Ford and Mazda Divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford and Mazda Divorce

Yes this is Festiva related, because there will be no more. I learned that back in 2010. Ford reduced their share in Mazda to a "symbolic" 3%. They will continue to share technologiies, but are now struggling and have lost money for the past 4 years. A new cooperation with Fiat will yield a new Spider built on the new MX-5 platform with the Fiat 1.8L 250hp!!! motor. They say it could result in a merger because neither company is doing to well right now. This would mean that Mazda would be working on the same platforms as Chrysler... Chrysler Festiva. Just don't roll off the toungue very well.
    Owner of:
    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
    In progress:
    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

w00t! MOPAR OR NO CAR!
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

It's really too bad. Mazda has so far really impressed me with engine design and durability and in how amazingly well they engineered an otherwise frivolous (disposable) Ford-badged econocar (Festys!). My 'made in USA' (Canada actually but who cares; same unionized ideology) 86 F150 is poverty cousin with regard to engineering, care of assembly and thoughtfulness of design in the long term as compared to all the Festys I've worked on or disassembled. And Ford manufactured tens of millions of 80-96 F-series! And only got sloppier as they went along.
      The current Mazda 2, which shares a structural platform with the Ford Fiesta, is a good example. On paper the Ford is more refined and smooth but in practice the Mazda beats it every time in fuel economy and performance. I have a sneaking suspicion that Ford has cut many more corners in making their version of that car than Mazda does...and Mazda Co. even offers diesel power in their cars everywhere but in n. America. There is serious 'backroom manoevering' and or manufacture collusion going on here that all conspires to discourage Mazda.

Chrysler-Fiat-Skoda-Llada-Edsel Festiva? Will likely require a tow truck assist on the way to the JY or auto recycler on the third anniversary of your purchase, whether you even drove it or not before hand. And also require a clean up crew to gather up shedding and eroded parts all along the way over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        The current Mazda 2, which shares a structural platform with the Ford Fiesta, is a good example. On paper the Ford is more refined and smooth but in practice the Mazda beats it every time in fuel economy and performance. I have a sneaking suspicion that Ford has cut many more corners in making their version of that car than Mazda does...and Mazda Co. even offers diesel power in their cars everywhere but in n. America. There is serious 'backroom manoevering' and or manufacture collusion going on here that all conspires to discourage Mazda.
        I have a 2012 Mazda 2 that is averaging 38 MPG with the 5 speed and mixed driving. I'm pretty sure that is close to the advertised 5 speed mpg range on the fiesta. The sales guy said every time someone came in looking for a Fiesta he would have them test drive the 2 as well. He said the only time he sells the Fiestas are when people refuse to drive the 2 "cuz this is 'merica!"

I also read a post on another mazda forum that a guy bought the Ford racing handling package for the fiesta and went to put it on his 2. The OEM mazda 2 parts were the Ford Racing handling package! That speaks volumes to me. Sure the 2 could have more power, but it handles like you wouldn't believe in stock form. As soon as it is paid off (2 years is how I have it budgeted) the performance mods will come! (unless they release a 3 door mazdaspeed 2)
        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...

Facebook Me!

Comment

'speed 2 ftw! Stuff the speed 3 motor in it and that'd be a heck of a car...
          89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
          92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
          New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

its been done before!

Facebook Me!

Comment

Mmm I like...

Shame its only a show car...

I had to Google it lol
              89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
              92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
              New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. Ford selling intrest in Mazda was a financial move. Ford is growing stronger every day. They just took ownership of the trademark oval logo, Mustang and F150 names. They are building some of the best cars available. As for the Fiesta/2 platforms, they probably couldn't market the exact same car anyway. Ford themselves has a partnership with Fiat on the Ka platform (Europe). When you buy the performance version of the Fiat, you get the Ford spec chassis. It would be my hope that without a non-compete agreement with Mazda, Ford would be free to offer the European versions of cars here in the states. If Mazda joins up with Fiat, they will follow them into the ground along with Chrysler. Without Mazda, ford will have to raise the bar to compete with Honda and Toyota in America. They already have the cars to do it in Europe.h
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Where is mine, and how do I get it?

-Scott
                  Aqua 93 L
                  Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                  White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

No more zoom zoom?

I saw a Yozara in the Mazda showroom just last week.
                    Yes, the four snow tires were in the back.

Comment

No more zoom zoom?

I saw a Yozora in the Mazda showroom just last week.
                      Yes, the four snow tires were in the back.

I can't wait to accent my green Festiva with some red graphics.

Comment

What a shame -
                        And they say change is for the better.
                        "Today, no American family can be secure against the danger that one of its children may decide to become an artist"

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

That looked pretty cool. But yea...Mazda engines...Ford's been doing the dirty lately...It will be a very very big blow to ford. Mazda wont care much. Fiat?! daaayumm!
                          Raising the bar for compact cars around the world.
                          .:: 1997 Aspire ::. The Glowspire. Revived project
                          .:: 1998 Aspire ::. The Glowspire red bean. Current Project

My Ford Aspire DIY Wing Conversion
                          Glow_Mouse's 97' Glowspire
                          Glow_Mouse's 98' Glowspire
                          Ford Aspire Forum Here!
                          Order FordAspire.com Decals Range 1!
                          Order FordAspire.com Decals Range 2!

Comment

Originally posted by Glow_Mouse View Post
                            That looked pretty cool. But yea...Mazda engines...Ford's been doing the dirty lately...It will be a very very big blow to ford. Mazda wont care much. Fiat?! daaayumm!
                            Mazda engines? Since the late 90's, Mazda had been using Ford engines till recently... The only engine Mazda built was the Renesis. And Mazda does care. They had to, and wanted to invest heavily in piston engine development a few years ago. That's one thing that has seriously diminished their working capital. Mazda bought back Ford's shares with an agreement to make them available to Ford again at some point in the future. It was a move by Ford to raise liquid cash, and by the Japanese government to bring ownership of Mazda back on shore.
                            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Ford will do just fine. The Eco-boost and Coyote engines are proof. As Ford continues to grow stronger, I suspect they will buy back into Mazda if Mazda gets in too much trouble. If not, it will be Fords decision. More like a legal seperation than a divorce.
                              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                              X