In a tough spot with a car decision whats the best choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a tough spot with a car decision whats the best choice

I have always wanted a dodge omni glh and now have the oppurtunuty to build on. I have the body kit on the omni and I have the glh hood and all. I have 2 t1 motors and a turbo trans and a t1 harness and the top of my garage filled with all kind if other parts that came with the car. The seller was going to make a clone and didn't follow through. This was my wifes car and it started giving us problems and with all the work put into it with minimal results my wife wanted to give up on it and and accept a generous offer from her mom for a hand me down corolla. So the omni in its condition is worth more in scrap with all the parts than it is selling it, this car obviously has a narrow market. Do I now have the opportunity to finish the clone. But......... If I do this my wife says I have to ditch one of my festys. I'm in a nail biting dilemma, what do I do? Is building this glh clone worth giving up a festy. From what I know they are very easy/cheap to get an 11 sec daily driver out of. Anyway there is the story and I can't seem to convince her that these are "my" cars. They weren't bought at some used car lot modded, me and some of my good friends put blood sweat and even sometimes tears (mostly mine) into these cars. If I had to make a choice I want my bp but I named it relentless because it fights me on everything and is not been very reliable as a daily yet. This sucks
    -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
    -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Srt4 or turbo 3 swap :p

Sell one of you're festys to Amanda.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
      Srt4 or turbo 3 swap :p

Sell one of you're festys to Amanda.
      Rt4 is a pretty intense and expensive swap very few have done it. Ill be working my way toward t3 eventually.

Maybe I will sell one to amanda we will see. All I know is if I I part with one I refuse to sell it to anyone who is not an active member here
      -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
      -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

That is a tough decision. The Omni is a Great Little Car. But I'd have to say keep the Festivas. This would keep it simple for you in terms of maintaining a parts supply.
        '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

easy get rid of the wife!

Comment

^ Yes, you can find many women, but there were only 350000 festivas imported to this country. That is 1 for every 1000 people in this country.
            Owner of:
            1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
            In progress:
            BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Do the GLH Clone man, that is way more rare than a festiva!
              89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
              94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
              2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
              1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

It would be hard for me to give up a festiva if that would leave me with only one left. But that GLH would be a pretty neat/unique car to have, or to throw up on Ebay once its done, that kinda thing is rare enough that you could probably find someone to pay decent bucks for it and fly in from wherever they are to pick it up!
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                  ....throw up on Ebay once its done, ....
                  This. You aren't planning to keep the GLH. It's an investment. Of course, you couldn't be blamed if it didn't sell for the price you want and you had to keep it, now could you?
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

In response to all:

I would probably keep the glh. Its always been#2 on my coveted list #1 of course is the grand national but I dont think I'll ever want to own one because its my white unicorn. I just wish there was a way I could convince her. And like i said, I want to keep the bp but theit has just been a jerk to me up to this point. Grrrrrrrr! This sucks!

Just makes me want to kick a puppy and bomb a small country like gorge w bush jr
                    Last edited by bobbyspider; 05-21-2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

If it's your #2 all time who knows when you will be able to get another chance to do this man.
                      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

There was a '92 Spirit R/T that came up for sale locally recently, reportedly rust free from Alaska with 68K? Problem (mine) was they wanted $3500 for the car.
                        1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                        1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                        1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                        2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                        2005 Accord - wife's DD
                        2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Who wears the Jockeys in the family? Either way you have an investment. Build the Omni, then list both for sale, and keep the one that doesn't sell first!!!
                          Last edited by hotfordcat; 05-21-2012, 09:45 AM.
                          Chuck
                          Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                          If money will fix it, it's not broken
                          91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                          93 GL - Lil Red
                          91 L - Tweetystiva
                          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
                            If I do this my wife says I have to ditch one of my festys. I'm in a nail biting dilemma, what do I do? Is building this glh clone worth giving up a festy.
                            Here's Solution #1: Instead of green, paint Festiva wheels pink. Your wife will fall in love with the Festiva, which I assume she didn't like previously. The advantage of this tactic is that you show how much you love your wife.

Solution #2: Tell her there is far fewer spare parts needed for the Festiva, than with the Omni & the driveway will have far less clutter, than the Omni will collect. The advantage with this solution is that it is true.

Comment

Keep all the cars, and tell the wife "you'll buy her something nice" once the GLH clone is "perfected" and sold for max $.

She'll say, "I like the way you do business 'big boy'. "

Stall for time, and buy her flowers every time you drop $500 on the cars.

'88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Working...
                              X