the RPMs are running kind of high at this speed. Anyone know how close to redline 70-75mph is?

By the way, would the highway rpms differ at all if I were to put in a 5-speed?
      Sorry I can't answer more accurately but I quick answer is you are fine and have plenty of room to reach red line. I've driven my 4 speed at 70-80 mph for hours. It sounds like it is screaming but it is just fine. A 5 speed would lower rpms and help boost mpg's. However, your 4 speed will be just fine at those speeds. Top speed is close to 100 I think? It has been a while since I've driven a b3 :p
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
        Sorry I can't answer more accurately but I quick answer is you are fine and have plenty of room to reach red line. I've driven my 4 speed at 70-80 mph for hours. It sounds like it is screaming but it is just fine. A 5 speed would lower rpms and help boost mpg's. However, your 4 speed will be just fine at those speeds. Top speed is close to 100 I think? It has been a while since I've driven a b3 :p
        I've wondered the same … never got around to asking but, let me get this straight, even though on my 5 speed the thing says a max of 80 but truly it will do approximately 100?
        "Today, no American family can be secure against the danger that one of its children may decide to become an artist"

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

^^The Festiva isn't exactly a sports car and was bought for economy. I don't think they ever thought the car would ever even get close to 85. lol
          Mike Holmgren
          Thief Rvr Fls, MN
          1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
          "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by KJ4YXY View Post
            I've wondered the same … never got around to asking but, let me get this straight, even though on my 5 speed the thing says a max of 80 but truly it will do approximately 100?
            It is very typical for a cars speedo to not accurately depict actual top speed. Even with cars that say 140 or 160... Doesn't mean they can do that. Vice Versa with our cars 85 is not the limit but back in the 80's speed limits were much lower so 85 was a long way off of the speed limit so there is no need to go past 85.

I thought at one point I brought my EFI b3 4 speed up to 100 or 105 via GPS but I can't remember. I've definitely had it pegged and going faster than 85
            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

fastest i have gone in my stock 5 speed was 93 mph, i had a good tailwind
              91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
              06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

My B3 is stock and with 2000 lbs of Elk camp in tow it topped at a GPS of 85 mph and
                stayed there with the diesel pickups for 2 hours across the desert to huh more
                desert where we made camp. The Diesel guys took two hours after we made camp
                to go find fuel. I topped off with a little of the fuel I brought for the honda Rincon
                Quad that was stuffed in my trailer somewhere. During the next two weeks they went
                to town every other day. I hunted Elk and every year I get one. It is because I can
                stay on the Elk and hunt while the other guys watch their fuel gauge. I ditch my quad
                and chase tracks with no worry about being to many miles out to go get my Elk.
                These guys fret about fuel, miles, endless desert and one has got an Elk out of all
                of them and all of these years. Festiva's rock!! They make the impossible possible!
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Whether you run a 4 speed or a 5 the top end is going to be the same. The overdrive gearing is same ratio on both. That said an automatic is a whole different kettle of fish with only 3 gears, and none of them being an overdrive.
                  Fuel economy is optimum at around 50-55 and if 70-75 mph is what turns your crank the cars will do it easy enough but expect to take a hit at the pump. Our little boxes are not particularly aerodynamic.

Comment

I don't know either, but I thought I'd add to the, "It will go faster than 85." sentiments.

Cause, it will.
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Engine rpms @70mph with a 5 speed are around 2700. This is with 13" tires a little larger than stock.

Comment

Ive had a stock 4 speed carby to 100 mph via gps. Stock 5 speed efi to 108 and b8 swapped with stock trans to 127.
                        Ford Fester

Comment

I know the top speed of Mazda 121s was rated at around 94 or 96 mph in their literature. I'm pretty sure they were carbed.

Top speed with either manual will be via fourth gear, since fifth would have less mechanical advantage over the wind resistance, which is the main factor limiting top speed.

I don't think carbies have a rev limiter, so you are probably in danger of blowing your engine only in the first three gears. I'm pretty sure EFIs are electronically rev limited.

I wouldn't be surprised if certain combinations of stock B3 and tires, with advantageous wind direction and/or slight downhills would allow top speeds of over 100 mph. Use of a GPS should provide fairly accurate speed, while trusting the stock speedo won't.

And now a little safety reminder of how old our little cars are and how important it is to make sure everything is in tiptop shape.

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the information!
                            I see that I shouldn't have any problems going 70 with 2 passengers and gear.

So 2XClutchin says he runs 65mph at 3500 RPMs with a 4-speed,
                            90Fomoco says 2700 with a 5-speed and 13 inch rims,

Is there anyone with a 5-speed and 11-inch rims that could give me an RPM reading as well?

Want to weigh just how much a 5-speed could save on the MPGs

Comment

The rim size is not as important as the tire size. For example, someone running 155/80-12s will be turning fewer rpms than someone with 195/45-14s. That 12" combo is one centimeter taller than the 14" combo!

Right now I'm running 175/60-13s. That is six millimeters lower than the 155/80-12 and will up my rpms a tiny bit.

All of the following combos are about the same height and rpm range:

155/80-13
                              175/70-13
                              185/60-14
                              195/50-15

These are all about 12mm taller than the 155/80-12 and about 20mm taller than the stock tire sizes of 145/80-12 or 165/70-12.

Karl
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                              X