No announcement yet.

Festiva road trip plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that same festiva when i went by the roadside vender. Honked my horn and gave a huge wave and so did he!
    Ford Fester

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
      After a long hot (98 degrees in Vegas) drive from Bishop CA to Flagstaff AZ we met up with Charlie and his friend Kelsey last night. Had a great meal together and they showed us around Flagstaff a little bit.

This morning Charlie met us and led the way up to the Grand Canyon. He showed us a number of lookouts along highway 64.

We had lunch at Desert View. After lunch we toures the watch tower, said our goodbyes and then continued east along 64.

Charlie left ahead of us and we thought he was long gone. As we came around a corner there he was waving us down at one of the roadside vendors. The owner, Elmer, was driving a blue Festiva! I didn't take any pictures with my phone but will post a couple up when I get to a computer.

Charlie dubbed our little mini-meet "Southwestiva"

A huge thankyou to Charlie and Kelsey for taking time to show us around. It made our visit to Flagstaff and the Canyon that much more enjoyable. It's an area we definitely want to spend more time in.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
      Your very welcome Ian, we had a great time with you and your family. Your family vacations are an inspiration, I'm happy I could help.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Sitting on Provo UT after a fairly quiet day. We decided to take things easy today after a couple of late nights. Walked around Cedar City's historic downtown area, grabbed a coffee and a bun then headed north to Provo.

There were a couple a stretches of I-15 were posted with spees limit test sections at 80mph! The Festiva didn't let us down and kept up with traffic.

Tomorrow we continue north to Craters of the Moon National Park.

Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Here is a picture of the three Festivas that made up the Grand Canyon leg of Southwestiva1:p Ian is next to his car, and Elmer is standing in the middle. Elmer owns the Blue Festiva. We told him about the website so hopefully we may have another member sometime. He was very excited to hear that he can always find parts for his little car.

Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Museum of Clean!

We are now in Idaho Falls after a visit to Craters of the Moon National Monument; just an incredible place. On the way up we stopped in Don Aslett's "Museum of Clean" in Pocatello ID. We all had a great time having been shown around the place my Don Aslett himself. It sounds a bit wacky but it was well worth the time we took to stop in.

I've just finished updated the blog up to day 10 of the trip. Lot's of photos to see and I would love to read your comments. Link is in my signature.

Cheers
            Last edited by fastivaca; 06-12-2012, 11:49 PM. Reason: Added photo
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

I-15 in Utah has a couple of "speed limit test sections"!

I think I can... I think I can... I know I can! ... and that's with five of us in the car and the A/C blowing ice cold!

I'm updated the the blog as well and should have up to day 12 done tonight!

Enjoy.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Festiva sighting near Worland, WY.

Comment

Sitting at home and thought I should wrap up this thread. Day 13 was another great day... drove from Idaho Falls into Yellowstone. First of two stops in the park was the Midway Geyser Basin. The second was Old Faithful and the visitor center. Our timing couldn't been much better... Old Faithful blew about 15 minutes after we got there.

After Yellowstone we drove to Worland WY to visit Jeff (gottafesty) and his family. We stayed the night with them and had agreat time... thanks Jeff!

Day 14 took us from Worland back the way came to Cody WY. The target was the Buffalo Bill Historical Center and its five museums. We didn't have enough time to see everything: you could easily spend a couple of days there. We did see the Firearms Museum which houses one of the largest gun collections in the world. If you're in this area I woild highly recommend a visit.

From Cody we made our way to Helena MT, our last overnight stop. The car developed a bad vibration in the front end so I found a tire shop a block from the hotel and had the front wheels balanced.

Hit the I-15 for the run up to Great Falls and the vibration was gone. Stopped in at the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center in Great Falls.

It was now time to head home! Our last leg of the trip was uneventful. The border crossing was smooth but some vibration started to show up again. I'll be off to the tire shop in the morning to get things checked out.

Another great trip... another testimony to the endurance of the Festiva! Watch for a blog update later today!
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Enjoyed seeing you and the family again. Glad you made it home safe.

Comment

Sounded like an awesome trip! What was the total miles and average mileage?
                      Ford Fester

Comment

Originally posted by Ford Fester View Post
                        Sounded like an awesome trip! What was the total miles and average mileage?
                        Total distance was 8400km or just over 5000 miles. Haven't totaled up the gas yet but on our Festiva Madness trip last fall we averaged about 36 miles per US gallon.

I will have the blog updated for the last two days if the trip by the end if the week.

Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Ok, I've done the math...

Distance travelled: 8397 km / 5218 miles
                          Fuel consumed: 533.1 liters / 140.83 US gallons
                          Consumption rate: 6.35 liters per 100km / 37.1 miles per US gallon.
                          Most expensive gas: $1.434 per liter / $5.428 per US gallon in Vancouver BC
                          Least expensive gas: $0.938 per liter / $3.549 per US gallon in Flagstaff AZ
                          Total fuel costs: $604.45
                          Average gas price: $1.134 per liter / $4.293 per US gallon
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

I've updated the blog with the last couple of days of the trip. I've also added a page named "road trip starting points" with links to the first post for each of our latest road trips; "Festiva Madness" trip last fall and "Festiva in the Park", our most recent.

I would really appreciate your comments and suggestions for future trips.

It's been fun sharing our adventures with you.

Thanks

Ian and family

EconoBoxCafe
                            Last edited by fastivaca; 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                            X