X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• litesong
    replied
    Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
    Very interesing! Please keep us informed. Still not sure if its worth the almost 1.00/gal. more for pure-gas.
    Seems that 100% gasoline in Tampa area are only offered in high octane levels with their corresponding high prices. Florida has a tendency for a lack of 87 octane fuel in 100% gasoline. Further afield, Bradenton has a 100% gasoline station with 87 octane that should be at a lower cost. Bradenton may not be close enough to you, to be economic.
    Last edited by litesong; 06-03-2012, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Movin
    replied
    ? I suppose mileage could be a factor but if the fuel costs more it really doesn't pencil.
    The reason I am proponent is the ethanol itself causes corrosion to metals present in
    the fuel system, dries some gaskets and seals, ages hoses...this all costs more money
    and frustration in the long run. Cars that are not DD suffer the most.

Leave a comment:

• navdoc101
    replied
    Very interesing! Please keep us informed. Still not sure if its worth the almost 1.00/gal. more for pure-gas.

Leave a comment:

• litesong
    replied
    Originally posted by Darlo View Post
    Using 10% ethanol gas only really has the "potential" to decrease your fuel economy by 4%.
    You repeat the ethanol industry's 2-4% ethanol loss of mpg, as you repeat the ethanol industry's 'report' on mpg loss.

You don't consider that actual ethanol engines use much higher compression ratios than gasoline engines to get the most efficiency out of ethanol. Engines designed to get the most efficiency out of gasoline don't have the high compression ratios of ethanol engines. Thus, using ethanol in gasoline engines isn't getting the most efficiency out of ethanol, over & above the btu loss of ethanol compared to gasoline.

With accurate years-long data of 10% ethanol blend use in our 3 cars, & now, 8 months of 100% pure(ethanol-free) gasoline use, have shown an increase of 8%(now up to 8.3%), 7-8% & 5% in our 3 cars.

Leave a comment:

• Darlo
    replied

And.....

I just found this awesome study that includes a few different mixtures of gas and ethanol and the average decrease in mpg was "1.5% lower mileage with E10, 2.2% lower mileage with E20, 5.1% lower mileage with E30". Read it in the link below!

Basically, Ethanol burns 60% as efficiently as gasoline, and since gas with 10% ethanol is 90% pure gas, we only have 10% of the volume being 60% efficient. So if 90% is at 100% efficiency, and 10% is at 60% efficiency, we have a total of 96% efficiency compared to 100% pure gas.

Or........

0.9*1.0 + 0.1*.6 = .9 + .06 = .96 = 96%

Leave a comment:

• 91mcnasty
    replied
    im very curious how you figure the 4 percent loss, mind going into the "equation" i guess you could say. i only ask because ive read alot of your posts and you strike me as a VERY well educated individual. Thanks in advance!

Leave a comment:

• Darlo
    replied
    Oh dear.......

BTW ---> My Echo averages 25% above EPA estimates on normal (10% ethanol) gas.
    BTW ---> My Festiva averaged 40% above EPA also using only normal everyday gas. With an AVERAGE of 46.2mpg (higher than 45.5).

Using 10% ethanol gas only really has the "potential" to decrease your fuel economy by 4%. So unless you don't have to go out of your way or pay anything more, just stick with regular (10% ethanol) gas, and make changes that will matter. (Drive 55MPH max, keep tires inflated, dont accelerate needlessly, etc.)
    Last edited by Darlo; 05-31-2012, 04:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• litesong
    replied
    Originally posted by loknlode View Post
    I'm on my 2nd tank of pure gas. (89 oct.) may try 93 since prices are down.
    The important thing about 100% pure(ethanol-free) gasoline, is the lack of ethanol. Your best mpg in most Festivas will be with 87 octane 100% pure gasoline & you won't need the higher priced upper octanes. With 280 stations selling 100% pure gasoline in S. Carolina, hunt for the ones with a good price.

Leave a comment:

• litesong
    replied
    Originally posted by loknlode View Post
    this is the first week of pure gas and changed oil this am to synthetic 5w 30. I'll keep you posted as to the effect it has on my 89 carby. it was doing 34.5 mpgs city and 40.2 hwy. we'll see where we are in about 2 weeks or 500 or so miles.

I have noticed it idles a little lower (about 200 rpm) and it sounds less like a diesel.
    I'm on my 2nd tank of pure gas. (89 oct.) may try 93 since prices are down.
    Switched to pure(ethanol-free) gasoline 8 months ago. With years(decades) of accurate 10% ethanol blend gasoline use summarized in fine line-graphs, side to side comparisons with 8 months of 100% pure gasoline use in our 3 cars, show car increases in mpg of 8%, 7-8%, & 5%. All 3 engines run smoother, quieter, & with extra HP to ascend hills with less downshifting.

Two of the cars set their all-time record mpg tanks within 3 weeks of using 100% pure gasoline. The Dodge Caliber AVERAGES 22% OVER its EPA highway rating & has a top mpg of 10mpg OVER the EPA highway average. The Ford Festiva now averages 45.5mpg with a top of 57+mpg.
    Last edited by litesong; 05-28-2012, 11:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DriverOne
    replied
    Not quite! I'll PM you in a bit. Still going XR2.

Leave a comment:

• Movin
    replied
    Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
    In fact I do. There was no problem with the carby engine in the '88. It runs and drives great! The frame rot was the killer, and I removed the car from the road because I felt it was no longer safe to drive.
    mini motorhome project??

Leave a comment:

• DriverOne
    replied
    Originally posted by htchbck View Post
    Wasn't aware you had a running festiva ATM?
    In fact I do. There was no problem with the carby engine in the '88. It runs and drives great! The frame rot was the killer, and I removed the car from the road because I felt it was no longer safe to drive.

Leave a comment:

• 2xclutchin
    replied
    ^^ This is true. I hope I don't get into any trouble! haha

Leave a comment:

• htchbck
    replied
    Originally posted by 2xclutchin View Post
    Festiva is quite similar to a ATV, right? lol
    Only difference is, the Festiva is a little smaller :mrgreen:

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
    That seems to please my carby car best.
    Wasn't aware you had a running festiva ATM?

Leave a comment:

• 2xclutchin
    replied
    I think I might try switching to non-ethanol. Nice thing about up here, all 91 octane is pure. "Only use in classic autos, snomobiles and ATV's." Festiva is quite similar to a ATV, right? lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X